• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha P2100 Noisy on Power-On

4343

Super Member
My P200 has started crackling when I first turn it on. After a while it stops making noise and sounds clean for hours.

I think this must be a capacitor, possibly in the signal path.

Has anyone seen this symptom before? Any ideas that can point me in the right direction to repair it? I'm not above replacing a bunch of caps, but I'd like to know which one has failed so that I can maybe put a better one in that spot.

BTW, I am the original owner, I bought a P2050 at the same time, and the 2050 has been subbed in and is working just fine while I get the bench cleared so I can open up the 2100.
 
Register to hide this ad
If you haven't already, I would start with contact cleaner (deoxit) on the power switch and volume controls.
 
Noise in both channels ?
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure if it's just one channel or not, it was turned on earlier when I decided to swap it out, and won't do it again 'til it's bled down again. I did hook it up to another pair of speakers and can check it in a day or so.
Curious as to why you think it's not a cap, are there suspect active components in this model? (That got me thinking, and I did find that TR7 is a 2SA810 that should be swapped to KSA1220, so looking for a pair now.)
 
OK, opened it up for the first time since it was assembled in Japan, learned a few things:

1. Cat spray penetrates further than you think.
2. The offset adjustment is pretty stable, even over four decades. In spec @18mV.
3. Power supply measures +/-53V and filter caps are indeed rated 80V, despite the 86V noted on the schematic. Ripple is less than 40mV.

After cleaning and re-painting the corrosion caused by the cat, I need to let the top and bottom panels dry before reassembling. Also waiting on transistors. (Edit: While waiting I checked the ones in the circuit, they are 2SA914, not the 2SA810 as listed in the S/M. So leaving as is for now.)
I cleaned the wire connectors on the driver board, the ones that connect to the output boards. Surprised to see gold pins and sockets, probably didn't need the cleaning. The male XLR pins are tarnished, did not cleanup too well, but then the female is the one that gets used anyway and it's making good contact.
I've learned not to use contact spray on 1/4" jacks as some plastics will disintegrate the next time you plug into them. So those are as yet still a little green around the edges, I may just replace them.
 
Last edited:
Всем привет,
Подскажите, пожалуйста, у p2201 мало басов - это из-за больших конденсаторов (22000мкф)?
 
Всем привет,
Подскажите, пожалуйста, у p2201 мало басов - это из-за больших конденсаторов (22000мкф)?
Hi all,
Could you please advise, the p2201 has little bass - is it because of the large capacitors (22000uf)?
 
Back
Top Bottom