Wife hates my home theater system

I recently bought a Monitor Audio Bronze 6 5.1 home theater speaker system paired with a Denon x1600h AVR. I mounted the rear surround speakers (MA bronze 1) on the wall. My wife thinks mounting speakers on the wall is not only "stupid" but lacks maturity too. She would rather have them bundled into one corner on top of a cabinet, a classic demonstration of how she has no basic appreciation of a HT system setup. We only have one family room and i have compromised on a lot of my interest for the sake of peace in the house. She has gone on a ni contact as a way of protesting the rear speakers on the wall. She doesn't want speaker stands either, for she thinks its clutter. I am left with no option , any suggestion?
I would suggest a "no contact" game is both stupid and lacking in maturity. however, in the name of "happy wife something something", I think you could find a good compromise with in-ceiling/in-wall speakers. Would using towers as your surrounds make matters better or worse? what about adding tall bookshelves/media cabinets to those wall sections on either side of the window with the surrounds placed on top?

unrelatedly, I personally would pull your center channel to the front edge of the furniture to prevent any first reflections off the surface. I'd also like to see your LR towers have more breathing room, but I would assume that is also restricted?

I also have to agree with several posters in here: that big black TV cabinet thing looks too big and ominous and ill-fitting for the room. looks like a gun at knife fight. stands out waaaay more than those wall mounted surrounds.

Perhaps your wife would consider pedestal plant stands for the rear speakers. They come in many designs and sizes.

T_WithoutZoom

Speakers mounted on a wall is a sign of immaturity?

You got bigger problems, dude.

Really, do you think ^^ ? :eek:
It would appear, that the OP, certainly does seem to possibly have deeper issues, in his marital environment ! :oops:
Some surround, or 2 ch. sound/room`s situations, dictate no other "practical small speaker mounting choice/s" IMHO/E ! :idea:

Well, it`s good to know, that after just shy of 65 years old, that I`ve never grown up !! :yikes:, :whip:

I`m glad to have maintained a solo life. :thumbsup:

"No children, no wife, oh my, what a life" ! :D, :bowdown:

Whatever works for you folks. :)

Perhaps your wife would consider pedestal plant stands for the rear speakers. They come in many designs and sizes.

T_WithoutZoom

Maybe a pic of her on one of these...to ease her over to yer way of thinking?:biggrin:
It would appear, that the OP, certainly does seem to possibly have deeper issues, in his marital environment ! :oops:
Some surround, or 2 ch. sound/room`s situations, dictate no other "practical small speaker mounting choice/s" IMHO/E ! :idea:

Well, it`s good to know, that after just shy of 65 years old, that I`ve never grown up !! :yikes:, :whip:

T_WithoutZoom
[/QU

Q

Anyone think this is turning into a "Melodrama"?:rolleyes:

The originator of this thread has more than enough input/details to work with. This doesn't need to be turned into another "Sandbox" episode!

Have another coffee.

Q

I couldn't imagine your setup being any cleaner or more mature. I mean, I can't even spot a sub.

My wife did have remarks about my almost dorm room setup when she first moved in. I got her into watching shows like "The Voice", and "AGT". She now realizes those shows are noticeably less enjoyable on tiny hidden speakers.

I couldn't imagine your setup being any cleaner or more mature. I mean, I can't even spot a sub.

My wife did have remarks about my almost dorm room setup when she first moved in. I got her into watching shows like "The Voice", and "AGT". She now realizes those shows are noticeably less enjoyable on tiny hidden speakers.

I could not even begin to think that "The Voice" and "AGT" could be less enjoyable.

Are you kidding? Those surround speakers are very unobtrusive! But then thats my opinion. I agree with others that say paint them white or do in wall speakers for the rears. As far as the front? I love my wife! She doesn't care what I do as far as system go. I am considerate and have some taste when it comes to decorating though.

My guess is that although she is complaining about the rear speakers, her real issue is the appearance of the front of the system. As an architectural style, I would name the front 'dark brutalism'. The contrast with the white room and bright lighting is awful. The fact that it 'matches' the black furniture is irrelevant; the eye searches to make sense of all the dark forms, like looking down a well. With such an inauspicious beginning, perhaps the advice to hire a decorator is apt. You may also want to reconsider the preference for a 'stylish' decor altogether. All black and white is about as extreme as it gets.

My apologies for being so blunt. No offense intended. Tastes differ, after all.

Geokk has left the building.

I suggest airing of marital disorder on a public forum isn't the path to harmony :confused:

Now now Bill. You’ve seen my wife’s picture and I think you just haven’t found the right one. However, there are times.

Well, that there "Altar of Audiophilia" is a pretty stark statement and darned well dominates the room.
That big black mass of stuff certainly draws the eyes to it, no matter what else is going on.
Very industrial looking - stark black and white is a very "love it or hate it" design.

Spread it out a bit more get rid of the tall cabinets on either size of the TV screen - making the screen less of a presence could help a lot, without reducing the screen size.

