• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

You like Huey Lewis and the News?

Huey Lewis was big on campus when I was in college -great party/dance music. I've got several CDs and will play them when I'm in an 80's mood.

Saw him live once - very loud, but it was fun.
huey-lewis.jpg
 
Do I like Huey Lewis & The News"? You bet! More so, Lewis.:thumbsup:

It's is so sad to see the ailments that he ran into as his soul seems so full of life, with lots of energy to spare. This aggressive style makes him stand out from the rest of the performers!

Did you know that?:

his real name is Hugh Anthony Cregg III
he first entered the music playing harmonica
he has more than 14 albums (some controversy on this number)
he had 39 singles
he pulled his song from the movie "Amer Pysycho" soundtrack
had numerous songs in other movies
he was born in 1950
acted in several movies

I really liked his role in the movie "Duets" (2000), esp the scene wherein he gets involved with a "smart ass" cowboy-type in a karaoke bar. It was priceless the way he played this out!

Anyways, just a share with the hope he overcomes the maladies that he's dealing with today. He deserves better.

Q
 
I have only one Huey Lewis LP. It's Sports and I've always liked it. Sorry to hear about his hearing problem.
 
I like his music OK, but not that he thinks the Montana Stream Access law applies to everyone but him.

I don't know if this belongs in an audio forum, but I generally wear a mask when I am out, not so much to protect myself but to perhaps protect someone else, what could it possible hurt?

Tom
 
Went to a live concert of theirs about 5-6 years ago. It was sad. His voice was ragged and hoarse and sounded nothing like the Huey of the recordings. His range was so narrow. He couldn't hit anything higher than about D above middle C and worse, he just kept droning that note enharmonically. The band kicked it and their new (at that time) lead guitarist was fantastic. I mean really good. He put new spins on the old lead riffs and took a few things into areas I would not have expected. Wish I could remember his name he was outstanding. I understand Huey now has some health problems that obviously effects his musicianship, but maybe it's time to hang it up, or maybe it WAS time to hang it up.
 
Went to a live concert of theirs about 5-6 years ago. It was sad. His voice was ragged and hoarse and sounded nothing like the Huey of the recordings. His range was so narrow. He couldn't hit anything higher than about D above middle C and worse, he just kept droning that note enharmonically. The band kicked it and their new (at that time) lead guitarist was fantastic. I mean really good. He put new spins on the old lead riffs and took a few things into areas I would not have expected. Wish I could remember his name he was outstanding. I understand Huey now has some health problems that obviously effects his musicianship, but maybe it's time to hang it up, or maybe it WAS time to hang it up.


Damned Time!:mad:

It takes its toll on all performers...some, more than others.

Admittedly, some of the songsters stay in the Music Game much long, either outta necessity or it's just in the blood.

Q
 
Not a fan of the man's music, but it was definitely part of growing up because in those years it got played a LOT. I've heard the guy interviewed though and he seems like a decent sort, a lot more interesting than his music. I definitely feel bad for the guy with his hearth issues and such. Loved that American Psycho movie and I dug the way that HL's music (and maybe Phil Collins as well?) was used in it. It seemed to do a good job of showing the conservatism and materialism that was so much a part of the vibe of that era. I don't know about that audio gear, but I'm sure at least in the 80s I would have loved to have owned it! Now might be different though...
 
Never saw "American Psycho" (subject matter doesn't interest me and am not a fan of the actor who starred in it) but I have "Sports" on LP and always liked most of the songs on it. I still play it more often than I'd expect at this point. "Duets" is a terrific film, mostly due to Paul Giamatti.
 
Back
Top Bottom