• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

YAQIN MS-22B Phono Stage

How's the MS-22B treating you now? I've stumbled upon this unit and I'm thinking it's right in my little "price point vs. quality" range. Plus I've got a sweet pair of Amperex 12AX7 looking for a home.
 
Since I kind of needed phono preamp sooner than later I decided to take the gamble and ordered one from the Canadian seller. I'd have preferred to find something good/used but I didn't feel like doing the hunt right now. (impatience) I could have bought something cheaper, even a SS, but I am hoping this one will tide me over for awhile.

I own a couple of the Yaqin tube buffers (both the 1-tube and 2-tube earlier versions) and have been happy with them. I still use one of them @ work on my office system.
 
Since I kind of needed phono preamp sooner than later I decided to take the gamble and ordered one from the Canadian seller. I'd have preferred to find something good/used but I didn't feel like doing the hunt right now. (impatience) I could have bought something cheaper, even a SS, but I am hoping this one will tide me over for awhile.

I own a couple of the Yaqin tube buffers (both the 1-tube and 2-tube earlier versions) and have been happy with them. I still use one of them @ work on my office system.

Is the one tube version really that much beter than the two tube buffer? A salesman at an audio store told me that the Yaqin 2 tube buffer was garbage and the 1 tube version was the "musical" one. Not asking to be OT, but the relevance is that I am considering getting a second phono pre and the yaqin is on my short list. The Yaqin product line is the point.
 
I wouldn't say it's significantly better. All depends on the tubes you put in it. The 1 tube is easier to find tubes for (6DJ8/6922/etc). I dropped some Amperex PQ into the 2-tube version and its great.
 
I wouldn't say it's significantly better. All depends on the tubes you put in it. The 1 tube is easier to find tubes for (6DJ8/6922/etc). I dropped some Amperex PQ into the 2-tube version and its great.

I have tried both Siemens and RCA NOS tubes on my 2 tube version and they were markedly better.
Just curious, thanks.
 
Hi, I'm thinking about buying the MS-22B, but I can't see much specifications on the web. Do you know what is the minium Cartridge output required for this preamp?
Thanks in advance
 
As a group us audiophiles are the most anally retentive validation challenged bunch of perfectionist weenies on this planet, so much of this involves brilliant exploitative marketing strategies, the more they jack up the price the better it must be, most then justify the expenditure by believing whatever it is sounds great, the money you spend on a quality stage is invariably money well spent, but the tubes, wires and cables thing is almost always a scam, double blind testing is an anathema to the predators in the industry and the ego's of the audiophools that got hosed up de butt buying into the BS ;-)

+1 :thmbsp::yes::beerchug:
 
+2 the above post. :thmbsp:

And in retrospect i'm very glad i veered away from a Chinese tube amp purchase and found a local vintage integrated HH Scott (made in the USA!) instead. The materials, and transformer iron especially, was just simply better back in the 1960's. The resale value of the HH Scott LK-72 will hold firm a decade from now w/o a doubt. So, in closing: Vintage tube amps = :banana: !!!
 
from the manual:
Input Sensitivity 4.0mV (400Hz, 0.5V output)
Output Voltage 0.5V (400Hz input)

It's pretty much your standard MM/HOMC preamp. It's been a good little tube pre for the price, but I think I'm ready to move on to something else.
 
Happy New Year all

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone has used the MS-22B with a high output MC

I have a few TTs at the moment, using a Denon DL-110, Denon DL-160 and Coral MC88-E all of which are happy and best used with my integrated's MM input

The MS-22B has input sensitivity of 4.0mv but the DL-110 for example has output of only 1.6mv

Thanks for help - this would be my first dedicated offboard phono stage
 
Happy New Year all

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone has used the MS-22B with a high output MC

I have a few TTs at the moment, using a Denon DL-110, Denon DL-160 and Coral MC88-E all of which are happy and best used with my integrated's MM input

The MS-22B has input sensitivity of 4.0mv but the DL-110 for example has output of only 1.6mv

Thanks for help - this would be my first dedicated offboard phono stage

I'm in the same boat - Denon DL160 hoMC;)
 
I just got my Yaqin MS 22-B today but I don't have a power amp to use with it yet. I just realized that the 22-B doesn't have any control knobs on it. What kind of amp do I need to connect it to? What do other people use with their 22-Bs?
 
