• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zenith ML-2606

JohnDoe88

New Member
Hello Everyone,

I'm a complete noob to all this, but have always enjoy the sound of tube amplifiers. This lead to me purchasing a Zenith ML-2606 for $40. Everything seems to be original with the 9L20 AM/FM receiver with preamp and 5L29 poweramp. It seemed like a good way to get some tubes for a reasonable price, but it does come with some issues which I'm hoping you all can help me with. Also, after reading some posts on here, now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Here we go...

Let's start with the issues (not sure how much information to provide)...

Issue #1: Only one speaker works. I looked into it a bit and it seems that one of the Zenith "Radial Sound" jumper plugs is missing. If I take it out and put it in the other side then that speaker works. I'm thinking that since I'll never hook-up these "Radial Sound" speakers, that I can bypass the plug altogether. Options? Opinions?

Issue #2: Turntable doesn't work. It will play for a few seconds but then stop and the arm will return. I think it is also trying to switch records. Is it possible this could be solved with some lubrication? How do I go about doing that? Is it advisable, or even possible, to take out the turntable altogether and replace with a new/different one.


Overwhelmed?
I was looking around the forums a bit and found Thatch_Ear's post on Vintage tube gear care. I'm completely lost and confused. I have no knowledge of transformers, variacs, or replacing capacitors and removing and baking the system seems daunting. Are these thing I need/should be doing? If so, can a complete noob handle it or should I seek professional help?

Lastly, (and I hope the true audiophiles and vintage purists don't kill me) is there a way to add an additional input. Say for an iPod/iPhone?

Thanks so much for any help,


P.S. - I'm also new to forums. If I violate some rules/etiquette, let me know.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Seek professional help? Most of us probably should...

1964 model, it appears. I don't have the Sams information, but there's a schematic online for the 5L29: http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/64/64_Zenith_5L29_187.djvu and 9L20: http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/64/64_Zenith_9L20_188.djvu These are DjVu files - you'll need the DjVu plug-in or another compatible program to open them.

Most turntable problems are lubrication and hardened rubber parts. The phono input should work for an iPod or phone.
 
You could bypass the radial sound or make a jumper wire exactly like the one
you have. The Radial sound was external speakers with midrange and treble and using the console for bass only.

The changer should be cleaned and lubed and will probably take care of most
of the problems. If you console is a top of the line model it will have a Zenith
made belt drive changer with a built in fold a way 45 spindle. All of the
lesser Zenith models will have a VM made changer.
 
Thanks for the help!

I got the speaker issue worked out and now both speakers are working.

I took out the record player to hook-up a generic input, but now I don't think the stereo is getting power when set to phono. If I turn it onto FM and then switch to phono, I can hear the generic input for a few seconds while I think the stereo is powering down. There are three wires that ran from the record player to the 9L20 AM/FM receiver. They are red, yellow and green. I'm assuming I need to do something with these wires. Can anybody help?
 
Last edited:
Radial Sound Jumper Plug

Hello. I picked up a Zenith this morning at an estate sale with the same issue, one jumper plug is missing. How did you fix? Thanks!
 
Rick,

Sorry, it's been a while since I've logged on here.

It has also been a while since I worked on the Zenith so I don't remember exactly what I did. I remember just trying different connections until I got the speakers to work. If you still need help I'll look and see what I did.
 
Last edited:
For Rick and anybody else that ends up here, I looked at what I did. Any experts out there please chime in.

In layman's terms, I cut all connections to both "radial sound" jumpers and ended up with
  1. Three wires running to/from each set of speakers. On mine, they are bonded together flat, so it’s like 3x1.
  2. Then there are the three wires (white, red, black) running to the amp.
The connections I made are:
  1. Two “outside” wires from left speaker bundle to the white wire to the amp.
  2. Two “outside” wires from the right speaker bundle to the red wire to the amp.
  3. Two middle wires from both speakers to the black wire to the amp.
I think I understand why this works, but don’t really know for sure. All I can say is that it seems to work okay now.

Good luck :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
When you switch it to phono, the power is re-routed to take power from the power switch in the record changer. This is so the whole unit will turn off after the last record in the stack plays. The phono input on these Amps was designed to take the special low output ceramic cartridge that zenith used, it's not really compatible with modern magnetic cartridges or most regular ceramics.
 
Hello Everyone,

I'm a complete noob to all this, but have always enjoy the sound of tube amplifiers. This lead to me purchasing a Zenith ML-2606 for $40. Everything seems to be original with the 9L20 AM/FM receiver with preamp and 5L29 poweramp. It seemed like a good way to get some tubes for a reasonable price, but it does come with some issues which I'm hoping you all can help me with. Also, after reading some posts on here, now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Here we go...

Let's start with the issues (not sure how much information to provide)...

Issue #1: Only one speaker works. I looked into it a bit and it seems that one of the Zenith "Radial Sound" jumper plugs is missing. If I take it out and put it in the other side then that speaker works. I'm thinking that since I'll never hook-up these "Radial Sound" speakers, that I can bypass the plug altogether. Options? Opinions?

Issue #2: Turntable doesn't work. It will play for a few seconds but then stop and the arm will return. I think it is also trying to switch records. Is it possible this could be solved with some lubrication? How do I go about doing that? Is it advisable, or even possible, to take out the turntable altogether and replace with a new/different one.


Overwhelmed?
I was looking around the forums a bit and found Thatch_Ear's post on Vintage tube gear care. I'm completely lost and confused. I have no knowledge of transformers, variacs, or replacing capacitors and removing and baking the system seems daunting. Are these thing I need/should be doing? If so, can a complete noob handle it or should I seek professional help?

Lastly, (and I hope the true audiophiles and vintage purists don't kill me) is there a way to add an additional input. Say for an iPod/iPhone?

Thanks so much for any help,


P.S. - I'm also new to forums. If I violate some rules/etiquette, let me know.
i just bought a 1959 zenith console model number sdf 280. it states set up to be stereo with proper external speakers, is there a way to jump the connections for left and right radial inputs to use regular modern two wire system
?? thank you for any info you may have. i think if i remember right this was the answer to stereo coming out so late in the year 1958. so zenith among other mfg's pulled out mono aMPS AND PUT IN STEREO, BUT ONLY ONE SPEAKERE SYSTEM in console, there for they reworked the unit to converted to stereo. xmas 1958 was a mad rush to get stereo's to stores for xmas. bit of trivia, i am 73 yrs old and new these system's very well
 
Back
Top Bottom