We need a new gas range- any suggestions?

All my appliances are crosley all still going strong all 23 years old.If that's what sucks is I will take it,lol.

Well our Jennair dual fuel downdraft slide in blew one of its boards after about 5 years. My bad luck: the boards were no longer manufactured. Loved it when it worked but 5 years in, is to soon For an appliance of this cost to not be repairable easily.

That's exactly what happened to my otherwise mint and perfectly working GE stove at a more reasonable 20+ years. It hurt to throw out a perfectly good stove because of a $50 circuit board. And well, you know the rest from my earlier post.

All my appliances are crosley all still going strong all 23 years old.If that's what sucks is I will take it,lol.

Crosley appliances are very good, simple, and basic. Usually dependable as you can get. .Don't judge their appliances like we do with their mainly poor turntables. Big difference, I have high respect for Crosley home appliances, usually decent and among the least costly.

Thanks to all of you because your 2 cents is worth more to me than all the reviews on the internet. So far I love the Coleman suggestion because I actually have one of those! Looks like crap- been on so many camping trip and has made so much wonderful;fried fish, however I have never figured out how to make sweet rolls on it. So- we do need an oven.

Btw our Dacor is a dual fuel range. It's a slide in so the controls are on the front rather than on the back. It was just ok- the front panel was plastic and about 5 years in it cracked due to heat. They all did- well documented and complained about online. Dacor wouldn't do anything for us. Some other fault happened as well but I was able to make cuts and jumpers on a board - that was 5-6 years ago. I thought I was buying top of the line but I wouldn't buy dacor again- maybe they are better now but that ship sailed.

Crosley appliances are very good, simple, and basic. Usually dependable as you can get. .Don't judge their appliances like we do with their mainly poor turntables. Big difference, I have high respect for Crosley home appliances, usually decent and among the least costly.
MannyE ,JOKE went right over my head.I didnt even connect the 2 names,lol.As for a oven to bake rolls Lux Man how about easybake? That will go great with the coleman.

Easybake doesn't quite get it. In case you didn't know. Crosley home appliances are usually made by Frigidaire or Whirlpool. Usually as good as any out there currently, and among the least expensive, If I had to get a new stove or a refrigerator, and had to be careful with money, Crosley would be likely what I got.

The biggest issue I have with new appliances is the computer boards. Just this week I had a 3 year old higher end Breville convection toaster oven stop working on me. From the research I have done I am 99% sure the board went out. At this point I am all about low tech.

The biggest issue I have with new appliances is the computer boards. Just this week I had a 3 year old higher end Breville convection toaster oven stop working on me. From the research I have done I am 99% sure the board went out. At this point I am all about low tech.

I have one of those. I got suckered by the convection and subsequent relative cheapness (as a toaster oven it's ridiculously expensive) as well as the look of thing. It looks like a launch control panel! It's absolutely the best toaster I've ever used. Crossing my fingers I get my money's worth out of it time-wise.

MannyE ,JOKE went right over my head.I didnt even connect the 2 names,lol.As for a oven to bake rolls Lux Man how about easybake? That will go great with the coleman.

That's exactly what I meant! LOL. Actually I was surprised to learn that the appliance Crosley is the turntable Crosley! I figured some guy in New York had simply licensed the old name to make cheap turntables.

I have one of those. I got suckered by the convection and subsequent relative cheapness (as a toaster oven it's ridiculously expensive) as well as the look of thing. It looks like a launch control panel! It's absolutely the best toaster I've ever used. Crossing my fingers I get my money's worth out of it time-wise.

We did use are almost daily in lieu of the oven so ours did get heavy usage....but still...

While I cannot help you with a brand as I have an electric oven, I would suggest you think about a dual oven. You lose the storage space under the oven, but it is a worthwhile trade. Having a smaller oven is more efficeint rather than heating up a bigger space for a quick bake or broil job. It really comes in handy during the holidays when cooking multiple items which require different temperatures than the star of the show. This is my first go round with this setup and am glad I went with the dual oven.

While I cannot help you with a brand as I have an electric oven, I would suggest you think about a dual oven. You lose the storage space under the oven, but it is a worthwhile trade. Having a smaller oven is more efficeint rather than heating up a bigger space for a quick bake or broil job. It really comes in handy during the holidays when cooking multiple items which require different temperatures than the star of the show. This is my first go round with this setup and am glad I went with the dual oven.

That's a great idea. I've only seen the "oven wall" of two full-sized ovens on top of each other. Like this:

wolf_lseries.jpg

If it exists, I would actually love to see a dual oven that can go high up on the wall where the top unit is in this picture.

