• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha P-350 Overhang?

boreas

"If it sounds good, it IS good." E.K.E.
Hello, all -

I just picked up a Yamaha P-350 turntable and, after going through it and cleaning and lubing it, I'm ready to move on to setting up the overhang. I gather that Yamaha shipped this and its sister tables with an overhang gauge but it's missing from this table. I know I can resort to a protractor but I was hoping someone might know what the correct distance stylus tip to headshell shoulder might be per the OE alignment gauge.

I've included a photo for the sake of clarity.

Thanks,
John
 

Attachments

  • Empire 3000 Mk III 001.jpg
    Empire 3000 Mk III 001.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 187
Register to hide this ad
G'day mate, 16 mm overhang (measured from in front of the spindle) seems to be the standard measurement for Yamaha turntables from the time. Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
G'day mate, 16 mm overhang (measured from in front of the spindle) seems to be the standard measurement for Yamaha turntables from the time. Regards, Felix aka catman.

Thanks, Felix. That measurement applies to this table as well as other Yamahas. The trouble is this arm physically won't swing in far enough to take that measurement. Maybe that's why they originally supplied an alignment jig.

John
 
Is that an ADC headshell or is it larger?
The headshell on some of the Sansui resembles an ADC headshell but are larger.
I bought an ADC headshell on line but found out later that it would not fit.:yes:
 
Is that an ADC headshell or is it larger?
The headshell on some of the Sansui resembles an ADC headshell but are larger.
I bought an ADC headshell on line but found out later that it would not fit.:yes:

That's the original Yamaha headshell. I think it's about the same size as the ADC but I don't know about offset angle. The Yam is 23 degrees.

John
 
G'day all, frankly I don't really understand why these 'in front of the splindle' measurements are supplied, as in many cases it is practically impossible to measure this in practice. :scratch2:

A simple headshell 'shortcut' would be much more useful. You might have to resort to using a two point overhang protractor! Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Is that an ADC headshell or is it larger?
The headshell on some of the Sansui resembles an ADC headshell but are larger.
I bought an ADC headshell on line but found out later that it would not fit.:yes:

Here's a better look at the headshell.

John
 

Attachments

  • Yamaha P-350 009.jpg
    Yamaha P-350 009.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 69
Looks more like an ADC headshell than my Sansui proprietary headshell.
I think you may have to use a protractor on this one.
I can't find any measurement for a Yamaha straight arm overhang ( you know what I mean).:D
 
Looks more like an ADC headshell than my Sansui proprietary headshell.
I think you may have to use a protractor on this one.
I can't find any measurement for a Yamaha straight arm overhang ( you know what I mean).:D

Oh, well! One more thing on the list for tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

John
 
I know this is a really old thread, but I just dug my P-350 out of mothballs to revitalize it, and have the same issue. I wonder what ever happens to these little plastic bits? I couldn't find anything on the "Bay", but did find these pics from the OM & SM respectively. The first pic shows what the overhang gauge looks like. The second one seems to indicate that the stylus tip should align with the centerline of the arm tube. (Red line mine.) I'm going to use this technique to align mine. Hopefully this might be helpful to someone else.

Yamaha_overhang-1.png Yamaha_overhang-2.png
 
15782641271553151595400643068486.jpg

This little guy?

Tap electronics out in California still had them in stock last I knew, about $7 each.

Now that the secret is out, it might not last, get em while ya can.

And that is the Yamaha headshell above, it's busy missing the screw plate and screws that normally go with it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom