Turntable + Phono Stage + Active Monitors - Guidance Appreciated

Millford

Hi

I have a pair of Genelec M040 in my home studio. They are great monitors, but also quite musical for listening to FLAC music from my computer. Now, I'd like to try the monitors for listening to some vinyl. Since the Genelecs have no other gain control than a switch (high 0 dB, low -10 dB, and very low -20 dB) I'm wondering how best to hook it all up.

This is my idea so far. I'd really appreciate any tips or thoughts.
  1. Buy a Pro-Ject Phono Box USB V Phono Stage (Fits my budget)
  2. Connect turntable to the Pro-Ject, and control gain.
Is this combo any good, or do I need a pre-amp between the phono stage, and the monitors?
Please excuse my ignorance. I'm not super technical, and often overlook even the smallest things.

Thank you for you help, and greetings from Denmark.

Greetings from the USA! I may be wrong, but I believe the gain control on the ProJect Phono Box USB V will only control the gain on the A-D converter to the USB output, not the volume of the phono-out connections. That is how it works on my Parasound Zphono-USB, and from reading the ProJect manual for the Phono Box USB V online, it seems that might also be the case here. If so, you might need a pre-amp. But if you can obtain a passive volume control, that can be installed between the Phono Box and the speakers. As a bonus, of sorts, passive volume controls are not very expensive. Usually.

I used a Phonobox S for half a year, and wasn't that impressed with it. In particular, the MC stage was noisy, and the capacitance and impedance switches never made an audible difference to me. My opinion on phonostages (like styli) is that there are very few bargains out there (the original NAD 3020 phonostage being one - if it is in decent condition, i.e., recapped). If I had to do it all over again, I would either get an ART DJ Pre II (pretty much the cheapest one out there, with good to excellent reviews. It may even have a functional volume control) or go for broke and get a great expensive unit (a Benz-Micro phono pre, for instance. You can resell these, often at a profit, so they usually come out better than the cheap stuff).

If you do need a volume attenuator on a budget, I recommend FX Audio Tube-001 tube buffer/preamp. Really good unit, if you can get some GE tubes to roll in it (usually around $5). Great build quality and good sound.

Hope that helps.

I have a Clearaudio Nano which has a level control albeit with a limited range, my guess would be 10 to 15 db. Some will say it's only for the headphone output but it works on the line out as well.

I'm not sure of the range and output figures so I could not say if it will drive your speakers, I would assume that because they have the -10 and -20 db steps it would.

My power amp has a level control making up for the limited range of the Nano.

Cheers,

Terry

Last edited:
Welcome to AK!

Thank you. I like it here already.

I believe the gain control on the ProJect Phono Box USB V will only control the gain on the A-D converter to the USB output, not the volume of the phono-out connections.

Yes, you are right. I looked in the manual again. It seems what I'm looking for, is a pre-amp with a phono stage. Or a combination of two separate units, though I'd rather have it in one box.

If I had to do it all over again, I would either get an ART DJ Pre II (pretty much the cheapest one out there, with good to excellent reviews. It may even have a functional volume control)

This looks like a good bet. Especially at that price. It seems like most people have good thing to say about it.

Thank you all, for the suggestions. I now have a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Greetings

d_f: The gain control of the Art only covers a 20 dB range (nominal; in fact it's 24 dB). I'd assume that the TEC/TCC TC760LC would be a better choice for the purpose...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

d_f: The gain control of the Art only covers a 20 dB range (nominal; in fact it's 24 dB). I'd assume that the TEC/TCC TC760LC would be a better choice for the purpose...

Thanks for tip, Manfred. I've not yet decided which to go, so I'll definitely take the TC760LC under consideration. Thank you.

He's needing something with a volume control, and the Mani doesn't do that. As a phono-pre, the Mani is a great choice. But his powered speakers have no real volume control, for that he'll need a pre-amp, or a passive volume control.

Edited to add: I've not heard the TC760LC. But, I have both a TEC TC-720, and a TC-750(no volume control), and can vouch for very decent sound quality for the price. Sounds even better if you can get it with a regulated power supply...

Last edited:
Greetings from the USA! I may be wrong, but I believe the gain control on the ProJect Phono Box USB V will only control the gain on the A-D converter to the USB output, not the volume of the phono-out connections. That is how it works on my Parasound Zphono-USB, and from reading the ProJect manual for the Phono Box USB V online, it seems that might also be the case here. If so, you might need a pre-amp. But if you can obtain a passive volume control, that can be installed between the Phono Box and the speakers. As a bonus, of sorts, passive volume controls are not very expensive. Usually.

This quote from the manual:
Setting the record level
In case of distorted play back of the recorded music, the level of the analogue signal going to the A/D converter, can be reduced with the level control (Gain) on the front panel.
Seems to confirm that.

That's how I read it as well, but didn't know for sure. Was kinda hoping someone would be able to chime in and confirm or deny the supposition...

Last edited:
Thank you all again for your advice. I ended up with a NAD 114 preamp. It's in great shape, and I got at a very good price. It sounds great with the powered speakers, and the added flexibility of all the I/O is a great bonus.

I have been doing what you are experimenting with, for 4 years. If I ever upgrade from the KRK Expose E8B monitors, it will be with another pair of active monitors.

Back
Top Bottom