What Was The Best Audio Deal You Ever Made?

When I came across this, in 2007, I was not familiar with any tube equipment, but knew I shouldn't walk away without it. It was sitting on the driveway next to children's clothes, with no price on the box it was in, and far from the sales table. Clearly, no one there had any idea of the value - and neither did I. My brother asked someone to come over to tell us how much it was and when they said "3", I asked him if they meant $300 and he told me "$3", so I got it. Because I had no smartphone to try to get some sense of its worth, if they had asked for anything over $30 or so, I would not have gotten it. A truly dumb luck find.

Or good instincts :) For a 7C I would give up remote control.

The best deal I've had is buying 4 JBL E100 towers from a pawn shop for $200. Although they were decent and very good bass they weren't what I was looking for. I sold them for $300 per pair.

Out of the things I have the best deal would be an EV 7300 amp that I got for free.

1970 Sansui AS-100 acoustic suspension, AlNiCo, 23" high box, speakers, M-, at the Goodwill... $9.98!

And they sound excellent.

-

eBay: 1980 GX-100 Sansui TT rack for $.

Last edited:
This best deal lately was this Volt+ amp from India. On another forum I agreed to give it a review in exchange for it being sent to me free of charge. Problem is it sounds so good I'm staying up half the night listening to it. Just can't seem to get enough.

The Volt+ comes only one way and that's totally tricked out with every imaginable mod. This sure ain't your daddy's chip amp. :biggrin:

PA250002.jpg

Best recent deal, a Sony TA-1130 integrated for $30 and a Sony TA-3200F for $50 :)

Oh and a Technics RS-BX707 DD quartz cassette deck for $3.

Either Marantz Imperial Six's for $2.25 (yes, two dollars and twenty five cents), Advent 4002's for $5 or an NEC CD-730 for $4.

If price isn't a primary concern, well than it's finding the Onkyo Scepter 5001 in the USA, then shortly thereafter getting the M-510, N. American model.
Second is finding the Stax X2 amps.
In these cases, it's the finding them which represents the deal here.

Back in the day when VCR'S were the size of suitcases and cost $800.00. I put one on lay away. About a month later, I went to pick it up. To get to the T.V. section of the store, you needed to walk by the stereo/audio dept. I spied a Carver M-400 Cube Amp, and the matching C-4000 preamp. The sales assistant in that department gave a good presentation, and I told him about the VCR, and asked if I could get my lay away money back, and buy the Carver gear. He said sure, but I needed to find the salesman that sold the VCR, and let him know my wishes. Well the VCR salesman was pissed, (lost a commission), but I got my money back, and left the store with the CARVER gear. Not sure if it qualifies as the "best" deal, but maybe the "best" decision.

Back
Top Bottom