• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zenith Console Stereo Need Info

rlfarr

New Member
Hello,
I purchased a Zenith Console stereo from an estate sale for $100 (see pictures). Did I get a good deal? The man I bought it from stated it was purchased in the 1956 - 1958 time frame for $1000 - $1200. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the model number and any information about the console. Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • 20160926_123154.jpg
    20160926_123154.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20160926_123235.jpg
    20160926_123235.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
New enough to be stereo, old enough to be tubes, modern cabinet style, and a Cobramatic changer. Nice, even without the extra speakers.
 
Wow, nice outfit, Radial sound add on speakers, reverb unit, extra nice condition. Be right on the verge of solid state introduction, easy check on back panel, look for wattage. Tube units draw a lot of current, well over 100 watts. Either way, good deal there. Turntable probably does need a new idler wheel.
 
I don't know much about consoles, but I can see why you grabbed that one. It's pretty darn sweet.

Does it not have anything on the back with the model number?
 
It has a label on the back with the model number but the ink is smeared and I cannot read it. It is not solid state it has vacuum tubes for both tuner and amplifier and sounds really nice. The man I bought it from bought it new and it sat in the same house its entire life until I bought it.
 
Nice. A lot of people caution against firing up tube stuff without having everything checked out first. Read around on the site and then make the decision for yourself. If you plan on keeping it, it might be worth it to find someone in your area who can work on it and have it serviced.
 
I think you did very well. Looks like a high end unit.

Finding the Model # of the console is fine....but what you really need to do is open the back up and see if you can find a number or label on the amplifier....and the tuner.

With those numbers....you can get a Sams Photofacts with all the specifics of what is inside...and schematic.
 
I did not power the console up the owners already had it on when I got there. They still listened to it regularly.

Sweet. The consoles I've found typically have been sitting for years without use. I would tend to trust using one more if the previous owners had been using it regularly. If you plan on keeping it, it's still a good idea to hunt a local tech to give it a once-over.
 
Back
Top Bottom