Changing over to tubes

playittwice

Hello all, I dont want to open a can of worms with this question, but have any of you Sui enthusists ever thought of changing over to tubes? If not is there a particular reason why you have not or would not. Just curious as I am pondering the change myself, but dont know if its justifiable/necessary.You folks have a lot more experience/expertise than I. Thanks.

Hello all, I dont want to open a can of worms with this question, but have any of you Sui enthusists ever thought of changing over to tubes? If not is there a particular reason why you have not or would not. Just curious as I am pondering the change myself, but dont know if its justifiable/necessary.You folks have a lot more experience/expertise than I. Thanks.

I can repair my own stuff, however I am much more familiar with SS than with valves (tubes) - so I stick with SS while such gear can make my ears happy :)

I speak as someone who once upon a time built a VFO controlled 144Mhz valve FM transmitter, and a 60Watt 144Mhz valve power amplifier, from scratch (not a kit) I started with just the schematic and a pile of parts. :smoke:

Last edited:

Two systems are better than one. You will then have the best a of both worlds. Seriously I have both and love both.

cubdog

So mhardy, how much dif in sound is there with your tube receiver?Do you prefer it over your ss stuff? Just asking to get an un-biased view since you have both. Thats a nice looking piece! Also would that Sansui be a good piece to hold out for/add to my collection or do you have something else in mind? Thanks.

Last edited:
Two systems are better than one. You will then have the best a of both worlds. Seriously I have both and love both.

cubdog

Can't help but agree with this. Both of mine are hybrid as SS pre / tube amp, tube pre /SS amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the interest of keeping the server uncluttered(yeah right!), Take mhardry6647's picture and change the FISHER to an 800-C and it could be mine.

To TRY and answer playittwice's question, I have the 1000A and 800-C(sameas a 500-C but add an AM tuner section to it). I prefer either of them to my Solid State Receivers. Mainly because that's what i grew up with, in my formative years. I don't really know what it is about them that i like more than the Solid State gear, but I find myself playing my tube gear almost exclusively. Consoles, receivers, amps, etc. They all have a sound that's hard to describe, at least for me. But the gear HAS TO BE OVERHAULED to bring it up to at least original spec so you can hear what they are supposed to sound like. Time share wise, my Solid State gear gets about 2 weeks a year (total time for it all), mainly to keep the caps charged, and pots and switches limber. Other than that, I'm playing tube gear, either the 1000A or the 800-C in the living room with consoles all over the house playing at different times.

Larry

I have some modern tube gear. I like my Sansui, but the tube stuff
does some stuff better. Bad recordings sound less bad(hard to describe why).
SS gear just shoves it in your face. On good recordings, the SS Sansui
holds it's own. I go back and forth between amps.

I like tube gear & horn loaded speakers the best. I sold most of my higher power SS stuff along with my inefficient speakers. My collecting/hoarding has changed over the year. Fever

Back
Top Bottom