Not another speaker wire debate

rocknroll1

I just moved my listening room to another part of the house and it will require about a 25-30 foot run of speaker wire. I have on hand some 12 guage HT insulated wire and some Belden 9497 speaker cable 16 gauge. While I think the Belden is better overall, I was wondering if the 12 gauge vs 16 gauge might be better for such a long run. Please don't turn this into another speaker cable debate!

Yes, the longer the run the thicker the wire. No debate about that. What is the ohm load?

since you have both, try both then double up - don't need to stretch it out - use them on their
original spools.

then burn them in before making a decision. discovered this back in the mid-70s when the first
designed-for-audio cables appeared. the highs got better with the hours burned-in. I've kept
these ever since. in fact I recall cable burn-in devices being offered about 20 years ago.

8 ohm (cornwalls)

Since you have the 12g on hand then use it. 16 would probably be fine actually. I use 14 for my surround speaker runs that are about 20 feet or so. The chart in the above article I linked is a great resource.

I just moved my listening room to another part of the house and it will require about a 25-30 foot run of speaker wire. I have on hand some 12 guage HT insulated wire and some Belden 9497 speaker cable 16 gauge. While I think the Belden is better overall, I was wondering if the 12 gauge vs 16 gauge might be better for such a long run. Please don't turn this into another speaker cable debate!

Double runs of Belden? If you think it's better.

two ways. parallel the two cables or use one cable for each channel. there are some
electrical differences but use your ears to decide.

you getting close to the bi-wire folks. In case you haven't seen this - they use one pair
for the treble and another pair for the bass for each speaker that have 4 posts.

good luck

The larger the wire, the lower the resistance, and the higher the conductivity. High conductivity is the goal, if you want a flat response.

All these suggestions but we don't even know the specifics.

Is it a tiny surround speaker?
Or is it two 18" subs?

Is it going in the walls? If so, go with the Belden, since it's passed UL flame testing requirements, and is UL listed.

I wouldn't put some generic stuff in my walls, not knowing how to predict what could happen in case of a fault in the amplifier, a short circuit, etc.

Back
Top Bottom