• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha PF-800 or PF-1000 restoration question

Vinylhi

New Member
Aloha,

Long-time lurker first-time poster here! Truly enjoyed this forum for a while now!

I am restoring a Yamaha PF-1000 and one of the 3 suspension springs is broken! I know these are made of unobtanium and the chances of finding one on the auction site or anywhere else are slim to none. Anyone got any ideas or advice?
 
Register to hide this ad
I know these are made of unobtanium and the chances of finding one on the auction site or anywhere else are slim to none. Anyone got any ideas or advice?

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Pretty sure that the two models have springs made of fairly common industrial metal that can be easily identified.

Please elaborated on yours. :idea:
 
I think the trouble may be the way its tapers on the top to be able to rest on the supporting collar.
I wish it was just a straight spring!
 
Highly unlikely that you will find those springs in a hardware or industrial supply house. I'm sure they were custom made. I'd find a temp solution and keep an eye out for someone parting a table out on Ebay. If someone post any kind of parts for one of those tables contact them immediately.
It's only a matter of time till one gets trashed in shipping.

BillWojo
 
Yup I have seen rough tables for sale in Ebay for parts. Best bet instead of waiting for ever for someone selling the springs, just by a complete parts table, keep the springs and then part out the rest on eBay. You would probably make money and get first dibs on any spare parts you might need.
 
Grab a Machineries Handbook and look up winding springs. Good info in there.
The book, a roll of the appropriate spring wire and a bit of practice should have you set.
 
Aloha,

Long-time lurker first-time poster here! Truly enjoyed this forum for a while now!

I am restoring a Yamaha PF-1000 and one of the 3 suspension springs is broken! I know these are made of unobtanium and the chances of finding one on the auction site or anywhere else are slim to none. Anyone got any ideas or advice?
Interesting ... I have the parts list for these turntables and each of the 3 springs has a different part number. They all look the same but there is a separate part number for Spring (R); Spring (L); and Spring (blank). Looking at the exploded diagram, Spring (R) is closest to the tone arm; Spring (L) is at the back left corner; and Spring (blank) is at the front left corner. My guess is that each has a different tensile strength since the weight distribution is not equal across the turntable base.
 
nteresting ... I have the parts list for these turntables and each of the 3 springs has a different part number. They all look the same but there is a separate part number for Spring (R); Spring (L); and Spring (blank). Looking at the exploded diagram, Spring (R) is closest to the tone arm; Spring (L) is at the back left corner; and Spring (blank) is at the front left corner. My guess is that each has a different tensile strength since the weight distribution is not equal across the turntable base.

I think this (3 individually tuned springs) is correct.
 
That's what I love about these forums! Tuning the springs to account for the weight differences makes plenty of sense! Going to be harder to reproduce now!
 
Grab a Machineries Handbook and look up winding springs. Good info in there.

What isn't in that book! I have several copies from different time periods including a first edition, first printing of it. Got my first one for a Christmas present when I was 16 and was learning to run a lathe. I spent many hours reading it. It's still a go to reference book for me.

BillWojo
 
Hello!
Many times use AudioKarma to find answers.
Now one more time I hope help will come.
Recently I ended up in possession of Yamaha PF-1000 with broken shaft housing.
Turntable is in rough shape, but spindle is first thing which need immediate attention.
Spare parts for this turntable pop up once in the while.
I probably just need someone opinion if I need just sell it for parts or wait till part will appear on eBay or other site.
Thank you!20200912_123245.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom