Michael Powers
Super Member
I'd like to hear if folks have any favorites in this line from the 1980's & 1990's, or any models that they feel are 'sleepers'.
I like the RX line due to the fact that I don't hear noise or static from the pots, the bias and dc offset on all the one's I've looked at matches from left to right and is within factory specifications (for brand new equipment!), I've found that their fm reception is terrific, they're rated to drive 6 ohm speakers, and the people that bought this brand generally seem to have taken care of them cosmetically. I've also heard them make sub-par speakers sound pretty good. I would guess, based on what I've seen, that these spend less time on the repair bench compared to their competition.
I've seen some RX-496's and RX-795's with bad output transistors at thrift stores, but these are old enough where you could say that they just exceeded their useful service life. I've also seen a problem on an RX-595 where one side was louder than the other.
I like the RX line due to the fact that I don't hear noise or static from the pots, the bias and dc offset on all the one's I've looked at matches from left to right and is within factory specifications (for brand new equipment!), I've found that their fm reception is terrific, they're rated to drive 6 ohm speakers, and the people that bought this brand generally seem to have taken care of them cosmetically. I've also heard them make sub-par speakers sound pretty good. I would guess, based on what I've seen, that these spend less time on the repair bench compared to their competition.
I've seen some RX-496's and RX-795's with bad output transistors at thrift stores, but these are old enough where you could say that they just exceeded their useful service life. I've also seen a problem on an RX-595 where one side was louder than the other.
Last edited: