• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha NS1000, Onkyo M80, or Wharfedale Linton

ARoel

New Member
Hi, I just got my first amplifier which is a Pioneer SA-706 and still looking for a speaker to pair with. A Yamaha NS1000 is currently available for about the same price of a Wharfedale Linton (About USD 870 in our local currency). Another is an Onkyo M-80 which is being offered for half the price of Yamaha NS1000. I know that ideally, I should first test them before buying but that's a bit impossible to do for the NS1000 and Wharfedale now. It seems there's not much reviews on the M80 but here's just some information about it. Specifications of ONKYO M80 (M-80) Onkyo / Onkyo. Would appreciate your comments on which one would be a good buy, assuming that all are in excellent condition. I'm leaning towards the M80 because of the price but I would be quite flexible if the NS1000 or Linton is significantly better. Thank you.
 
Register to hide this ad
The Wharfedale Lintons produce a full and warmer sound tilted toward the mid to low frequencies. They pair well with moderately powered solid-state amplifiers. The Yamaha NS1000 will produce a more forward and detailed sound tilted toward the mid to higher frequencies. Their stereo imaging is very good. Most people who own them recommend tube amplifiers to drive them. I know nothing about the Onkyo speakers.
 
The NS1000 made it in a list of all time great speakers once. They also are very well made.
 
It boils down to your opinion and how they work in your room with your amp. The Lintons are pretty popular and that's a decent price, making them easy to move if you ever decide sell.
 
Thank you for your advice.

So today, I first went to the NS1000 seller for a demo. I waited for my amp to be plugged in, too excited to know what makes it so sought after by most people. Its being in mint condition made me even more excited to bring it home. So the seller played one song, then I requested more, and more. It's probably my ears but I waited for that wow moment and it never came. The demo finished with I not being sure if that would be a good buy. I told the seller I'll just message him if I decide to take it. Anyway, my plan was just to find out which one I like the most then pick it up the next day.

Next, I went to the M80 seller. I missed the road where I was supposed to turn, thus leading me to take the longer route. About 500 meters to the seller's place, the passage suddenly became narrower. I took a pic for you guys to see. Imagine driving a wide car in that condition for 500 meters. About 100 meters away, people were shouting. It turned out, a motorcycle forced his way on my side and if I proceeded further, I might have pinned the driver, his wife, and kid against a wall. 50 meters away, some good people advised me to not proceed or I might get in trouble. Well, based on my work experience, from what I saw alone, they were telling the truth. Then I thought of your comments about M80. There was none. I decided proceeding wasnt worth it so I turned around.

Then to the Linton seller. We plugged in my amp then there it was, the wow moment I wanted. Before the first song was even finished, I've already decided that the Linton would be it. Being new to this, I cannot describe with technicality what I heard. I was just amazed with the sound. I again thought of your comments - all good words about Linton. Before the third song was finished, I already placed my order then brought them home right after. I just couldnt wait until tomorrow to take them. I wasnt prepared and I brought a small car so I left the stand in the meantime. As for the speakers, there was just no way I'm leaving them behind. It was a love at first sight. It's in the car as I type this, just waiting for my wife to fall asleep before I set it up.

While in there, I was able to demo mcintosh speakers worth $185,000 in local currency. Again, it's probably my ears but if there's another set of speakers that could produce that same sound but for the price equivalent to that of a Linton, I would still choose the Linton any day. And I'm not sourgraping.

There's a lot I learned today one being, sound quality is subjective and relative. The most important thing is I don't have to spend much to enjoy this hobby. Damn, I talk too much but again, thank you!
 
Thank you for your advice.

So today, I first went to the NS1000 seller for a demo. I waited for my amp to be plugged in, too excited to know what makes it so sought after by most people. Its being in mint condition made me even more excited to bring it home. So the seller played one song, then I requested more, and more. It's probably my ears but I waited for that wow moment and it never came. The demo finished with I not being sure if that would be a good buy. I told the seller I'll just message him if I decide to take it. Anyway, my plan was just to find out which one I like the most then pick it up the next day.

Next, I went to the M80 seller. I missed the road where I was supposed to turn, thus leading me to take the longer route. About 500 meters to the seller's place, the passage suddenly became narrower. I took a pic for you guys to see. Imagine driving a wide car in that condition for 500 meters. About 100 meters away, people were shouting. It turned out, a motorcycle forced his way on my side and if I proceeded further, I might have pinned the driver, his wife, and kid against a wall. 50 meters away, some good people advised me to not proceed or I might get in trouble. Well, based on my work experience, from what I saw alone, they were telling the truth. Then I thought of your comments about M80. There was none. I decided proceeding wasnt worth it so I turned around.

Then to the Linton seller. We plugged in my amp then there it was, the wow moment I wanted. Before the first song was even finished, I've already decided that the Linton would be it. Being new to this, I cannot describe with technicality what I heard. I was just amazed with the sound. I again thought of your comments - all good words about Linton. Before the third song was finished, I already placed my order then brought them home right after. I just couldnt wait until tomorrow to take them. I wasnt prepared and I brought a small car so I left the stand in the meantime. As for the speakers, there was just no way I'm leaving them behind. It was a love at first sight. It's in the car as I type this, just waiting for my wife to fall asleep before I set it up.

While in there, I was able to demo mcintosh speakers worth $185,000 in local currency. Again, it's probably my ears but if there's another set of speakers that could produce that same sound but for the price equivalent to that of a Linton, I would still choose the Linton any day. And I'm not sourgraping.

There's a lot I learned today one being, sound quality is subjective and relative. The most important thing is I don't have to spend much to enjoy this hobby. Damn, I talk too much but again, thank you!

What country are you from? That road looks challenging! Always good to have an adventure while you're choosing audio gear. I'd have picked the Lintons too.
 
Back
Top Bottom