• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha NS-550

dusttones

Member
I picked up a pair of Yamaha NS-550 at a thrift store for cheap. I can't find anything about them online. The set I can find online listed as the NS-550's have the ear speaker shape (Like This), but these do not. I'm trying to see if these are are custom or what exactly I have. They say Yamaha NS-550 on the front and have a 12" subwoofer. Thanks for the help!

Here are some pictures:

Pictures
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm kind of surprised that the label on the back says "made in Canada", seems odd for a Japanese Company... Is that a real wood veneer cabinet on them? If so they must be something decent. Also, not to nit picks but that would be a 12" woofer on them, not subwoofer. Anyway, how do they sound? You've got my interest piqued...
 
Looks like real wood to me, they are pretty heavy and seem to be nice, quality speakers. They sound pretty good, a little bass heavy, but I kinda expected that. I've only listened to them for a few hours though. I'm going to refoam them soon and give them another spin. I bought them as a Christmas present for my brother, so I was trying to get some more info for him. I'll post over in the Yamaha section too. Thanks for the input!
 
Here are some pics after I foamed them for those interested. Still haven't found much more info on them though. I posted in the Yamaha section too. All I know is they sound really good!

PICS-2
 
i got some yamaha NS-A636 from goodwill and i am loving them a lot :banana:

mine say made in the U.S.A. though...

(I believe they were only $200 new though)
 
I picked up a pair of Yamaha NS-550 at a thrift store for cheap. I can't find anything about them online. The set I can find online listed as the NS-550's have the ear speaker shape (Like This), but these do not. I'm trying to see if these are are custom or what exactly I have. They say Yamaha NS-550 on the front and have a 12" subwoofer. Thanks for the help!

Here are some pictures:

Pictures
Hey there. I have the exact same pair. Mine have the 12" cone.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20161015_130009493.jpg
    IMG_20161015_130009493.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 28
YAMAHA NS-550 [1973]

The basic research to the base of the NS speaker, developed speaker system aimed at music rich and resolution clear sound.

JA-3505B of NS type Woofer as low-pass with a unique patented structure has been adopted.
It has adopted a large-diameter aluminum ribbon line edgewise-wound voice coil of 52φ.

In the high region it is equipped with a short horn type tweeter JA-0505.
Vibration plate duralumin foil with a thickness of 30μ is adopted to, does not use the bobbin in order to reduce the vibration system, directly connected to the diaphragm and the voice coil, it has become a edgewise wound aluminum ribbon line.
Expanded urethane braking element has earned a high-pass characteristic which is excellent is used between the further diaphragm and the center pole.

Network part is designed to repeatedly listen and static characteristics measurement.
Use the air-core coil in order to avoid the distortion by the network, along with the lower the DC resistance adopted a formal line of 0.8φ, we have to reduce the characteristic change to prevent power loss.
In addition, the capacitor uses a MP capacitor.

Enclosure has a closed system, has become a rare tall Boy type as that time so as not to take the floor space.
In addition, snow white polyester paint on the top plate, has adopted a design which has been subjected to American walnut oil finish to the side plate.





Rating models




method 2-way 2 speakers, a sealing scheme, and a Tallboy type
Use unit For low-pass: NS type (JA-3505B)
High-frequency: 5cm short horn type (JA-0505)
Play frequency band 60Hz ~ 18000Hz
The lowest resonance frequency (fo) 65Hz
Crossover frequency 5kHz, 12dB / oct
Impedance 8Ω
Output sound pressure level 91dB / W / m (new JIS)
Maximum permissible input 36W
External dimensions Width 402 × height 1021 × depth 303mm
weight 32.5kg
 
Back
Top Bottom