• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

You Should Know

Super Noob

Super Member
@Ray Gianelli

There are great folks out there sharing knowledge… via YouTube.

Obviously xraytony has been sharing videos for years and is enjoyable to watch on YouTube.

Today I found Ray Gianelli… he has posted many great videos. His style of teaching and sharing techniques, theory, and tool tips is first class.

If you watch you will see how good these videos are and what a great and genuine dude that Ray is.

He repairs all kinds of gear… but posting here just because he has plenty of Sansui content.


These videos are under-watched. Great resource for us noobs… that are learning to troubleshoot and repair our vintage gear.

Thanks Ray for sharing and taking time for posting your videos. Your time giving back to the community is amazing. Putting up videos is a huge personal time sacrifice.

My hopes is that others here will become aware of what you are doing and watch.

Thanks Ray!
 
Register to hide this ad
@Ray Gianelli

There are great folks out there sharing knowledge… via YouTube.

Obviously xraytony has been sharing videos for years and is enjoyable to watch on YouTube.

Today I found Ray Gianelli… he has posted many great videos. His style of teaching and sharing techniques, theory, and tool tips is first class.

If you watch you will see how good these videos are and what a great and genuine dude that Ray is.

He repairs all kinds of gear… but posting here just because he has plenty of Sansui content.


These videos are under-watched. Great resource for us noobs… that are learning to troubleshoot and repair our vintage gear.

Thanks Ray for sharing and taking time for posting your videos. Your time giving back to the community is amazing. Putting up videos is a huge personal time sacrifice.

My hopes is that others here will become aware of what you are doing and watch.

Thanks Ray!
Wow, I'm knocked out!

Back when I was a young man there were many times that when I mentioned an interests in electronics to older guys, the next time I saw them they would give me books, parts and test equipment. While grateful, I never understood it until I got older. Now that I am, I want to try to pass on what I've learned, to give back to the community. That was the impetus for starting the channel.

Thanks so much for posting this, it is appreciated!
 
Wow, I'm knocked out!

Back when I was a young man there were many times that when I mentioned an interests in electronics to older guys, the next time I saw them they would give me books, parts and test equipment. While grateful, I never understood it until I got older. Now that I am, I want to try to pass on what I've learned, to give back to the community. That was the impetus for starting the channel.

Thanks so much for posting this, it is appreciated!
When I was a kid, a older guy lived down the street from us. He was always tinkering with something outside and I would stop while riding my bike. He took an interest my curiosity of taking things apart. He gave me a couple of Heathkits to build, and an assembled VTVM and a RF signal generator. Thinking back it was really awesome of him to do this. Fast forward to modern times, and most parents would have the guy arrested as a pervert.
 
When I was a kid, a older guy lived down the street from us. He was always tinkering with something outside and I would stop while riding my bike. He took an interest my curiosity of taking things apart. He gave me a couple of Heathkits to build, and an assembled VTVM and a RF signal generator. Thinking back it was really awesome of him to do this. Fast forward to modern times, and most parents would have the guy arrested as a pervert.
While I literally laughed out loud at this, sadly you're right.
 
While searching for a local tech I found a place called Red Bank Vintage Audio in Chattanooga Tennessee. Owned and operated by Scott Grammer. He takes the time to post lots of pictures and info on his website plus many repair videos on utube.
 
I've partially watched a few of his videos on tip for trouble shooting TU-X1's.
His video's helped alot, but yeah I clicked forward a bunch of times, or I'd probably still be watching them. Long and drawn out but fully explained.
Xraytonyb is a good tech. But I'm a fan of the short form video, so I try to cap mine at no more than 30 minutes. We've all got stuff to do.

IMHO the undisputed king of the short form video is Duality Repair. This video clocks in at 6 minutes and packs a ton of info in that short span:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" title="DR #47 - Amplifier Stuck in Protection - Fixing an NAD 2200" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
 
While searching for a local tech I found a place called Red Bank Vintage Audio in Chattanooga Tennessee. Owned and operated by Scott Grammer. He takes the time to post lots of pictures and info on his website plus many repair videos on utube.
Scott Grammer is a great tech.
 
Scott Grammer is a great tech.
Im in que to get my first repair done by Scott. He’s got an impressive resume. I copied this from his website.


ABOUT ME​


My name is Scott Grammer. I started repairing audio gear in Chattanooga in 1977, as a thirteen-year-old apprentice in a four-technician repair shop which no longer exists. At that same time I was the youngest person on Red Bank Baptist Church's Sound Committee. Some of the most sought-after vintage gear of today was new and still under warranty when my career started, or else had yet to appear on the market. I worked on hundreds of these pieces over the following years under warranty as a factory authorized technician.
In the 1980's I worked as an engineer in a Hixson, TN home studio running a Tascam 80-8 and a Tascam 35-2, and I engineered my first record there, "To Be Loved," by Dana Reed. I also worked as a live sound reinforcement engineer, running a 2kW tri-amped sound system whose all-horn loudspeakers I designed and built. That system and I worked a number of concerts at Bryan College in Dayton, TN.
In the '90's I worked at various repair shops, including the service centers of Car Tunes, Champion Rent To Own, and R&R Electronics. From 1998 until 2002 I was a "Spec-4" (senior level) audio technician for a regional Sears service center, with a number of less-experienced techs under my supervision. It was during this time that I began building my own vacuum-tube amps as a hobby.
I have also worked as chief engineer of Southern Sky Recording Studio, which was in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, where I installed and maintained one of the first Pro Tools systems in the area (1992). The background behind this text is a picture of me wiring one of the microphone input panels at Southern Sky before it opened. I am also an experienced computer technician.
After being out of the audio business for many years, I am back in business, and ready to handle your vintage audio service, restoration, and upgrade needs. You can see testimonials from some of my clients here.
 
Im in que to get my first repair done by Scott. He’s got an impressive resume. I copied this from his website.

​

ABOUT ME​


My name is Scott Grammer. I started repairing audio gear in Chattanooga in 1977, as a thirteen-year-old apprentice in a four-technician repair shop which no longer exists. ….
I have several units in Scott Grammer’s queue. As of yesterday, he is no longer adding to his queue. He has over 200 units that he and his apprentice Ryan have to work through before he opens the queue again. He’s also recently placed some additional limits on what he takes. No more automatic turntables; only manual ones. No more “intermittent” problems on units because they often come back for follow-up repair so it’s not economical.
What’s the date you got your ticket to get in his queue? My very best guess is that you will add 6 to 8 months to that before you get it fixed. Possibly longer. My oldest open ticket is eight months old. I’m not complaining though; I’m confident he’ll get to it eventually and fix it right. Bottom line is, he’s a great tech, but he’s overloaded with work.
I’m curious about your wait time though. Please let me know how it goes for you.
 
I got in que November 24 last year he said it would take approximately 6 months to get to it. Not heard anything yet
 
Now that our free infomercial advertisements are over, we return to our regularly scheduled programing. :smoke:
 
My apologies to anyone on this thread if my comments are off topic, but they are not entirely off topic. Scott Grammer has a YouTube channel that’s fairly good and informative.
 
Back
Top Bottom