Grado Black With 8MZ Stylus

rexrider

I had recently tried out a Grado Black which I talked about in this post here

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=405538

When I set out on this little endeavor to find out what Grados were like, I had to decide whether I would start at the bottom with a Black, or go for a Gold right out the gate. I chose the Black so I could find out as cheap as possible if I had any hum issues or simply did not care for the sound.

As I posted, I am certainly impressed with the Black. It’s not perfect and does not quite stand up to my 2M Blue. But, for the money, it is certainly an excellent value.

It was also my intention that if I liked the Black, I was going to upgrade the stylus with an 8MZ. Which I did order a week after receiving the Black.

Now there are plenty of threads for the 8MZ. So there is not much need for me to repeat everything already said about the 8MZ. But I will throw some comments into the mix.

Wow.

That is pretty much what went through my head (via ears) after swapping the Black stylus for the 8MZ. Everyone said you will get deeper lows, higher highs, and more detail. Indeed, that is the case.

I even went back to the Black stylus just to make sure I was not fooling myself. Nope, the 8MZ really delivers.

The base is awesome. This cart really has some punch now. But it’s a really clean punch. The higher end detail that I knew I was missing with the standard stylus is most definitely there now. The midrange is of course as good if not better than the black. But the gains really came from the low and high ends.

The Black/8MZ is equal if not a tad better than the 2M Blue. The Grado actually does do base better than the 2M Blue. No contest. That’s saying a lot since I thought the 2M Blue was very good to begin with.

This now left me with a dilemma. Which cart do I run? Well, it did not take me long to decide to just use both. I now have two turntables set up for regular use (thank you IKEA).

The 2M Blue is staying on the 1210M5G, the Grado Combo is now at home on my SL-1301. The Grado is running on the 1301 because there is absolutely no hum. While on the 1210M5G, there is a low level hum. Nothing that interferes with the music, but I don’t want it to show up when I record to the PC.

Some general observations:
The Black/8MZ combo tracks very well. No issues with IGD.
After relocating the 1301 to a more stable platform and backing off the anti-skate, I have not seen any “Grado dance”.
No listening fatigue whatsoever. It’s a cart that makes keep pulling records off the shelf (which is not a good thing when the wife is waiting to leave for dinner).

I am sure the 8MZ is handicapped but he Black body. But I have a feeling the improvement with a Gold or Silver body will be marginal.

All I can say is the 8MZ stylus throws the Black body into a whole other class of carts.

Cheers

I had recently tried out a Grado Black which I talked about in this post here

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=405538

When I set out on this little endeavor to find out what Grados were like, I had to decide whether I would start at the bottom with a Black, or go for a Gold right out the gate. I chose the Black so I could find out as cheap as possible if I had any hum issues or simply did not care for the sound.

As I posted, I am certainly impressed with the Black. It’s not perfect and does not quite stand up to my 2M Blue. But, for the money, it is certainly an excellent value.

It was also my intention that if I liked the Black, I was going to upgrade the stylus with an 8MZ. Which I did order a week after receiving the Black.

Now there are plenty of threads for the 8MZ. So there is not much need for me to repeat everything already said about the 8MZ. But I will throw some comments into the mix.

Wow.

That is pretty much what went through my head (via ears) after swapping the Black stylus for the 8MZ. Everyone said you will get deeper lows, higher highs, and more detail. Indeed, that is the case.

I even went back to the Black stylus just to make sure I was not fooling myself. Nope, the 8MZ really delivers.

The base is awesome. This cart really has some punch now. But it’s a really clean punch. The higher end detail that I knew I was missing with the standard stylus is most definitely there now. The midrange is of course as good if not better than the black. But the gains really came from the low and high ends.

The Black/8MZ is equal if not a tad better than the 2M Blue. The Grado actually does do base better than the 2M Blue. No contest. That’s saying a lot since I thought the 2M Blue was very good to begin with.

This now left me with a dilemma. Which cart do I run? Well, it did not take me long to decide to just use both. I now have two turntables set up for regular use (thank you IKEA).

The 2M Blue is staying on the 1210M5G, the Grado Combo is now at home on my SL-1301. The Grado is running on the 1301 because there is absolutely no hum. While on the 1210M5G, there is a low level hum. Nothing that interferes with the music, but I don’t want it to show up when I record to the PC.

Some general observations:
The Black/8MZ combo tracks very well. No issues with IGD.
After relocating the 1301 to a more stable platform and backing off the anti-skate, I have not seen any “Grado dance”.
No listening fatigue whatsoever. It’s a cart that makes keep pulling records off the shelf (which is not a good thing when the wife is waiting to leave for dinner).

