• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha R9

PeerlessK

Well-Known Member
a while back I ran into a Yamaha A-1020 very nice sounding . My brother on vacation visits and talked me out of the A-1020 and matching tuner . I'm more of a Sansui guy but some of the Yamaha gear is growing on me . Sunday evening local craigslist had a Yamaha R9 original owner and near mint . The inside look brand new . Class A is increadable sounding . Walks all over the A-1020. Who knew? Using the receiver with a pair of NS-690 with a **** eating grin . I'm addicted and with addiction it needs to be fed .
 
Register to hide this ad
Maybe I should keep the CA-1000 , it has class A . Will just have to put it up for future reference until I can get it checked out .
 
I've never listened to the older Yamahas . But this class A in their receivers sound really good to my ears . 35 watts of class A . I've heard how hot it gets in class A and it does but not to where I feel it's melting things inside .
 
I think the 1000 is 15 watt in class A , ran it for and hour and it does get warm but not that hot , in normal mode it does not warm up much at all . I can't say much about it's sound yet as it was just hooked up to some cheap test speakers and sounded good with them but it needs to be checked by a tech and deoxed before I would hook it up to some nice speakers .
 
I have an R9 as well and I really like the tuner in it for clarity and sound performance. What do you think improves in Class A mode? I must say that I can't tell much difference except that I can use class A to heat up my listening room on cold winter days.
There was a debate about just how much Class A power the R9 has, IIRC it is more like 10 watts or less. It doesn't have the heat sink capacity for more.

Have a look inside for glue. Mine has quite a bit and some iffy looking resistors with glue damage.
 
class A for me using the NS-690 very noticeable in the midrange . I can tell you I only notice it cd . One of the best fm clarity I've heard in a receiver . Impressed all the way around
 
I passed on an R9 a while back, but only because it was looking pretty rough. Sound-wise it walked over every Yammie I've got, including the CA-1010. Hmmm.
 
I had an R9 as part of my first surround setup. I used it with a DSR-100 Pro DPL processor and Yamaha MX-35 2/4Ch amp. It drove my Klipsch Kg4s (4ohm) very well. I also have a Yamaha M-65 which is Class A up to 20W. Always sounded nice in Class A.
 
I have a Yamaha A-1000 integrated and i has the auto class A feature up to about 15 watts I believe. I have never noticed any sonic difference with switched in that mode, but the CD direct option seems to make an improvement to me. The A-1000 should effectively be the amp section of the R-9 receiver. I need to get my R-8 fixed soon. Love them Yammies! Currently have a PC2602 pro amp, B-2 and B-4 power amps, C-2 preamp, A-1000 and A-700 integrateds, CR-1020 and R-8 receivers.
 
I am looking for a Yamaha R9 if someone knows where I can find one. I had one back in the 80's that I paid around $900.00 for it new. I sold it about 10 years ago and wish that I never had. It help finding one would be appreciated greatly.
 
Back
Top Bottom