• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha YP-D8 and YP-D6 Question

2sixR

Active Member
posted on the Yamaha thread, but thought I'd reach out to some more people here for feedback... I acquired a YP-D8 some time ago but it did not have the original headshell or the weight collar that goes over the counterweight... was wondering if I would be able to take these parts off of a YP-D6 and use on the D8 tonearm... anyone know if they are interchangeable... thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
posted on the Yamaha thread, but thought I'd reach out to some more people here for feedback... I acquired a YP-D8 some time ago but it did not have the original headshell or the weight collar that goes over the counterweight... was wondering if I would be able to take these parts off of a YP-D6 and use on the D8 tonearm... anyone know if they are interchangeable... thanks in advance.

Headshell for the two models are the same type, should be interchangeable.

Not sure what you means by the counter weight collar? :scratch2:

Do you have a picture of this device?
 
the manual calls this additional weight a "weight collar"... here is a image from the manual (hope I do this image thing right)...
 

Attachments

  • WeightCollar.jpg
    WeightCollar.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 48
Totally different arm, except the S shaped part. Doubt the weight collars are the same, but can't find the actual part numbers to tell. The headshells are interchangeable.
 
fellow AK'er Mancave Man set me up with an extra D8 headshell he had (many thanks MM)... weight collar fit, Benz Micro Gold cartridge installed and sounding sweet... now to add the recently acquired Conrad Johnson PV 12L preamp into the mix when back from a short trip... the journey continues...
 
BuMp.....

Years later, now I can relate.
I recently picked up a YP-D7, but the weighted collar was not included for some reason. Hopefully it arrives in the separate box with with the platter and dust over.

Does anyone know the weight of the collar?
 
YP-D8 tonearm Weight Collar is 47g.
Its inner diameter is 19mm.
This includes a thin plastic liner which allows it to slide easily up and down the main weight, to set the "gross" counterbalance.
It has a small, countersunk grub-screw to adjust how tight the Collar is on the Main Weight, so it slides easily but stays put once the correct "zero" balance is set — you then use the small calibrated wheel on the main weight to set exact VTA.
 
Back
Top Bottom