Last edited:
I just got my Yaqin MS 22-B today but I don't have a power amp to use with it yet. I just realized that the 22-B doesn't have any control knobs on it. What kind of amp do I need to connect it to? What do other people use with their 22-Bs?

My only experience is with my friend's unit, we have only used it with mm cartridge.

It is a phono stage, it should be used in conjunction with:

1. An integrated amp that has the volume, and tone controls build in.

2. A stand alone pre- amp (it should have volume and tone control build in ) + a power amp

3. A receiver with tone and volume control build in.



There are probably many exceptions and other examples that I may have neglected to mention.

Nice unit by the way, it would be nice to have one. :music:
 
congrats on the new stage, IMO Phono Stages are by far the single most important component in the analog chain.

Regards FredJ

Couldn't agree more. :D


The Denon DL-110 has a higher output than what Denon says, I had one and it was only a little quieter than my MM carts. It should run quiet happily with any MM phono stage.
 
I just purchased one of these pre-amps and I'm looking for a place to order new tubes. Can someone let me know what I should be looking for, or some examples of names of tubes, where to go etc....
 
I don't have a 22B but I do have a 12B, I do believe the 22B uses 12ax7's as well though (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Depending on your budget, JJ's are a good place to start at around $12 ea. Going up the ladder you move into NOS stuff which gets more expensive, I'm current running a matched pair of Telefunken's I picked up here in Barter Town for around $80. For new tubes like JJ's try one of the sponsors on the bottom of the page.
 
I just ordered the YAQIN MS-22B from the Canadian source. I'll be testing it with my pioneer pl-550, pioneer sx-750 and Image concept 200 speakers. I will post my findings. Up until now, I have had great imaging from my set-up, with my only major hiccup being the woofer pump from my ported towers. not assuming this is a fix for that but still very excited to throw my first phono stage/ tube gear in the mix! I will post more when I get it up and running. might buy those JJ's before it gets here. lol! .... gotta convince myself that microphonics isn't woofer pump.
 
It's in, and it's awesome! Started it with the JJ's in it and after an hour of listening it sounds so much better than pre-install. I hooked it up to my phono input first and then realized well..... it's a phono stage, doesn't need another one after it. switched it to the tape 1 input and all was well. The woofer pump is GONE!!!!! Now at dead silence I can faintly hear the loped grumble of my TT's motor, which must have been half of my problem, amplified by the high gain of the sx-750's built-in phono stage. The last bit of scratchy S's are gone too. They were greatly reduced by adding the Denon DL-110, per A.K.'er recommendations and now seemingly non-existent. Also got a big solid entertainment center from my father to replace the particle board one I had before.


Just wanna say thanks again, to everyone for their helpful advice. This site really has added a level of education and information to my most passionate hobby and I can't thank you all enough. Hopefully someone will "Google" woofer pump and appreciate my advice as well! I will try to post pics after I clean up the livingroom. :)
 
I bought the Yaqin MS-22B phono stage a few weeks ago, but I'm not totally convinced, I mean it sound stage is good, but it has less treble than my old NAD PP2 preamp.
I'm planning to replace my JVC 4MD-20X MM cartridge for a MC one, Denon DL-110, but I'm 100% sure it's gonna sound good. I need help.
Any experiences with both? Thank you.
 
I definatley noticed a drop in gain with the Yaqin, which was actualy a good thing for me since my sx-750's built-in phono stage was way to " bright" for me. It looks like your cartridge puts out 2.0 mV. I believe the Denon puts out 1.6 mV so that would be another small drop in volume. I didn't notice much of a loss in treble, but the tweeters on my towers have always been pretty forgiving in that department. Hope that helps a little. Maybe some senior members with experience with your particular equipment could chime in?
 
Back
Top Bottom