• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Yaquin 23B tube replacement.

canton

Super Member
I have a Yaquin 23B phono pre amp. Looking to change the tubes out on it. There seems to be some type of spring in the tube shields that are spring loaded some how. Do not want to damage any tubes. checking with anyone to see if there is anything to switching out tubes on this phono stage to be sure I do not bend any tube pins or the like.
Thanks,
 
Register to hide this ad
The shields have a bayonet fitting. Push gently down and rotate counter clockwise then release. The shields should pop up and then can be removed. The tubes can be removed by gently pulling, helped a little by slight rocking North-South and East-West.
For best results have the MS23 modified. Are you Stateside? If so Jim Mintz is your man on the Facebook page.
Yaqin MS23B Les Carpenter Mod
 
Thanks for the info I am in the North-East yes. That Yaquin looks like it was made cheap the sockets from what I saw inside and so on but it does its job for the price Got it for $75 a few years ago new but it had a ding so reduced it to the price I wanted solid guy I bought it from whoever he was.
Is it safe to not use the shields ? Or use a shield that is just drop in ? Why the springs is it to hold the tubes down? Odd but really wonder why a spring dangerous to the tubes? I put in some very old tubes not matched but still much better then the ones in there, did people like the original tubes. ? OK enough out of me I do appreciate the kick back on a bit of a slightly dummy Q on my part. But had to ask lot of knowledge on this forum.
 
Just good engineering practice to put shields around the tubes on a phono amplifier as the gain is high. But some like to see the tubes lit up and find that there is no local interference that requires shields to be fitted.
There should be no danger to the tubes as the spring tension is very little, just enough to keep the shield in its bayonet fitting.
 
It will depend on whether you pick up any noise. RF, IF l, etc. Phono preamps can pickup noise easily.
 
Good advice, I will just continue to use the shields and I was told with my fisher amps that they (fisher) would not put anything extra that cost them money if it was not considered neccessary. That made simple sense as with the Yaquin.
 
Back
Top Bottom