Cover copy songs...what your take on these?

Blue Cheer- Summertime Blues
Janis Joplin - Summertime
Especially Blue Cheer and Summertime Blues. So very, intensely different from the great original but if one is going to make it very hard electric blues Blue Cheer did it right... needs to be loud, very loud if possible and with full concert level bass.

Sam Cooke covering 'The Great Pretender'. That is quite a song to cover for it invites immediate comparison to the wonderful version by the Platters. Cooke brings a wonderful sweetness all his own to it.

George Jones doing an incredible cover of 'Funny How Time Slips Away'.... country blues at it's finest.

The original Summertime Blues...

These guys did a pretty good cover version, too.

Gawd... you know the truth of is Eddie Cochran is the best.... he wrote it I think and seems to be singing right from the heart of suburban teen age blues. He simply captures it.

I like Van Halen's version of "You're No Good", originally by Linda Ronstadt (not that I had to say that).

And I actually have a hard time choosing between the Beatles or Aerosmith doing "Come Together". I know, those are fightin' words!:rant:

April Wine also does justice to 21st Century Schizoid Man.

...and then there's Jello Biafra's near cover of "I Fought The Law and I won".

YY1 you are correct on the April Wine version of 21st Century Schizoid Man. My memory is not that great any more. It wasn't Michael Schenker but rather April Wine that day. The bill was Cheetah, April Wine, Michael Schenker, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, and Neil Young with Nils Lofgren. Neil brought the whole Live Rust stage show with him.

I like a lot of covers, but I admit that I am biased, since I make music, I make covers too. Sometimes I do them straight, but lately I have been experimenting with changing them up to the point where they are often humourous or unrecognizeable.

Straight humourous take:

Change the key every measure and it is transformed:

Music is just math so you can screw around with it endlessly.

Especially Blue Cheer and Summertime Blues. So very, intensely different from the great original but if one is going to make it very hard electric blues Blue Cheer did it right... needs to be loud, very loud if possible and with full concert level bass.

Just heard Blue Cheer's rendition of Cochran's "Summertime Blues" on the air waves...and it really is "intensely different". As in an LSD world.

Not a metallic-type, but l appreciate some of the more famous group tunes, but even BC's interpretation was abominable! IMPO

However, music and the liking of it is in the the ear of the beholder.

Thanks for the share at the time, Spicer.:thumbsup:

Q

You know it's kind of funny... when I first heard BC doing it at the recommendation of a fellow at our audio shop my first reaction was a bit of revulsion... I mean, come on, Eddie Cochran's classic... iconic... Summertime Blues... to quote one of Eddie's songs... wow man, that's something else. So, okay... had a pair of Seeburg high quality disco speakers in for Cuban disco competition modification... big, heavy, thick plywood construction with internal bracing, etc. with two 15" Altec woofers and an 802 driver into the appropriate horn which we crossed out at 6500 hz into a JBL O76 tweeter... I think Altec must have manufactured them but had the Seeburg brand label... they sounded very good and needless to say very efficient and produced very high SPL... amazing actually. Anyway... at the suggestion of our fellow worker we hooked the Seeburgs to a Phase Linear 400 that had been repaired and let it demonstrate how Blue Cheer intended one to hear their record... an LP rare at the time, mid eighties. Keeping in mind the band's name, Blue Cheer, was taken from an LSD that was popular at the time the band was performing... so, without the 'proper' listening experience I probably would have dismissed it but, in the glory of full on electric acid blues, it earned it's place in my experience of diversity with audio... and it needs that hard driving bass line that is the foundation for the overall intensity of the band as they do a blue cheer acid version. It needs to be experienced full range at concert level or in my opinion is mostly noise... but if one has the necessary 'stuff' it totally rocks. Not for the typical high performance home stereo unless, maybe, one has a tab of blue cheer and a couple of free days ahead of them. Thank you for taking the time to comment...

You know it's kind of funny... when I first heard BC doing it at the recommendation of a fellow at our audio shop my first reaction was a bit of revulsion... I mean, come on, Eddie Cochran's classic... iconic... Summertime Blues... to quote one of Eddie's songs... wow man, that's something else. So, okay... had a pair of Seeburg high quality disco speakers in for Cuban disco competition modification... big, heavy, thick plywood construction with internal bracing, etc. with two 15" Altec woofers and an 802 driver into the appropriate horn which we crossed out at 6500 hz into a JBL O76 tweeter... I think Altec must have manufactured them but had the Seeburg brand label... they sounded very good and needless to say very efficient and produced very high SPL... amazing actually. Anyway... at the suggestion of our fellow worker we hooked the Seeburgs to a Phase Linear 400 that had been repaired and let it demonstrate how Blue Cheer intended one to hear their record... an LP rare at the time, mid eighties. Keeping in mind the band's name, Blue Cheer, was taken from an LSD that was popular at the time the band was performing... so, without the 'proper' listening experience I probably would have dismissed it but, in the glory of full on electric acid blues, it earned it's place in my experience of diversity with audio... and it needs that hard driving bass line that is the foundation for the overall intensity of the band as they do a blue cheer acid version. It needs to be experienced full range at concert level or in my opinion is mostly noise... but if one has the necessary 'stuff' it totally rocks. Not for the typical high performance home stereo unless, maybe, one has a tab of blue cheer and a couple of free days ahead of them. Thank you for taking the time to comment...

Not meaning to be in discord, as we can't really be so, as it really does come down to a matter of POV, and is subjective in the end.

But, I really did try to appreciate this interpretation of "BC', however the arrangement seemed to be pieced together so randomly.

For example, there seemed to be guitar riffs thrown in haphazardly. Fillers? At times there'd be melodies of past great metal themes jammed together. The whole arrangement just lacked coherence. For me, it was more experimental than anything, but maybe it was my personal take on this rendition.

Amplitude might have had a plus factor. And, I admire your "diversity with audio" which is probably wider than mine. My bias may get in the way, eh?

I will admit that the playing was great, but the whole tune didn't come together. Maybe it wasn't supposed to?

Thanks for the further enlightenment as how certain gear can influence a fuller range at concert levelsl.:thumbsup:

Q

Last edited:
Not meaning to be is discord, as we can't really be so, as it really does come down to a matter of POV, and is subjective in the end.

But, I really did try to appreciate this interpretation of "BC', however the arrangement seemed to be pieced together so randomly.

For example, there seemed to be guitar riffs thrown in haphazardly. Fillers? At times there'd be melodies of past great metal themes jammed together. The whole arrangement just lacked coherence. For me, it was more experimental than anything, but maybe it was my personal take on this rendition.

Amplitude might have had a plus factor. And, I admire your "diversity with audio" which is probably wider than mine. My bias may get in the way, eh?

I will admit that the playing was great, but the whole tune didn't come together. Maybe it wasn't supposed to?

Thanks for the further enlightenment as how certain gear can influence a fuller range at concert levelsl.:thumbsup:

Q
Oh my goodness... shifting feet looking at the floor... You know what.... I totally confused the Blue Cheer song we are talking about with their, BC, version of House of the Rising Sun. As I was saying this and that about Summertime Blues I was thinking of the experience of hearing them do House of the Rising Sun. After all the verbiage I don't think I've even heard them do Summertime Blues. If I had an excuse for this I'd use it but simple truth is I don't... just transposed the one song with the other and wrote what I experienced. Everything I said except substitute House of the Rising Sun for Summertime Blues... sincere apologies to Eddie Cochran, his whole generation and the rest of the world. What could have put what I know to be true about Summertime Blues in the background because nobody can do justice to Eddie Cochran's song Summertime Blues except Eddie regardless of the genre. Yes... I am biased, love Eddie Cochran, everything about him, one of the giants despite his short life. It's like Wow... looka there, he was something else.

Oh my goodness... shifting feet looking at the floor... You know what.... I totally confused the Blue Cheer song we are talking about with their, BC, version of House of the Rising Sun. As I was saying this and that about Summertime Blues I was thinking of the experience of hearing them do House of the Rising Sun. After all the verbiage I don't think I've even heard them do Summertime Blues. If I had an excuse for this I'd use it but simple truth is I don't... just transposed the one song with the other and wrote what I experienced. Everything I said except substitute House of the Rising Sun for Summertime Blues... sincere apologies to Eddie Cochran, his whole generation and the rest of the world. What could have put what I know to be true about Summertime Blues in the background because nobody can do justice to Eddie Cochran's song Summertime Blues except Eddie regardless of the genre. Yes... I am biased, love Eddie Cochran, everything about him, one of the giants despite his short life. It's like Wow... looka there, he was something else.
Are you sure you don't mean Frijid Pink's HOTRS? They do have a similar sound to BC (screechy guitar)and a nonsensical name with a color:p

Are you sure you don't mean Frijid Pink's HOTRS? They do have a similar sound to BC (screechy guitar)and a nonsensical name with a color:p
That's it!... Frijid Pink. I think I need a break. Good call... it's been years. I'm hearing it in my head as I write... not my kind of music in the first place but that one song is what I was thinking of. Thanks. I must have been thinking of the laundry soap... even the LSD was Frijid Pink... and that wasn't my thing to do either. I better quit while I'm behind... or something like that....

Back
Top Bottom