SET vs Push Pull tube amp with single driver speakers?

DonBattles

I have decided to sell my Sonus Faber Concertino's and instead try a pair of single driver speakers. I'm not sure at this point if I will do a DIY project or purchase something like the Omega Super 3 Version 2 :scratch2: But I now must also rethink my amp choice. For the SF I was likely going to need at least 60-75 watts of tube power due to the SF 86db sensitivity. But now with the use of a single driver speaker I can look at many other lesser powered tube amps. My question is will I benefit from a SET amp or one using push-pull configuration?

Well the single drivers setup will probably give you an efficiency in the mid to high 90db's so Set amps will work well with them. I think it is probably just a matter of taste. Get or build one of each:D

Most single driver speakers will be efficient but there's a range there too. 45 based SETs will put out about 2 watts to a little less and 845 based SETs which put out small PP amp type power. Pick out the speakers that you love and then it will be easier to pick out an amp.

An amp that wouldn't break the bank and may be just what your after would be
a single ended El84 amp, a bit more power then 2a3 or 45, but nice sweet tone.

Back
Top Bottom