• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha NS-670 midrange repair

jsours

Active Member
I recently bought a pair of Yamaha NS-670 s in nice physical shape and noticed that one midrange that is non-operational has the flat copper(?) lead that comes from under the mounting ring broken off. Is this something that anyone else has had experience fixing or trying to fix? Is it possible (I mean not theoretically, but practically). If it is fixable, does anyone know someone that might endeavor to undertake such a task? Thanks! -Jim
 
Register to hide this ad
I've fixed mine... several times. It seems to last until I move the speaker again. It's a tricky solder, that is for sure. Yours is broken in a different spot - probably an easier fix than mine, where the wire is broken at the voice coil.
 
How do you get to the screws that hold the thing together? Does the screen come off?

Undo the screws from the rear and remove the magnet cover. The rear of the dome is usuall stuffed with fiberglass or fiberfill, remove that carefully. For the screen it is held in with that blackring, you need to pry that out carefully then the screen will just pop off. I was able to solder that flex wire in the middle on a midrange of an NS-690, or is it 695?
 
Last edited:
I'll give it a shot. I thought the black ring looked like glue. It comes off, huh? Good to know. Do you think I could mate up a spade and make that work somehow? Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom