• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yaqin, from Hong Kong or Canada?

kappa7krazy

Active Member
Hello, I am new to tubes and have been reading about the yaqin mc10L. It sounds like it is a good deal and seems to be dependable. This can be had off of that auction sight for 389. shipped from Hong Kong or for just over 500 shipped from Canada. Has anybody ordered from Hong Kong? Is it better to go with the Canadian seller or does it even matter? TIA, Brian.
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a mc10L about a year ago. Sounds fine but build quality is not too good. I would recommend going with a primaluna or cayin amp. they will both be more money but are much better in build quality and overall sound. I had a cayin a-50t after the mc-10L and overall its a much better amp.
 
If the seller in Canada is getting these amps with no problems then you should be able to receive yours without any trouble also....BUT if it is the same guy everyone talks about here on AK he does offer a warranty on the amps and tubes....it is a hard choice but if you are good at fixing tube amps on your own ( I am not) buy directly from China...if you are worried about fixing things maybe you should go with the seller in Canada that offers a warranty....
 
Just for the record there might be better alternatives. I just viewed the pictures of that amp and both my Chinese amps, a Kailin EL84 based amp and a Dared MP-7 6L6 based amp are easily better constructed internally. Less messy mistakes like that. I also find it deceptive that it appears to have toroidal trannies and it is just a cover. If it weren't so late I'd open the Kailin and take a picture for a comparison. If you look around here you should see some much nicer done work on the insides of Chinese amps. Some probably cost just as little. Actually whats strange about this is most of these things I see for sale aren't ashamed to show their innards, but this model you never saw the inside of. Now I know why.
 
Cool. Thanks for the input. I guess I need to slow down, save some money and do more research in the mean time. At least I have plenty of solid state to keep me going until I find something I am comfortable with. Brian
 
Cool. Thanks for the input. I guess I need to slow down, save some money and do more research in the mean time. At least I have plenty of solid state to keep me going until I find something I am comfortable with. Brian

Good idea. The Chinese amps are not 'bad' but most of them should to go to a tech to be checked out unless you can DIY. Your best bet is to buy a component that is plug'n play. What looks inexpensive initially...may not be.
 
less glitz and shine and better build quality. all the glitz has no bearing on sound. Same circuits can be put on a baking pan and sound just as good. But thats just me.
 
There have been many good things said about the Yaqin (take some time to search the AK forums)

If I'm not mistaken (again search the forums) but the guy from Canada is not just buying and reselling. I'm not sure what he is doing but you may be better off buying fom the guy in Canada, probably make things easier in event there are any isuues that requires returning the unit, and if he does offer a warranty even better.

I have no personal experience with the Yaqin but did own one of the many chinese amps out there and it was not only built like the proverbial brick s@#t house but sounded great to my untrained ears. :thmbsp:
 
If the seller in Canada is getting these amps with no problems then you should be able to receive yours without any trouble also....BUT if it is the same guy everyone talks about here on AK he does offer a warranty on the amps and tubes....it is a hard choice but if you are good at fixing tube amps on your own ( I am not) buy directly from China...if you are worried about fixing things maybe you should go with the seller in Canada that offers a warranty....

Just giving feedback from a recent buyer from the guy in Canada. I bought a Yaqin MS-12B pre - came in as advertised time frame - great communication along the way and the pre was in at least as advertised condition.

I spent a tad more but if I need to send back, it's only to Canada and my unit came with a warranty. I'm all good with that. Happily listening and tube rolling as I type. I suggest trying the pre (specially if you like LPs) and use your SS amps to get a good feel for tubes. WARNING - Tubes will give you a bigger bite in the audio "gotta get a better sound" thing.. so you have been warned. Yaqin ain't bad... tested before buy is better and worth price for admission, of course IMHO.

Cheers,

Bob
 
If i'm not mistaken, the reason you see them sold in Canada (where I purchased mine) is because Yaqin made a deal with Grant Fidelity not to sell in the US, except on ebay. I believe Grant is having them make some of their equipment (tube buffer at least) and adding their own touches. I could be off base here but I thought that was the story. I love my Yaqin tube buffer. I replaced the tubes with some GE's and a new power cord. That made a huge difference.
 
Just for a comparison I opened my Kailin EL84 amp and snapped a couple of pics. Point to point wired inside a tiny wood cube (about 8x8x8 inches), which obviously looks to be a rather complex job. Has some decent parts, nice feeling ALPS volume control. The bottom and top are connected to each other with that barrier strip. Caps on the bottom are cable tied to a wooden shelf, output transformers are underneath that. This is an 8 ohm only amp. Supposedly the transformers are from Japan but nothing is labled on them to tell. Supposedly the wiring is silver. All except for one of the big white resistors are Raytheon. Coupling caps are Solen. All the other caps except the Solens are 105 degree rated. Just thought it would be an interesting comparison. I can't open my Dared because it is hooked up in an inconvenient location to do so. There are neater wiring jobs too. Just look around. This amp wasn't particularly expensive, think it was $300 or so shipped.
 

Attachments

  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom