• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha R-S700 or A-S801

yycdave

New Member
I’m looking for comments from someone who has used an A-S801 amp as well as a R-S700 receiver. The A-S801 gets glowing reviews however, on paper at least, the R-S700 has essentially the same specs. In the give and take of them the A-S801 of course has a built in DAC, while the R-S700 supports use as an amp or pre-amp, and also provides Record Out selections. These are features, which may or may not be used, and are secondary to the sound. So how do the two compare that way?

I have an R-S700 with an external DAC and turntable connected, and am not at all unhappy, but sound wise would could an A-S801 bring to the show?

Cheers
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
As someone who has owned an A-S801, I would DEFINITELY recommend it over the receiver. There is this notion that both are similar, but the 801 has incredible depth to its sound. In addition, the build quality is extraordinary. Speaking strictly as a piece of equipment for audio reproduction, the A-S801 (in my opinion) beats the receiver hands-down, in every parameter. It is, very much, a two-channel powerhouse of an integrated that is robust and honest. The only reason I sold mine is because I was itching to go back to separates. Had I not had that desire, I would still have the A-S801 today (or perhaps had upgraded to the A-S1200) :)
 
Thanks for you comments, have you listened to a R-S700 to compare? I don’t disagree with your rationale, just looking to support it with “ears”
 
Back
Top Bottom