View attachment 1668637

Maybe you could get some slimmer (flatter) rear speakers that could hide behind the curtains, and maybe tone down the hot-spot lights in the room,
Perhaps go with a more subdued indirect lighting scheme?

View attachment 1668638
That's a funny description... an Altar of Audiophilia. By degree that could apply to any area that dominates the room... audio systems tend to dominate the room. It is industrial looking which is probably the least desirable feature for the wife... the soft violet/palest lavender wall, among other things, is probably a wife driven compromise to offset the heavy industrial look of the altar of the HT system. Someone described the rear wall mounted speakers as looking like pimples on a... on a something... and that too is as descriptive as it is funny. Honestly, the room appears to be put together by a committee of disgruntled members. Good stuff but not well coordinated... I like the clean and open appearance of the room, would tone down the wall with maybe some light earthy tones... sand color of some hue perhaps, drapes too... and those rear speakers, something has to be done about that. Maybe some JBL Studio 230 floor standers, even larger 580 or 590s which have a modern somewhat industrial/functional look to compliment the Altar. I kind of like the Industrial look of the Altar in the room, when lights go down and the show starts it is an avid center of attention... neatly put together to take care of business. I would say... either take charge of the situation and make the decisions while being open to suggestions or abandon the idea of the audiophile HT system, buy the Bose and attendant furnishings she picks out and let it be. Myself, for what it's worth, I'd design that room around the system and let that be... the other rooms can be anything, anything at all she likes. Hope that helps... : )

Now now Bill. You’ve seen my wife’s picture and I think you just haven’t found the right one. However, there are times.

Yes I have seen your wife`s pic trnhsman !! But I`m just looking, with no consideration`s of involvement !!

But that as it may well be doesn't change all my many years of closely observing women, especially growing up with three sisters !!
Hell, straight women, don`t even don`t COMPLETELY trust other woman, and I learned to trust forth coming open minded woman`s intuition`s..

I love woman, I just can`t feel that I can absolutely trust them in a relationship, which is very important to me, as I could be taken to the big time financial cleaners, which is mostly based on my "Blood Money" life annuity income..

You, Sir. may have a great situation/relationship, and I salute you.. But I`m a long term happy solo act. coming and going when I please, where I please, and how I should please, & if I please, without any "other`s" considerations !!

Selfish, maybe, but my seemingly selfish lifestyle works for my mindset..

Yes I have seen your wife`s pic trnhsman !! But I`m just looking, with no consideration`s of involvement !!

But that as it may well be doesn't change all my many years of closely observing women, especially growing up with three sisters !!
Hell, straight women, don`t even don`t COMPLETELY trust other woman, and I learned to trust forth coming open minded woman`s intuition`s..

I love woman, I just can`t feel that I can absolutely trust them in a relationship, which is very important to me, as I could be taken to the big time financial cleaners, which is mostly based on my "Blood Money" life annuity income..

You, Sir. may have a great situation/relationship, and I salute you.. But I`m a long term happy solo act. coming and going when I please, where I please, and how I should please, & if I please, without any "other`s" considerations !!

Selfish, maybe, but my seemingly selfish lifestyle works for my mindset..
I get it totally. If I were to find myself single again, that would be the end of married life for me. Took us to long to work out our dance. It works great now, but took a lot of years to get there. I salute you that you found a way to be happy and at peace where you are.

You should use another wall for the entertainment center and adjust the furniture accordingly. Disassemble the speakers and paint the speaker cabinets in polyurethane white and reassemble. Remove the top half of the entertainment system. Tape and mask off the bricks that make up the fireplace and paint satin brick red. Place the speakers in the corners as far away from the entertainment center as possible. Use white speakers cable and use white speaker stands. Calling someone’s efforts immature and wanting all the speakers in one place is an act of domination in which many women feel that they have the right to do so. You should state that putting all the speakers in one place is counter productive to good sound beyond that of just listening to a television.

My wife thinks mounting speakers on the wall is not only "stupid" but lacks maturity too

This type of comment is meant to hurt your pride. Both comments are strictly opinion, and therefore, not easily proven.

I'm all in on marriage being give/take, but I don't suffer comments like this from my wife. It's a cheap tactic.

With that said, that be one very nice looking home theater system, and I realize some people, both men AND women, won't care for it.

While it looks like you've bailed on your own thread, I hope you got some type of understanding with the missus.

I love that two respected females have chimed in here. It's a great counterbalance.

Rock on.

This type of comment is meant to hurt your pride. Both comments are strictly opinion, and therefore, not easily proven.

I'm all in on marriage being give/take, but I don't suffer comments like this from my wife. It's a cheap tactic.

With that said, that be one very nice looking home theater system, and I realize some people, both men AND women, won't care for it.

While it looks like you've bailed on your own thread, I hope you got some type of understanding with the missus.

I love that two respected females have chimed in here. It's a great counterbalance.

Rock on.

Heh, been married for 43 years James, and my wife has never asked me to grow up, and she wouldn't have it any other way. :hug: (well, she does put her foot down on me in her living room though), still ... if I need to, she'll buckle :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom