• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha NS-670 - lack of bass

just.monarch

New Member
Hey folks! I just bought Yamaha NS-670 speakers in very good condition. Here is how they looks like (not my photo, just for understanding):
1708457436519.png

Bass size is 25 cm.
They sound really "neutral" and balanced. Construction is "closed box". The problem is huge lack of bass( I would like to have at least 50% more bass. It's not just tight and accurate - it's really not enough...
I'm considering following ways of solution:
1. Buy NS-690 (they have 30 cm bass)
2. Try to do smth with NS-670 (soften speaker suspension(it's made of cloth and already seems quite soft for me) or made some changes inside cabinet)
3. Buy another speakers

Any thoughts?

P.s. previosly I had Canton CT-1000 (30 cm bass, also closed box) and the bass response was just mindblowing compare to these 670 yammies...
P.s.s. English is not my native language, I'm sorry for grammar
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The 670's and 690's are known for their lean bass presentation. The bass they do have is tight and accurate like you stated. Yamaha "natural sound."
They really are fine sounding speakers. Try moving them closer to the wall or do what spark1 suggested, a sub.
 
My amp don't have dedicated sub output, so I need to use active one. Active one has it's own volume regulation, which I need manually regulate (by feelings) each time approaching the sub. It seems quite ridiculuous... I'll rather stick with how do they actually sound or just replace them...
 
The volume on the sub should rise in concert with the volume of the amplifier. In most active subs I think what your referring to as volume control is the level control, referring to the level at which it plays in relation to the volume.

I would also make sure you don’t have one of the woofers out of phase, perhaps someone has accidentally reversed the speaker wires for one of the woofers.

Good luck
 
Powered subs usually have two connection options. One is a line level (RCA jack) input. There may be two. However, one RCA socket will be labeled LFE (low frequency effects). If your amplifier/receiver has an LFE output I suggest using that. The other is for high (speaker level) level inputs. They are usually the spring clip type of speaker connectors. For speaker level connections I suggest using the B speaker connectors on your amp/receiver to connect the sub. Some subs have both in and out speaker level connectors. With those you can connect the sub and speakers together.

When using the sub on the B speaker output the amplifier sees the sub as a very high impedance load. This means that the sub does not affect the sound or power going to the speakers.

Regardless of which connection you use, once set, the subs level and crossover frequency controls need no further action. The subs volume will automatically track the main volume control.

To set up a sub:
1. Set the subs crossover at the -3dB point of your main speakers.
2. Play some bass heavy music and slowly advance the subs level control until you can barely hear it.
3. Turn the sub's level down just a "tad".

These three suggestions will get you very close to the optimum settings for the sub without using measurements. Minor tweaking may be desirable.

FWIW, I use measurements to set my subs.

PS: If you can hear a sub, it's not properly adjusted. The only time a sub should be noticed is when it's turned off. The loss of low bass is instantly audible.
 
Last edited:
Try swapping + and _ on one speaker and report ....

Geez, never heard a pair but, they should render bass..
They are a beauty, at least !
 
Back
Top Bottom