Very interesting and thank you for sharing your thoughts. We all hear different things as l would have probably said the 770 was more forward in the mids and if anything lacking a little in the lower end, of course we all have different speakers also.
Yes very true, l guess if you are not using multi channel an AVR is kinda pointless. I have had some that do sound very good in two channel mode though, including the RX-Z1 l still own.
Use the inverted output for a single amplifier hook-up as referenced in the C-80 owners manual.. Add a little extra WOW.WOW what a difference.
Midrange is lacking, not as good as the low and high frequencies. I didn't feel that way about my R9.
I'll stick with my 770 until my R9 works again or I find a rx-950. 770 only runs the TV, Roku, and low quality Pandora. A1 is for most music; via dac and vinyl.
Crazy as it sounds I'm opposed to a AVR if all I'm doing is two channel.
I'm chicken to try the factory reset (which IS in the manual). Figure that'll only take it back to recognizing the RAX11 (if there's a difference).
View attachment 1921031
Someone in another thread made the interesting observation (forgive me if i dont have it quoted exactly) that the amplifier section of the RX-777 looks surprisingly like that of the much newer Yamaha A-S701 and A-S801. Looks like a pretty close match to me.View attachment 2255248

Hi there. If you're still looking for a remote for the RX-777, I've found a number of the RAX11 remotes via eBay for various amounts over the past seven years I've had mine (bought two of them, lol). Another substitute remote that will work if someone is stuck is the RAX13 (WB72190) which came with a RX-596 receiver I had previously. It's one of the awesome "paddle" remotes, and it will control everything. It also will turn on/off and control of the Yamaha RX-V459 AV receiver I have connected to the TV.I downloaded the manual but didn't see a factor reset procedure - can you please provide more details? I bought a remote from eBay that is said to be functionally equivalent - it is not the original remote but rather a programmable remote that is programmed using firmware to function as the RAX11. However, it doesn't seem to work.
Any Yamaha "RX" remote from an older series should work. I have two RX-777s and have had several other RX Yamaha receivers. All my RX remotes work for my RX-700U, RX-750, RX-770, RX-396, RX-496, etc. You should have no trouble finding a nice one on eBay. You might even get to pick one with the buttons arranged the way you like. Note: All Sources might not match up to the button labels exactly, but you should be able to work through it. I did find a remote designed for the 777, but it was pricey.Can I dust this thread off. Need a little help here.
Got me one of these RX-777's. Picked up a remote too but not the one that came with it.
I need the procedure steps to tell the microprocessor to recognize the kind of remote I have.
The service manual says it comes with the RAX11 and I have the RAX14 which online sources say works with the RX-777.
I'm chicken to try the factory reset (which IS in the manual). Figure that'll only take it back to recognizing the RAX11 (if there's a difference).
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-rx-777-receiver-remote-help-needed.921614/
View attachment 1921031
I bought my RX-777 new to keep my wife happy with her diverse listening. While it has more muscle than needed and I agree on the "flat response" that many have cited (a good thing, if you ask me) the real benefit is that it is a RECEIVER. I have used it for Pandora, Spotify, BT from kids phones, FM, Internet radio (fans of London and Johannesburg college radio). Even XM - through subscriber cell phone to BT. Have also played off the USB 2.0 in the front. It receives everything (maybe not short wave), but the capability on the RX-777 is impressive without being overwhelming. Definitely an under appreciated feature. With regard to musical enjoyment, the low end does seem attenuated at lower volumes - maybe conversational volume and lower, but I think this is also part of human physiology and hearing. As you increase the volume, all color returns and there is breadth, depth and ample muscle to the sound. I have not explored the upper end of volume on this unit as it seems to be able to go louder than I can hear, but no disortion noted AT ALL at windowpane shaking volume. Clearly had much more capability than I was willing to push. Do not regret my decision at all and has had no issues for the 8+ years we have had it.I got this Yamaha RX 777 receiver a few years ago. I picked it up used from a older gentleman. I also have a Yamaha RX V1900 receiver. Which I think is excellent. One day I decided to combine the two. So I used the Yamaha RX V1900 as the preamp and the Yamaha RX 777 as the main amp. I'm using a Yamaha YP B2 turntable as the source and Definitive Technology DR 7 speakers. This combination has proved to be way better than I expected.
I heard some really nice amps and audio gear in my day. This Yamaha RX 777 receiver holds it's own. Against some of the better audio equipment I listen to. 1st off the Yamaha RX 777 seems to have more power than what it's rated. They rate the Yamaha RX 777 as 100 wpc @ 8 ohm. It really pushes my Def Techs without any trouble. Most of the other receivers I've had never really seem to deliver what they are rated at. The Yamaha RX 777 seems to put out what it's rated at and more. My Def Tech speakers are rated at 90 db efficiency. So I understand they are easy to drive. The Yamaha RX 777 brings out notes that I never thought the Def Tech speaker had in them. The Yamaha RX 777 is also very detailed. Which I've never had in a stereo receiver before. The bass is were the Yamaha RX 777 really shows it can produce music. It really reaches down there and punches out the notes. All with this natural sound that is very addicting.
I see a lot of talk in the Yamaha section about the old Yamaha CR 1020 and the CR 2020 receivers and how great they are. It makes me wonder. Are they really that much better than this modern (built around 2001) Yamaha RX 777 receiver? Am I missing the boat here. Would I gain that much more going to an older Yamaha receiver?
There's very little info on the old interwebs about the Yamaha RX 777. Which makes me believe that it has flown under the radar. And not many people have expreinced the sound and the music it makes. I'm wondering if anyone here has listen to the Yamaha RX 777 and what they think about it for music enjoyment?