Where i live gas isn't an option. So we went with GE induction. It is as easy and as fast to adjust as gas. And you can cook bacon like this:

IMG_5610.jpg

We recently went with the single oven version of this in black stainless - the top is black enamel and should be easier to keep clean in the long run. So far we're happy with it but baked goods cook somewhat differently than our previous oven - getting used to it should take care of that.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...black-stainless-steel/4892503.p?skuId=4892503

Induction is the best when you can't get gas! But what will I do with all my copper pots???? :)
Absolutely nothing.

But on the positive side those copper pots would remain shiny. I grew up with a gas stove. The open flame caused some small fires now and then because of the carelessness of the operators. Dish towels, pot holders, and paper towels set too close to the burners would catch fire. If it were my choice I would choose induction over gas because of safety. But I'm not a gourmet chef.

Funny you should post this thread because we've been looking at gas stoves in the $600-$1200 range over the past month. Learned a lot.

Based on online reviews and comments, we limited ourselves to several brands that seemed more reliable: LG, Frigidaire, Kenmore, Samsung and GE. (some negative GE comments in this thread, not blowing those off)

The Blue Star mentioned earlier, I haven't heard of, and they seem to start at $3500 for their plebian models. o_O Too rich for my blood, YMMV.

Crosley I would certainly consider but have not seen them on sale anywhere, but we pretty much are limited to big box stores. Where do you find them?

Here are things I've looked at when evaluating ranges. We're looking at a range with controls on the rear not a slide-in with controls on the front. Keep in mind this is in our price range so fancier ones will have better features. But these are things I look at and make notes on.

Finish - they all seem to be SS on the front and black on top. Black sucks - you can't hardly get it clean, it always has a film on it. Got Mom a black stove a couple years ago, hate it. But it is what it is.

Control panel - is it a plastic membrane or a glass touch panel? Most in our price range were plastic but we found a few (Samsung) that are glass. I think it would be more durable. Are the oven controls up and down arrows or 0-9 digit direct entry? Look at extra functions like bread proofing setting.

Burners - check the BTU outputs. Does it have a super high burner for stir frying and a super low simmer burner? Oval center burner - most have them. Some have a built-in griddle for the center that replaces the grate. Most have none or come with a nonstick aluminum one which sucks. I would get an aftermarket cast iron one if my stove didn't come with a built-in one.

Grates - How heavy are they, and do they lock in place well? I saw one Samsung at BB that I liked in all other respects but the grates slid around with very little side pressure - just asking for awkward situations with big pots. What were they thinking?

Knobs - are they metal or plated plastic or a combination? Avoid all-plastic knobs. Partial plastic may be OK but the socket where it goes onto the shaft is where they break so this should be metal.

Oven - Convection? All the ones we looked at were. I did not look at whether they were electric or gas, I'll have to research the dual-fuel thing. How many racks? Some have three. One we looked at had a nice ball bearing full extension one on the bottom for turkeys etc. Only a few in this price range have double ovens, one had a door that would open the upper half only or the whole door, with a removable insulating panel between, so, convertible. But to run them separately they had to be within 15 degrees of each other! Useless. One had a built in temp probe for meat with a built in 1/4" jack inside the oven. Is there a light? Can you turn it on from the panel w/o opening the door? How big is the window?

Bottom Drawer - Used for warming or storage? How chintzy is it?

After doing 10-15 of them, I could look at a range and in 5 minutes write down all its features, pluses and minuses.

Best ones I have seen were a Frigidaire at Nebraska Furniture ($670) and a Samsung at HD ($649). I can post the model #s if you're interested.

One more thing. If you're getting one with gas knobs on the front, make sure they are not too easy to turn on with your hip if reaching over or walking by and that thy can't put out gas without the starter firing up. Read a complaint about fires online, and my inlaws' next door neighbors house almost exploded because of exactly this problem when they were not home. This was in December. Not to be an alarmist but :yikes:.

Five Star Range.

www.fivestarrange.com

We put in a 36 inch cooktop when we built our place. Four burners and a griddle. Top quality. Simple. No electronics. That was back in 2006 and we bought direct from the factory. The price was unbeatable. They were not well known at the time, but had been in business in TN forever. I believe they were the manufacturer that actually built for Viking until they went offshore. ???. Ours is similar to an older Viking model. Looking at the website, it seems their pricing has gone up significantly since then. Probably out of your target range.

I prefer open burners to the sealed ones. Better flame and better control.

A real, functional hood vent is essential.

We split the cook top and the oven since they are different animals. Good cooktop and a run-of-the-mill electric oven. If the oven goes bad we don't have to toss the whole unit. No spills, messes, or heat from the cooktop messing with the damn circuit boards. A gas cooktop is indestructible. The wall oven I can replace. Spend the money on the cooktop, since that is what matters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom