Favorite low power amps

Old-School

Hi all. Could you list some of your favorite low power solid state amplifiers? Lets say around 50-60 WPC or less.
Integrated amps or power amp/preamp combo's that just sound awesome.

Is there a reason to limit your power to 50-60 wpc? Usually the limitations are budget and physical size. Or, you are interested in Class A which is less efficient that AB??

Low power eh.

I'll start with my Sansui AU-217 integrated,it may be towards the BOTL for the AU series in terms of wpc (30 wpc) but NOT for SQ as it sounds superb.
Also really enjoy my NAD 3140 integrated amp and it's corresponding 2140 power amp (40 wpc) as well,both of those have excellent SQ.
Then there's my TEAC A-1D integrated @ 50 wpc,took adding a subwoofer to the pre-out to get it sounding like I wanted,but now it's my main machine.

As for power amps,both my "low power" Adcoms have been enjoyable in various systems so far (GFA-535 Mk1 @ 60wpc & GFA-5200 mosfet @ 50 wpc).

Other than those units most the rest of my stuff is (or has been) > 60 wpc...
And anything from years & years ago is long since lost to the fog of time,LOL.

HTH

Bret P.

Thanks everyone. Keep the ideas coming.

SoCalSam, it dosen't have to be class A, But I really should have gave more info.. Really looking for some ideas to power the Marantz 4G's I just got. I think they only handle 30 WPC so even 50-60 is likely more than they will ever see. No real budget, but lets say under $750 to keep it sensible.

My ideas were smaller JVC amps. Pretty much any Dynamic Super A. Or one of the hafler power amp pre amp combos from the Rockford years. Something in the higher end arena but not over the top. Definitely gotta be SQ driven. Conrad Johnson. I even considered a larger Chinese made power amp. Like the FM-300a clone. (anybody here own one??) My friend had a Naim Nate that sounded pretty darn good, though the most difficult thing to try and find a home for and ugly as a ugly stick. Sanyo Plus series. I had a cheapo JA series that would raise an eyebrow. Nikko. Did they make anything that small? Same for SAE. Love their stuff but cant bring myself to put a 200 watt amp on these speakers! MAybe a M-508 with the gains set at 25%!!! Just kidding.

I have to admit that out of all the audio products I have owned through the years I have never had a Sansui amplifier. Mac's, and lots of vintage tube stuff has come and gone. For whatever reason they just never come my way and since I have zero experience with them I never seek them out. Maybe time to try one out.

I would like to try an Advent 300 at some point. They seem to get a lot of love.

Scott 335R - 35w
I've had a couple, keep one in the garage now and sometimes I get amazed when I am tinkering around. I guess that's why I keep it.

I am partial to v-fets, so I would definitely recommend the Sony TA-4650 (30W) or TA-5650 (50W), if you can find one properly serviced and restored.

Another vote for the Sansui AU-217. I had a Proton 520 that also had great build and SQ.
Any pre-ES Sony integrateds are very quality as well.

NAD sound more powerful than their ratings, but there's no substitute for wattage, everything sounds better the higher wattage you have, dynamics is what makes music exciting.

For under $750, you can get a rebuilt Sansui AU-717, Marantz 1152DC, 1060 as someone said, etc. One reason I would go for a higher wattage amp is so that you won't need to update the amp when you upgrade your speakers. Eventhough those 4's rated at 30wpc, most of your listening will be done at about 1 watt output anyway...

Early eighty Technics, like say a M-225, are low power (25w) with STK IC pack outputs have a decent sound. One I owned, stated that it had a built in loudness contour.

A Parasound DR-25 is pleasant enough.

My Sansui G-2000, the baby of the series @16w, has a brighter sound in comparison.

Thanks for the input. It's all been very helpful.
I'm shocked at all the recommendations for a Sansui. My new years resolution is to own a Sansui amp. Or two. I'll start another thread on that and see where it goes.
For this little job though its got to be something small and cool. Maybe a sleeper brand. No worries on upgrades, these speakers are here to stay. What ever amp I get will just be for this setup and thats it.
I Like the Toshiba SC-665 setup, it has really got my attention. 2 people have recommended it, and its exactly what I was thinking of.
Also there is Hitachi. They made low wattage seaperates that sometimes go under the radar.

Back
Top Bottom