I am sure the 8MZ is handicapped but he Black body. But I have a feeling the improvement with a Gold or Silver body will be marginal.

All I can say is the 8MZ stylus throws the Black body into a whole other class of carts.

Cheers

Wanna give an upper spec body a spin with that? I have several.
Oh, and yes........the 8MZ will transform any of the lower model Grado carts.
Now you need to hear an upper spec body with the MCZ stylus, and loaded as your system wants.

I, too, have drank the 8MZ Kool-Aid, and am a believer. An 8MZ on an old ZCE+ body delivers beautifully.

Glad you are loving it ! As mentioned on your earlier post the upgrade path is easy..... as long as those stylus are around that is , which judging by comments on here may not be long :scratch2:

Wanna give an upper spec body a spin with that? I have several.
Oh, and yes........the 8MZ will transform any of the lower model Grado carts.
Now you need to hear an upper spec body with the MCZ stylus, and loaded as your system wants.

Marcmorin, IM sent regarding the higher spec bodies

The MCZ stylus will probably make the shopping list at some point. But that will have to wait for some hobby money. The 8MZ is definitely doing the job for now.

I'm another 8MZ convert. Sounds great on my ZF1, and was an obvious upgrade over the standard Gold stylus.

Wow.

Cheers

Great News Rex :thmbsp:

Glad it's working out for you too :banana:

Not a bad return on $100 eh! :yes:

Great News Rex :thmbsp:

Glad it's working out for you too :banana:

Not a bad return on $100 eh! :yes:

Thanks DaveyW.

I know its been said many time regarding the 8MZ stylus, but if you have a Grado body sitting around with nothing to do, an 8MZ stylus is some serious bang for the buck.

Also, wanted to post my experience with the Black/8MZ combo so everyone would know the Black was still worthy of the upgrade. I seen posts about other higher spec bodies, but nothing about a Black body.

I have no way to compare what a Gold/8MZ sounds like vs. a Black/8MZ. But that will change soon. Marcmorin is working with me so I can try out a higher spec body.

I´m using the 8MZ/Black combo as well. Got the tip from marcmorin a while back and I totally agree: Sounds great!

Time for a bit of history here on the changing out of the 8MZ stylus on Grado carts. This started some time ago on another forum where DaveyW was comparing a stock original Black cart with one that had a Paratrace stylus added. I was curious on how the 8MZ, and MCZ stylus would compare. The 8MZ came in at 33% lower in cost, the MCZ stylus was the same price. The real question was ....which is the most cost effective way of getting the higher performance? A visit to DaveyW's website gives a pretty good idea of what the clear choice is.

http://daveyw.edsstuff.org/index.htm

Anybody reading this topic subject that has a "lower spec" body will see for a small investment in stylus upgrade (compared to a decent cartridge) the 8MZ will transform the "entry' grade bodies. Soon I hope there is another in the mix that will give an opinion on the differences between body grades as well.

For all those who have "drank the kool-aid", I'm glad that myself and DaveyW have been able to help you.

Now I'm hoping I can talk Brett into strapping my Sonata-1 on his Well Tempered arm for some A/B'ing :yes:

Your post Marc made me recall the journey we've been on together.
Well! - More you leading the horse and me reporting on my findings.

Looking back it was an interesting journey.

I remember being rather disappointed with the Black, especially after all of the forum and press reports.
My Grado exposure could very well have been curtailed right there if it was'nt for your intervention and very kind offer of the loan of the "Rescue Kit" :D

We've shared a few carts and stylii in the intervening years my friend :yes:

Trying for yourself, on your rig in your own environment is the only way to know what works for you and what does'nt.

Thanks again for your generosity in sharing - you are a true Gentleman :thmbsp:

I hope Brett takes you up on your Sonata 1 offer - all he can do is learn profitably from the experience.
Once again very generous of you Marc to share this not insubstantial investment across the vinyl loving community.

Rex - Keep on enjoying the 8MZ, all I'll say is if you've got itchy feet and want to move on and not spend too much - then consider the MCZ stylus.
Optimally loaded it really is tough to beat.

Great stuff!
Dave

this works

I got turned onto the go back in time stylus upgrade path for Prestige carts purely by accident -bought a LP-12/Rega that had one installed on it and as a long time Gradophile was simply blown away by how good it sounded. A post like the OP's revealed that this was not exactly a secret and I've since used this to upgrade a P-mount Black with a MCZ stylus. I believe this is the highest quality "over the counter" P-mount that can be obtained today (not NOS).
Enjoy.

Well add another happy camper in the 8mz camp site. Just received my 8MZ stylus for my Black 1 and what a difference. I've only played it about 1hr. so I know it will open even more. The bass seems more defined, cymbals sound more realistic , and the music just plain, more open. First LP I played was Live at The Blue Angel Jazz Club . All acoustic instruments. I can't wait for this stylus to break in.

I didn't expect to see one of my old posts pop up today.

kcblair,
Welcome to the world of upgraded Grado Prestige carts courtesy of the 8MZ.

If I recall, it won't take very long for the cart stylus to break in. It doesn't have a dramatic break in either. So you are for most part, enjoying most of what the combo has to offer right now. Having said that, the bass should open up a little more as you go.

Something to consider down the road is you can get another performance bump if you can pick up a Silver or Gold body to use with the 8MZ. Marcmorin enlightened me to this fact.

Shortly after my original post, I had picked up another 8MZ stylus. To this day I am running an 8MZ on both of my Technics (Black1 and M+ bodies). The 2M Blue mentioned is at home on my Denon 47F (it was also a happy accident that I discovered 2M Blue matches up much better on the 47F).

Enjoy!

I didn't expect to see one of my old posts pop up today.

kcblair,
Welcome to the world of upgraded Grado Prestige carts courtesy of the 8MZ.

If I recall, it won't take very long for the cart stylus to break in. It doesn't have a dramatic break in either. So you are for most part, enjoying most of what the combo has to offer right now. Having said that, the bass should open up a little more as you go.

Something to consider down the road is you can get another performance bump if you can pick up a Silver or Gold body to use with the 8MZ. Marcmorin enlightened me to this fact.

Shortly after my original post, I had picked up another 8MZ stylus. To this day I am running an 8MZ on both of my Technics (Black1 and M+ bodies). The 2M Blue mentioned is at home on my Denon 47F (it was also a happy accident that I discovered 2M Blue matches up much better on the 47F).

Enjoy!

Thank you, I didn't want to open a new thread, as this is were I got the information and the tip from "Beatcomber". I was ready to dump $200+ into a AT440mla , when Beatcomber jumped in and redirected me, now I have $100+ left over to buy more records. This is quit a performance jump for $85 (got the last one from an online retailer I do a lot of business with).

Well, I've been pulling out a variety of albums, and "Crap & Shine-o-la" they all sound soooo different . It's been 4 hrs of now stop playing. AC/DC, "For those about to Rock" the kick drum at the beginning, just put me back into my chair. Aerosmith, "Rock in a Hard Place", side 2, Joanie's Butterfly, the cymbals sound so crisp. Then I put on my fav Ventures album. My daughter came running downstairs, "who's playing that guitar ?" Then she runs back upstairs, "Dad's bought something new, his stereo sounds totally different" She's a musician, flute, guitar, bass.... so she knows what she's talking about. Then my wife can down, "I don't see anything new, why does this sound different ? "just a little fine tuning" I say. :banana: They both agree that the system sounds so much more detailed and open.

Yes, all you Grado Prestige owners, get a 8MZ stylus, it will transform your system too.

Now my wife is threatening to shut-off the power to my listening room if I don't come up for dinner.

Thank you, I didn't want to open a new thread, as this is were I got the information and the tip from "Beatcomber". I was ready to dump $200+ into a AT440mla , when Beatcomber jumped in and redirected me, now I have $100+ left over to buy more records. This is quit a performance jump for $85 (got the last one from an online retailer I do a lot of business with).

Fantastic!!

Marc and Davey likewise originally turned me on to the Grado goodness, so I was happy to pass along the good advice.

At some point you have to try an MCZ stylus, which will require adjusting the loading lower than 47k (see DaveyW's excellent web page on how to do that). The jump from the 8MZ stylus to the MCZ stylus is another major upward move.

Fantastic!!

Marc and Davey likewise originally turned me on to the Grado goodness, so I was happy to pass along the good advice.

At some point you have to try an MCZ stylus, which will require adjusting the loading lower than 47k (see DaveyW's excellent web page on how to do that). The jump from the 8MZ stylus to the MCZ stylus is another major upward move.
All for the cost of a MCZ stylus ? I'll save that for Christmas, now I'm re-enjoying all my albums. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for silver , too.

Instead of looking for a Prestige Silver, watch the "auction site" for a "vintage body" from the same lineage. If you don't want to fool with loading then that would be a Z or ZF body.

Back
Top Bottom