• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your biggest vinyl score??

For $1,500 I bought from a CL ad:

Pioneer SX-1980
Pioneer RT-909
Pioneer CT-F1250
Pioneer SG-9800
Pioneer SR-303
Pioneer HPM-100 (200w)

The gear was from the original owner, absolutely in mint condition, and included all owner manuals plus 10 10" blank Maxell reel tapes.

And 450 records - half of which were jazz and included an original first pressing of Johnny Griffin ~ The Congregation on Blue Note and a Miles Davis ~ Kind Of Blue Columbia 6-eye first pressing.

A couple of other scores from thrifts for a buck:

Syd Barrett ~ A Madcap Laugsh - EMI UK Import first pressing
Rush ~ S/T on Moon Records and still in shrink wrap
 
I sort of understand where gmku is coming from, but myself, I sure as heckfire wouldn't say no to a good deal on a bunch of good LPs!

I get that. Not everyone goes about this the same way. I've rarely bragged up any purchase on AK, but to me that was my biggest- so I finally did. And I fail to see how that is "wrong" or an inferior way to gather vinyl. I did lose a collection of a couple thou or so due to a storage flood, so maybe - just maybe- that was karma bringing it all back at once - ya know?

Going back to singulars, here's one from yesterday for the price of 1 Reese's Cup. I've really been into anything by either Buckley (Tim or Jeff) for awhile, but this one had eluded me - and I consider it a score.

Tim Buckley-Happy Sad on Gold Elektra label from 1969.

There, now I feel more better - ha.
 
It's not strictly vinyl, but I bought about 800 78s for 200 bucks. Most of them will go back out to the classifieds, but oh man the things I pulled out for myself. Including: Blind Lemon Jefferson doing Black Snake Moan and Match Box Blues. Super bluesy. Also an old Thelonius Monk on Blue Note.
 
I've picked up 2 large (at least 200 LPs a crack) classical collections in the past six months or so...free. Now, I'm not the world's biggest classical fan...but I'd rather see them in my collection than the landfill:) One collection was chuck full of DGs, shaded dogs, etc. in excellent condition...the other had lotsa opera. Very nice recording of "Tosca" by Renata Tebaldi among others. Guess I'd better start enjoying opera:D
 
Back
Top Bottom