Pioneer PL-550 restoration help

ja00

I recently bought a PL-550 in pretty bad shape cosmetically but otherwise fully functional. My goal is to restore it by reveneering the plinth, polishing the metal parts and replacing all broken/worn down parts.

I'll need help locating the following parts:

counterweight
lateral weight
tonearm t bar assembly (the plastic part on the lower potion is broken)
tonearm clip lock
headshell
feet

I am ok with replacing them with compatible non PL-550 parts but eventually would love for it to be original parts. Please let me know if you guys know of any that will fit.

Also need help locating a disassembly manual. I downloaded the service manual from vinyl engine but I was wondering if there is a different document available. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a PL-540 and I would guess the 550 probably is similar. Mine was missing only the feet, and based on my experience, they will be difficult, if not impossible to replace. I have an open eBay search alert for the original feet, and it pinged me only once, a long time ago, when someone was selling a set of four original feet for over $100. No thanks. I modded new feet based on a thread I found on this forum (if I remember correctly). It involves drilling out the original hole where the wood screw went in from the original foot to accommodate a threaded insert (can't remember what they're called). Then you simply screw on feet from a Technics SL-1200 turntable, and my understanding is those feet are still being made and readily available on eBay. This setup has worked quite well for my PL-540.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'll measure the tonearm tonight to see if the counterweight fits. Using the SL1200 feet is also a good suggestion, might bean upgrade to the existing feet anyways.

As luck would have it, I just missed out on a couple of part sales 'bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-TUR...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/tonearm-fro...345170?hash=item4d58ec0752:g:x10AAOSwhvFZCTIn

Looking at how much each item cost I am open to buying a donor unit as well and move parts around. I am not in a real hurry to finish this project. Will take my time and enjoy it.

Will this headshell fit? Any downside versus the OE Pioneer headshell?

Thanks

It will fit.

No down side, it will probably be heavier than the original Pioneer JP-503 carbon fiber one ( 8.7 gram). :)

Last edited:
Thanks. Getting one now. Any recommendations for a budget cart and stylus (less than $50) to start? Will eventually replace it with a much more suitable cart/stylus later?

Thank you. Will get that as well.

Update so far. Turntable has been completely disassembled. The base has been stripped bare, awaiting veneer. The metal parts have all been cleaned and polished.

Because this turntable is fully manual, it is very easy to work with. A lot less complex than the PL-5 I have also opened before.

Don't know how to post pictures yet but will do so soon. Thank you for all the help so far.

Thank you. Will get that as well.

Update so far. Turntable has been completely disassembled. The base has been stripped bare, awaiting veneer. The metal parts have all been cleaned and polished.

Because this turntable is fully manual, it is very easy to work with. A lot less complex than the PL-5 I have also opened before.

Don't know how to post pictures yet but will do so soon. Thank you for all the help so far.

Looking forward to your further adventures in restorations. :thumbsup:

I am now able to play records on the turntable. I decided to use vinyl wrap on the base instead of veneer to speed things up a little bit and be able to listen to the turntable. If it sounds good I'll look for a base, work on it and move the guts over. However after my first listen, I feel something is not quite right. The bass is not as punchy and the sound is muddy when I turn up the volume. It is also not as clean and detailed as my PL-5. I did replace the RCA cables with Monoprice video RG6 cables. Is it possible that made it worse?

I tested both carts on both my PL-5 and PL-550 tables and they both sound great on the PL-5 so I don't think the cart is the problem.

Here are a few pictures of the table.

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 11
I just picked up a PL 550, haven't even fired it up yet. I'll be happy to glean and and all information from this thread. I see the link to the Audio Technica cart is sold out, anyone have other leads to a good cart? ja00 thanks for starting this thread.

There is another vendor on amazon that is selling them at a higher price.

Here's a cheaper one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Techn...589491?hash=item1a309a9fb3:g:rqIAAOSwIQdZMwdw

Like the previous link, this one does not come with screws. The one from amazon does.

If you decide to get it please let me know your thoughts. I am getting a DL-110 in the near future because I am not satisfied with the AT cart on the PL-550. My PL-5 with the Ortofon Omega sounds clearer and crisper.

Back
Top Bottom