• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha P-450 cartridge and preservation questions!

OP Music

Active Member
Hey guys, what are some P-mount cartridges I should be looking at for my Yamaha P-450 P-mount turntable? Not looking for something exorbitantly expensive, just something that will sound great, perform solid and last for as long as possible!
The cartridge I have on the table currently is the one that I bought it with. Should I throw it away?

I'll include some pictures for you guys.IMAG0510.jpg IMAG0511.jpg

Also, I haven't been keeping the dust cover on the turntable because the hinges are in poor shape - and frankly it looks better without it. Should the dust cover be on to help preserve the table? Also, is there anything else I can do with the table to ensure that it keeps running for years to come?

Thanks a lot guys -
Alex
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0512.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 47
Register to hide this ad
What they ^ said. That's a Stanton cartridge and it's a standard-mount versus a P-mount. Get yourself a fresh stylus for that cartridge if you think the stylus is worn out.
 
I'd get a Jico D6800EEE stylus for that and be done, or do the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE stylus. Both will sound very good with the cartridge.
 
If for whatever reason you want to go p-mount on the 450, and lowering the effective mass of the arm for high-compliance cartridges is one good reason, Yamaha did make a p-mount headshell that will fit the 450, though this headshell was made for a different model. Looks like this:
5.JPG
YAMAHA HB4 P-MOUNT HEADSHELL w AUDIO-TECHNICA 3472 CARTRIDGE
 
Last edited:
Haha I just realized how inexperienced with turntables I am. I was talking about the stylus the whole time. I thought thought the stylus was the cartridge. :thumbsup:

You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the advice! There's some extra information I should have included: I bought the table used off Craigslist 6 months ago, so I'm unsure as to the condition of the stylus/cartridge (however, it sounds great). I posted when I got the turntable and a lot of AKers recommended that I replace the cart (because of the unknown status), however I'm now inclined to keep it on there because of how great it sounds! The turntable came with an extra stanton stylus, which I've included in a picture. It appears part of the headshell is broken, the part that holds the stylus onto the cartridge. Should I just invest in another one?
20171011_182530_HDR.jpg
 
Headshell is the part the cartridge mounts to, I think you mean the stylus "holder" or clip is busted.

I'd just buy a new stylus. I don't really trust anything used stylus wise.
 
The dust cover hinges on those are a weak point. The spring breaks out of the plastic of the hinge. Often they can be repaired by drilling a hole through the plastic of the hinge and using a finishing nail to hold the spring back. Otherwise a standard (yet not that cheap) Linn hinge is a replacement (and just as prone to breaking as the original). Number of Sonys used the same hinge as well.

Here's a thread that may be of use: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....350-p-450-p-550-p-750-p-751-p-10-p-20.729001/
 
That will still hold, and you use a very small amount of blue tac if needed to keep it on.
 
Back
Top Bottom