• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha r-9 Replacement power supply capacitors

Winder2u

New Member
Would someone be able to tell me or help me for what a good replacement caps would be for the power supply caps for a Yamaha R-9 is? The original ones are Nichicon 12000uf 80v CE 85C M 4 PIN Snap In. I've searched Digikey & Mouser and can't find originals ones. I'm probably doing the search thing all wrong. Cap.JPGScreenshot (1).png
 
Register to hide this ad
Main power supply caps are installed and turned it on today. Left channel weak and distorted, this is the original issue this R-9 had when I thought I would delve into fixing it. I've already replaced the supercap for the station channel memory, I'm a 71 year old amature at this stuff and I'm trying to learn and understand these smaller components. I'm sure I'll fry a few things along the way.....LOL
 
Have you checked the left and right channel electrolytic caps? I had distortion that was due to bad electrolytic capacitors. The caps looked fine physically, but ESR on the 47uF caps were 4x higher than they should be.
 
No, I haven't checked the 47uf caps yet. At the moment i'm checking the relay and contacts. It appears one side isn't making contact very well. I'm going to spray a lil deoxit on some printer paper and see if that helps clean the contacts.. If not I have another dead R9 I can rob good parts from.
 
No, I haven't checked the 47uf caps yet. At the moment i'm checking the relay and contacts. It appears one side isn't making contact very well. I'm going to spray a lil deoxit on some printer paper and see if that helps clean the contacts.. If not I have another dead R9 I can rob good parts from.
I did get to check the 47uf caps today and they rang out at 47.3 & 47.5 Hopefully I did it right...lol So I'm thinking they are good.
 
I did get to check the 47uf caps today and they rang out at 47.3 & 47.5 Hopefully I did it right...lol So I'm thinking they are good.
Best to check ESR if you have an ESR meter. You can get a decent price FNIRSI on Amazon for around $35. If ESR is high, then this would point to a bad electrolytic capacitor and may explain the distortion. For mine it was more mid to high frequencies. May need to also check the 100uF (or other value Electrolytic caps) in the R/L channel. The capacitance looks good on your 47uF. Mine were also within capacitance spec, but ESR was high.
 
Best to check ESR if you have an ESR meter. You can get a decent price FNIRSI on Amazon for around $35. If ESR is high, then this would point to a bad electrolytic capacitor and may explain the distortion. For mine it was more mid to high frequencies. May need to also check the 100uF (or other value Electrolytic caps) in the R/L channel. The capacitance looks good on your 47uF. Mine were also within capacitance spec, but ESR was high.
Well , I guess I better start reseaching which ESR meter I want. I'm sure it'll come in handy for my upcoming projects I need to work on... Yamaha M60, C80 preamp, 2 Carver m500t amps plus a few other items. Glad I'm retired.
 
I'll bet we could help alot if ya have some main board photos. I'm pretty sure that piece had/has DSBG in it.
 
I'll bet we could help alot if ya have some main board photos. I'm pretty sure that piece had/has DSBG in it.
Here's 2 pictures, hope you can see something that I didn't! The relay is removed for cleaning, but most likely I'll be replacing it. First off I should mention is I want to thank everyone up front for helping me to hopefully get this ole r9 up and running!!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4279.JPG
    IMG_4279.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4278.JPG
    IMG_4278.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 96
Is there brown glue under the 2 green muse capacitors? If so, look for corroded resistors, diodes, & mylar caps nearby it with rotted component legs. Sometimes 1 lead rots open so give the nearby parts a wiggle. :banana:
 
Last edited:
Is there brown glue under the 2 green muse capacitors? If so, look for corroded resistors, diodes, & mylar caps nearby it with rotted component legs. Sometimes 1 lead rots open so give the nearby parts a wiggle. :banana:
I think I've found one that might be suspect. Picture isn't the greatest.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4282.JPG
    IMG_4282.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom