Gas & War

WildWest

Well guys...

if we go to war you best be getting used to seeing this. Yup, ole Georgie boy is having a field day in office.

I thought we were already paying those prices !:eek:

We are certainly paying for it ,here in Eastern Canada,I filled the
Summit the other day,turned out it was cheaper just to give a pint of blood!!Did this happen during the Gulf war,can't remember!

Alan

The biggest reason for gas prices now, is Venezuela's problems.

We import about 20% to 25% fo our oil from Venezuela, and they weren't shipping anything for quite awhile.

My cousin works in the oil industry, and says the lack of oil from Ven. really hit the supply.

That's about the same here in NZ.

Frankly I fail to see the fuss about petrol prices.

I mean ferchrissakes even at present prices it's cheaper than a big 2 litre bottle of Coke. For a non-renewable resource that's incredible.

Just because it is so cheap is no reason to waste it.

It's about time the US Govt. stopped farting around and put some real pressure on the car makers to improve their CAFE figures.

In NZ the Government talks about protecting the environment etc. but it's all BS.

When we switched to leadfree gas (technically low lead as it still contains small traces of lead and is being stored and transported in the same equipment that was used for the old leaded fuel so is subject to contamination) , there was no accompanying air pollution legislation such as compulsory catalytic convertors or minimum vehicle emission levels.

Talk about DOH !
All the Govt. is concerned about is siphoning off the taxes in fuel costs for purposes other than transport.

The bastards !

I gotta agree here..CAFE..corporate average fuel efficiency? Weren't the big three supposed to have models that averaged out? With all the gas guzzlers, where's the fuel efficient models?
I gotta admit, I haven't seen the word or acronym CAFE in the papers much.

Close enuff to get you a (non-Cuban) cigar.

:D

CAFE = Corporate Average Fuel Economy

These standards set 25 years ago.
The last time the targets for passenger cars was revised was waaay back in 1986.

Less stringent targets for light trucks are set annually.

When the proliferation of light trucks (which includes SUVs etc) are added into the overall mix, fuel economy has probably gone backwards !

http://www.ita.doc.gov/td/auto/cafe.html

cheerio

Michael W. you are getting ripped off, a 2 liter of Coke here is 99 cents, sometimes it is on sale for 79 cents.

Das price is the least thing to worry as I'm driving a Tercel and walk to work . :) One day the gas price'd be ... ehhhh say $4 a gallon so all the gas guzzlers'd become obsolete. :p:

Regular here in SE Texas is about 1.50 - 1.57 a gallon. I usually get premium at 1.70. Guess prices are cheaper here because the refineries are all in our back yards... or just a few miles from them! Beaumont, Port Arthur, Port Neches... all refineries. Drive down to Houston area... even more refineries.

The gasoline and 2-oil leaves this area by the shiploads around the clock to other US ports. I used to work on a ship that went from TX to FL and back to TX in one week's time. It did this every week for several years. There are many others that do the same. Work on another that went to NY/NJ with heating oil in the winter and gas in the summer.

Gas prices would really suck if this area was hit by terrorist! Everyone living around here would be barbequed, so no one would be left to tell what happened. Would be worse than the Texas City explosion back in the 1950's. :(

If expensive gasoline wasnt bad enough, I just got my Car Insurance Renewal Policy in the mail and they jacked the price up yet again. I have an 87 Accord with the absolute minimum coverage (I lowered the coverage to lower the price when it started escalating last year), I drive it less than 7.5K mi/yr- which entitles you to a "discount", no tickets, no accidents, single male, age 39, And friggin' Allstate here in New York City wants $583.60 from me every 6 months! Thats close to $1200/year (for a 16 yr old car with min coverage, to reiterate that point)

At its lowest it was like $800/yr and they just keep jacking the price up every 6 months, and this time around , they jacked it up, not like 10 or 20 bucks , but closer to $110 more!

Cant wait to call em tomorrow and they are gonna hear it from me!

Time to look for another Insurance place, F-them.

Anyone ( I guess that means other NY motorists) got any recommendations for a place that can offer alot better than Allstate?

I had Allstate for many years.....I had two accidents within 6 weeks, and neither was my fault, but irregardless they put me in the "risk pool". After four years of exorbitant rates, I asked them when I would be out of their "risk pool". When they told me at least another 18 months, I left and went with State Farm, where the rates dropped drastically. For a 1990 Civic, I'm paying roughly $500/year, for a 31 yr old married male who drives over 12K/year.

Try Farmers Ins. if it's in your area.

None of it's cheap, but they were better than the others I tried.

I suppose you know, but if you have your house and car ins. with the same carrier, it's cheaper.

For my house, two rental houses, 3 cars with a teen age driver, my total insurance cost is about $4,000 a year

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom