• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

yet another reason why some of us like Denon

kamagong

Active Member
This time around, I did not hesitate..
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225004

DENON PMA-790 integrated amp

DSC_0141-1.jpg


http://audio-database.com/DENON-COLUMBIA/amp/pma-790-e.html
http://translate.google.com.ph/tran...?q=denon+pma+790&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&start=20

now I know better when a Denon comes in the radar screen. Stop, Look and Listen.. :music:
It even sounded better than the 850 and gave the word “overtones” a whole new meaning to my ears..
ohhhh yeah, those cool Spanish guitars. Of course its 150wpc helped in producing a very wide soundstage.
Yet another fantastic performance from a Denon.. but that’s just me.. :thmbsp:
 
Register to hide this ad
I wonder if anyone had a chance to compare vintage Denons such as this one or the PMA-900V with high-end Nakamichi STASIS integrated amps or receivers such as SR-4A or TA-4A.

I almost made up my mind to buy the PMA-900V a while ago but it doesn’t show up for sale very often. Instead, I run into the Nak TA-4A and I’m very happy with the sound.
 
Vintage Denons are s-w-e-e-t! :music: I've had a stack of Denon gear since I bought it new around 1991, and I've added other vintage Denon pieces since. Never had a reason to regret a single Denon purchase, and some of the gear is still worth as much as I paid for it new, or even a few dollars more, so it has done better at fighting depreciation than most gear its age. [NOT ALL models have done that, though! :no:] There is a good reason for that: the people at Denon knew a few things about how to "voice" gear, even early digital stuff!

Congratulations on a nice older Denon amp. :thmbsp: If it sounds as nice as it looks, you should get a lot of musical enjoyment from it. :music:
 
Vintage Denons are s-w-e-e-t! :music: I've had a stack of Denon gear since I bought it new around 1991, and I've added other vintage Denon pieces since. Never had a reason to regret a single Denon purchase, and some of the gear is still worth as much as I paid for it new, or even a few dollars more, so it has done better at fighting depreciation than most gear its age. [NOT ALL models have done that, though! :no:] There is a good reason for that: the people at Denon knew a few things about how to "voice" gear, even early digital stuff!

Congratulations on a nice older Denon amp. :thmbsp: If it sounds as nice as it looks, you should get a lot of musical enjoyment from it. :music:

thanks Arkay.. and yes, it does sound as it looks, very BIG, CLEAN, CLEAR sound, even better i might say..:music:

sharing nudies.. :thmbsp:

DSC_0145.jpg
DSC_0149.jpg
DSC_0148-1.jpg
DSC_0146-1.jpg
 
Denon is one of those companies you just respect, period. Cosmetically lovely to the eyes, well built, great sonics. I don't have much of it these days but if I ever come across a Denon score I'll be happy :)
 
That is a very cool amp. It's odd how Denon gear seems to fly under the radar. Congratulations on your new amp.
 
I also want to add that Denon has good customer service. Recently I was looking for an owner's manual for an older tuner. I couldn't find it on their website, so I wrote them an email. The very next day I got a reply. They said they didn't have one on hand but were going to make a copy and scan it for me. A few hours later it was in my inbox. The following day I got a follow-up email asking if it was good enough or did I need a hard copy!? Now, that's customer service!
 
very nice, I'm sure it's based on the same Optical class A system that the 900 v is. IMO
The "Optical Class A" units came after the PMA-900V with the #20 series. From what I understand, the O.C.A. series was a large step down.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: trs
Congrats on getting a hold of a very sweet amp. All the Optical Class A amps carry a *20 model number. The 300V/500V/700V/900V are not Optical Class A amps. They are the last amps built by Denon before the bean counters took over. The *20 series amps were built after the bean counters took over. They are still fairly nice amps, but don't quite match the build quality or the reliability of the earlier Denon amps IMO.
 
  • Like
Reactions: trs
Back
Top Bottom