• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha RX-530 blowing fuses

Chris87

New Member
Hi everyone,
I came across this forum, looking for some expertise on my broken RX-530, which I saved from my dad in order to fix it up.
It's a childhood memory device for me, so I don't care too much if it's worth the effort in the end.

To the problem:
I found the device has its main fuse on the power supply board blown (F501), and it's only starting without display, but with this tiny clicking sound.
After replacing the fuse, the device started just fine with display as it would normally do.
I didn't try any music playback, but just quickly switched it off and back on, which blew the fuse once again, which a blueish spark from inside the housing.
This has me stuck quite a bit, as I assume it can't be a regular short, otherwise the fuse would blow immediately after turning it on.

Anybody has an idea, what could be the source of this problem and how to fix it?
Or some hints, what are the most common problems causing such a problem or something similar?

Thank you very much already, looking forward to any input you might have for me!

Best,
Chris
 
Register to hide this ad
Suggest build a dim bulb tester, a current limiting device, useful for troubleshooting. It's just an incandescent bulb in series with the active supply wire, numerous plans on AK, google...
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for starters! Already checked out the principle and will put myself together a DBT if I can still get a hold of a matching bulb, which isn't easy to get nowadays in Europe...

But what would be the next steps with a DBT? checking if the fuse survives a quick off/on sequence? I'm still a bit clueless how the search got the error would then look like. Any hint on that one?

Best,
Chris
 
But what would be the next steps with a DBT?
Use it when troubleshooting to eliminate blowing fuses. A shorted condition will just light up the bulb brighter and prevent the unit from burning up stuff. By limiting the current to the unit.
 
did you use the correct rating fuse ? mains fuses are usually slow blow or anti surge
I find it hard to tell which kind to use, unfortunately.
The old fuse had "T1.6A/250V" engraved, but usually there are slow or fast blow and the T as the only indicator for that wasn't really reassuring for me.
My new fuse also says "T1.6A/250V" on one side, the other seem to depend on manufacturer and therefore is of course different.

The service manual is also not really conclusive, at least for me. What I'm looking at should be the "Power Supply Circuit Board (1)" and at the fuse it says: "F501 x40" But I have no clue how to interpret that.
Again, any help appreciated here!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom