Looking for 1969 GTO parts.

Stereo2

Looking for a Delco Dm-8 ( White packaged, 11 pin driver ic) and a DS-515 output transistor for a GTO AM/FM stereo radio.

Does any one know if a substitute was made for the DM-8 (466-010 )?

Last edited:
botrytis Thanks for your reply. I am confused?
Do you mean do one talks about car stereos or car radios in AudioKarma forum?

You'll probably get a few hits on this if you get the mods to change the title of the thread -- Info needed about Delco radios, or such.

Good luck, sold off my '69 just a few years back. Can't believe I survived driving that powerful beast as a 16 year old... :D

I bought the inventory and some other equipment from the estate of a guy that had a lot of older car radio parts. I can look for what you are describing by part number but it will be a bit of a challenge since a lot of parts are not organized in any particular way. A picture or at least a better physical description would help to shorten the process.

I will try to keep my eye on this thread but if you add the updated description or the picture, you may want to send me a PM just to make sure that I see it, especially if this thread happens to get moved.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. Here's a picture of the IC.

I searched a website that sold some Delco parts.
They had similar Delco IC's ( 11 pin & same package as in photo ), & they were ; DM-22 (orange package 466-942)
DM-12 (orange " 466-916)
DM-7 (white " 466-911)
DM-15 (some white & some blue package 466-912)
& DM25 ( white package 25-621 )

But I do not know what difference or if they could be used for the DM-8?
Maybe some of you have some info on these IC's?

Attachments

• PICT0061.JPG
    PICT0061.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Well I thought that it would be a long shot but worth a try. I looked through every drawer and bin of odd parts but came up empty.

There are a LOT of NOS Sylvania "ECG" transistors and some ICs in another set of drawers that are labeled and sorted. If you can come up with a cross reference to an ECG number I can look through what I have of those for you.

Thanks Ultra-Hog for looking.
ECG # for the DS-515 is ECG # 121.
I doubt there was a ECG# for the DM-8 IC.

Radio

Hi:
I could NOT find a replacement for the DM 8 in any of the reference books.
The DM 8 can be replaced with discrete components , I have even opened up the DM 8 and replaced the transistors with regular transistors , I just took out the THIN whisker leads to the transistors on the board.
If you can find a schematic or manual from Sams , Auto Radio , AR 7X series , for Delco Radios of the time you will see that some radios have discrete components after the volume control , AM radios in particular , these are the values for the components in the DM 8 and others.
The DM 8 can be opened VERY CAREFULLY by lifting the back out of the front part of the IC.
PM me if you have any questions
Hope this helps
Ed

Radio

Hi:
On further research I still have NOT found any replacement for the DM 8 / 28. The closest I have come is the ECG 1120 but some of the values are different and it does not have as may pins but there are only 7 pins needed anyway looking at the circuit.
If you go to garage sales or swap meets then just get ANY Delco radio AM or otherwise that has a DS 515 output transistor on the heat sink on the back, or any other transistor as long as it is a T03 case. Then just take the transistor AND the components after the volume control , 2 DS 66/67 transistors , and this will replace the DM 8 / 28 and the output transistor Of course you need electronics experience to do this otherwise find someone who has worked on car radios , they will have the knowledge
Hope this helps
Ed.

Wow, they used a chip in the 1969 Delco stereo radio? My '69 Buick Riviera FM radio used a big TO-3 cased transistor mounted on a huge heat sink for an output and everything inside looks like all discrete off-the-shelf transistors, caps and resistors. Same goes for my '72 Skylark radio (they are both AM-FM mono radios, though). Was the chip for the stereo function?

Just wondering, do you have a local pick-n-pull, u pull it or something like that in your area (just a place of old cars where you buy the parts you need off of them but you have to take them out)? You may just be able to find one there that'll work.

Thanks for all the replies.
I will follow up on some of the suggestions.

edlipman Have you personally repaired the DM-8 this way.
I have the electronics experience to try what you suggest, if you can tell me more on how you did it.
Why do you say DM-8/28? Was there a Delco sub or Delco updated IC for the Dm-8?
This radio has two DM-8's & two DS-515 output transistors, with a muti-plex / decoder IC ( a true FM stereo radio) Thanks

I found a schematic with the DM-28 IC and I compared the two schematics and they are identical. Did any one use the Dm-28 in place of the DM-8?

I also took some photos of the insides of the DM-8 IC and I did find a Techical Bulletin 73T-3 (Jan 1973). It says you can service a white packaged with a newer orange DM-28, but the pin1 is reversed and a 33 ohm resistor ( connected to pin 6) in the circuit is deleted. Maybe someone has a bulletin on the DM-8?

edlipman maybe you can use my photo to draw your ic repair?

Attachments

• Dm-8 open heart surgery.jpg
    Dm-8 open heart surgery.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DM-8pic4.jpg
    DM-8pic4.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DM-8 dia 2.jpg
    DM-8 dia 2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 29
Found a Delco Radio testing tips (1973 NO 1) with Internal schematics of the DM-28 & the DM-29. If someone has the internal schematic of the Dm-8 or any bulletins for the DM-8 it would be much appreciated.

photo of the internals

Attachments

• Replaced by DM-29.jpg
    Replaced by DM-29.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 25
GTO Radio

Stereo 2:
Hi:
First off What is the model number of YOUR radio ?
The diagram I am looking at is the 01BFMT1 mentioned in the latest replies.
I had a 70 Monte Carlo with this radio.
As you can see the DM28 is the lower diagram. You can make a small pc board and mount the individual components or . . . . ?
You can do what I did , take out the little whiskers shown in the IC pictures and replace the two transistors with DS 67 transistors , ECG123 , SK3020 or NTE123AP replacements. I soldered the transistors in after I removed the whiskers and traced the board for proper placement. It worked for me.
Look at Delco AM or AM / FM radios at garage sales for the DS 515 transistor on the back or the DS 501 which is larger. Both radios WILL have the discrete components and DS 67 transistors to repair or replace the
DM 8 s in your radio.
Let me know how it works out.
Hope this helps
Ed

Thanks edlipman, that helps out. I will start garther up my parts needed.

The radio has absolute no labels to identify it's originality.

I am hoping someone could look at there collection of Delco Testing tip and Technical Bulletins and find something on the Dm-8.

Up here in Canada the bone yards are drying up due to recycling.

Back
Top Bottom