• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha Pf800 upgrade advice

jmool

Member
Hi all,

I own a Yamaha PF800 with a AKG p8es which is a really good sounding deck, however I'm thinking of "upgrading" to another deck.
I'm looking at a Luxman pd441 and Nakamichi dragon ct.

has anyone done a comparison between the decks or has anyone got advice?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi all,

I own a Yamaha PF800 with a AKG p8es which is a really good sounding deck, however I'm thinking of "upgrading" to another deck.
I'm looking at a Luxman pd441 and Nakamichi dragon ct.

has anyone done a comparison between the decks or has anyone got advice?

If you're thinking Nakamichi dragon dollars then The GT-2000 is always a possibility. I have both a PF-800 (w/AT-33ptg/ii) and GT-2000 (w/MC-1x) and use them regularly. With the GT you get deeper, more punchy bass and superior speed stability. If you apply additional isolation beneath the table in the vertical and horizontal planes it just continues to improve. Still though I love the tonality of both tables so the PF-800 stays. Have you tried any Audio Technica carts on your PF-800? That arm and those carts get along really well. It's almost too easy.
 
The PX-2 is a good stop in between (I've had all 3 - PF-800, PX-2 and GT-2000). It will give you a little better bass definition over the PF-800 and zero tracking error, at the cost of a little more motor noise (rumble).

A better cartridge is also worth exploring as well...

jblnut
 
Hi all,

I own a Yamaha PF800 with a AKG p8es which is a really good sounding deck, however I'm thinking of "upgrading" to another deck.
I'm looking at a Luxman pd441 and Nakamichi dragon ct.

has anyone done a comparison between the decks or has anyone got advice?

Jmool, I noticed in your other PF-800 thread that you replaced the isolating washers for the PSU. Did this make a noticeable reduction in the faint hum when it's plugged in? I can hear it in mine with my head right next to the plinth otherwise playback is nice and quiet.
 
Jmool, I noticed in your other PF-800 thread that you replaced the isolating washers for the PSU. Did this make a noticeable reduction in the faint hum when it's plugged in? I can hear it in mine with my head right next to the plinth otherwise playback is nice and quiet.

Yes that's correct, originally there are no isolating washers between the PSU and the deck. I just did that because from my point of view this helps to reduce vibration from the psu into the deck.
and yes it helps!!

The best thing however is to take out the PSU and built it in a separate box outside the deck and then connect them via a cable! maybe my next small project.
I also have some silver wire which i like to use as a interconnect.
 
Back
Top Bottom