• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha YP-511 Headshell Question

willyrover

Super Member
A while ago I picked up a Yamaha YP-511 with no headshell. After getting it all cleaned up and working properly, I ordered this inexpensive headshell to mount an Ortofon OM10 that I already had.

$_1.JPG

Now the problem was that I could get no where near the required 17mm overhang even with the cartridge mounted all the way back in the headshell. There was still a good 5mm or so too much overhang. The only way to align the cartridge was to skew it in the headshell.

To get the 17mm overhang, mounting distance needs to be around 32-33mm.

Next I bought this headshell. The listing said mounting distance was 32mm-41mm. Perfect! Except when it arrived, mounting distance measured 37mm -50mm :mad: so it's going back.
$_57.JPG


So what is the deal with this table/arm? It seems like most headshells are too long for it!

So now, as I should have done in the first place, I'm looking to track down an original headshell. Problem is the manual and the service manual are vague as to what headshell it actually shipped with. The pictures in the manual show a headshell that LOOKS like this HS-800.

b.jpg

It is listed as being used on the YP-211 but again, information about the YP-511 is vague. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct headshell for a YP-511 and most importantly, the range of mounting distance allowed by the slots?
 
Register to hide this ad
Try the following method with your headshell:
YamahaOverhangcolor.jpg
:)
 
And because it's very possible that I'm not using terminology correctly, by "range of mounting distance allowed by the slots" I'm talking about measurements C and Dheadshell-dimensions.jpeg
 
Try the following method with your headshell:
YamahaOverhangcolor.jpg
:)
When set up this way, the only way to to align either point on the protractor (square the body of the cartridge to the grid) is to significantly twist the cartridge in the headshell.
 
When set up this way, the only way to to align either point on the protractor (square the body of the cartridge to the grid) is to significantly twist the cartridge in the headshell.

Either use it that way or use the protractor.

Not both. :no:
 
Ok. I gave it a shot. 48mm with cartridge body square in the head shell. (had to take off the rubber washer to get 48mm)

Seems to sound pretty good.

Still odd to me that Yamaha would prescribe a 17mm overhang in the manual that is impossible to achieve on the majority of standard mount head shells.

Still wondering if anyone know what head shell this table shipped with or its dimensions?
 
Back
Top Bottom