• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your Memory,How good is it?

BOUXY

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
What can you remember at an early age? For me I can still remember between age 2-3 yrs of age many happenings which I had and were verified by my Parents and other as indeed having happened.One such happening was when my Mother would do the washing in our basement and I still remember her playing the Radio and certain songs that I recalled as well as remembering the Bars in my Crib and as well there was a Flood in early 1950 that I mostly remember and seeing my Paternal Grandfather for the last time when he left for BC in spring of 1950,how bout you?:)
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
We lived close to the railway station. Sitting in the garden, I remember big somethings moving (steam engines). I was a bit younger than three years and this is my first memory.

I had a horrible almost lethal accident when I was three years and nine months old. I remember many details of this incident - until I got anaesthetized.
 
I can probably recall some things from 2.5 to 3 years old. My sister is 3.5 years younger and I remember my parents bringing her home. My parents built a new house and we moved in when I was 1. I can't say I recall that but Ii have some early memories of that house.

As far as how good is my long term memory, I have friends I've known since grade school and they comment on how I can remember things they've forgotten. I remember a LOT of the songs we sang in grade school music class. Jenny Jenkins, Kukaberra, Dr Ironbeard, etc. Short-term memory is another story. It's not bad, just not as sharp as it once was. Hard drive getting full.
 
As far as how early, about 3-4. I remember an older kid teaching me how to make a snowman when I was that age.
As far as now, if you offer to sell me something for a certain price, I will never forget that. I will forget you name though.
 
My first memory is of being sat at the edge of the surf on a beach and having a wave knock me on my back and not being able to sit back up. Probably around 2. It surprised my mom decades later that I remember that moment. She said she had to pick me up out of the water. We were on vacation in Florida.
 
Last edited:
I have a good memory for the most part. Too good sometimes, and I remember things that I don't want to or aren't worth remembering.

Other things like new people's names, I don't remember at first and need to hear them several times. Ask me about what engines, transmissions, or what have you that will fit into a vehicle I had 10+ years ago? I will remember.:)
 
I can recall telling my Mom about a small plane that crashed into a shed on a farm just north of town. She sad it did, but happened while I was in the womb.
 
My earliest memory is from when I was about 20 months old.

At the age of 18 months, I contracted spinal meningitis. The doctors told my parents I had a 50% chance of dying, and a 50% of being paralyzed if I survived.

They gave me "an experimental vaccine" via a series of spinal taps. I don't remember any of this, but was told about it later on.

When I was 20 months old, I was able to start walking using one of those old fashion, portable, baby walkers. The kind with a 'lawn chair frame', canvas seat, and it would fold flat to be placed in a car. Any how, I was in this walker, in a house that had a strip of wood on the floor. This strip of wood was some kind of transition in floor covering as one would enter the bathroom from a hallway.

The walker wheels hit that strip of wood, I was pitch forward and hit my face on the bathroom tile floor. The walker snapped shut like a mouse trap, right where they had given me those spinal taps. The pain was intense, and that bathroom imprinted in my memory. It was all white, and very brightly lit. The toilet was on the right, wall-mounted sink on the left.

Things, in general, went down hill from here.

I'm going to write my autobiography on PoliticalChat.org, as soon as I get time. I don't think any one is going to believe me, though. Oh well.
 
Last edited:
My memory is excellent, I can remember the time i was, uh, when I did that thing...um, what was the question?
 
My long term memory is excellent. I can remember names and events with people I went to grammar school with and haven’t seen in over 50 years. My short term memory not so much. Now where did I put those damn keys and the find my phone app gets used more then I want to admit
 
Last edited:
I have memory's of memory's.To much head trama over the years,weed and booze.Repeats of movies and books are great.
 
I can remember way back. My mom was extremely modest, she wouldn't have ever spoken about even slightly risque stuff. Late in her life, we were talking about old memories and I told her I remembered being in my crib and where it was located (I was right) and that I remember her opening her closet door to block the door opening to the room (parent's bedroom didn't have a door at that time, but the adjacent closet did). I could tell that this shook her up, she said she did that to block the door when nursing me. And there is zero chance my mom ever mentioned that, she knew she hadn't ever mentioned it, but I remembered.

I remember a lot before I started school. I remember flying in dad's TriPacer that he sold when I was 3 - even remembered the seat upholstery pattern and how he spun a crank that looked like a car window crank on the ceiling right after take off (elevator trim, seats were red with a plaid insert). I remember being in the back seat with my mom and being terrified when he did a bank turn. I remember going to the airport and the hangar more than the flying, I think it scared me so much I just tuned it out.

I remember wanting to watch TV and the TV was showing a funeral with horses and wagons and mom explaining that the President was dead and who that was. That had to be JFK, and I would have been 2 1/2 YO then.

Lots more memories of their house before dad remodeled it, and he did that over a couple of year period and finished before I started school - both kids had their own bedroom now instead of sharing a room that became the enlarged living room when that wall came out.
 
I remember my sister and cousin helping to potty train me. Other than that not much until I became self aware around 4 yrs. old.
 
The little girl next door hitting me in the head with her big spinning tin top. Age 3? It hurt. Like one of these.

shopping
 
Person, woman, man, camera, TV





PS: This is not a political statement, just an attempt at humor
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom