• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zenith/Garrard help...

capnryno

New Member
I bought a Zenith IS4060 integrated stereo system with some Allegro speakers this weekend at an estate sale. I need some help with the turntable. Based on some web pics, it appears to be a Garrard 630. The problem is the thing won't turn. The platter was pretty well stuck when I bought it, but I was able to get it to turn by hand. The motor does run, but the table doesn't turn. I can't get the platter off to see what's going on inside. I took off the small aluminum cover ring & clip, but it's really on there. Does anyone know about this system and/or turntable? I've Googled this thing as many diffferent ways as I can think of, but there's just no info out there.

There's a tag on the underside of the table that says:

Plessy Cons. Prods
CSA Nbr LR6412
169-574-01 6306-525
Made in England

Thanks in advance for the help! :thmbsp:
 
Register to hide this ad
If you have removed the cover and clip, the platter should slide off. By your description, something foreign has worked its way into the spindle bushing placing the platter into a bind. Keep working with it by rotating the platter while pulling upward.

Make sure that the changer mechanism is not engaged. If it is, only rotate the platter in a clockwise direction.

I recall working on a small GE suitcase turntable with a similar problem. It turns out that the owner accidently spilled a Pepsi-Cola on the platter. :D
 
I should have added that once you get the platter off, a good cleaning and relubrication with sewing machine oil is in order.
 
Hi - I have a similar issue with my Zenith IS4041 system. Am able to remove the clamp ring but the platter is stuck to the center spindle. Tried all sorts of ways to remove the platter but no success yet. Please let me know if you find a way of getting the platter off and i will keep you updated if i have any luck.

Thank You!
 
Success! :banana:

I got the platter off!

I have a Zenith console stereo that I use at work, so I was able to take a look at it for reference. I took the cover and clip off and the platter slid right off.

Soooo... when I came home for lunch, I re-examined the turntable on the IS4060. With the spindle removed, I was able to insert a small flathead screwdriver into a slot on the shaft. Then I was able to work the platter loose. I'll post some pics showing what I did this evening if I get a chance.

What's good for cleaning this thing up?

Thanks for the comments. :D
 
I was able to get the platter off too. After i removed the spindle and the clamp, i had to tap the shaft lightly with a small hammer while i pulled up on the platter. Am trying to clean up the hardened grease from all the years of non-use.

Am trying to find out what kind of lube i can use when i put this thing back together. Any suggestions??

Thanks for the help.
 
I cleaned up the shaft with some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. I re-lubricated the shaft with a thin layer of gun oil. I didn't have any sewing machine oil. It works fine..for now.:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom