Advent Loudspeaker newbie

jhouse55

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello,
This is getting to be a sickness, but I got this. Picked up a pair of Advent Loudspeakers today. Cabinets are in pretty good shape, and Woofers need a refoam. Anyone have a link out there on Advent models and info? I noticed a thread all about advents on the forum here but the pictures are missing.

I have seen a few others that people refer as the Advent Loudspeaker, but the edges are squared off, not rounded like these. Were those the “New” Advents?

Tweeters and Woofers test out good, when I refoam I’ll check out the cap specs on the crossover.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• D90E0742-F737-405B-97A8-8755B8DEDE99.jpeg
    D90E0742-F737-405B-97A8-8755B8DEDE99.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 162
  • E014671D-1B20-4DE7-9265-B3EC7D288DD6.jpeg
    E014671D-1B20-4DE7-9265-B3EC7D288DD6.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 39C3CD9D-D16D-4104-8C8E-1F20B127EB38.jpeg
    39C3CD9D-D16D-4104-8C8E-1F20B127EB38.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 145
  • A6BC2C5D-FCD1-4B21-9BC7-1D0B2152D65C.png
    A6BC2C5D-FCD1-4B21-9BC7-1D0B2152D65C.png
    443.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 1F23764A-8FAA-4FD7-97E7-ADAB8DB854CA.png
    1F23764A-8FAA-4FD7-97E7-ADAB8DB854CA.png
    481.7 KB · Views: 166
Do you happen to know what the white material is that is in between the tweeter and cabinet? I noticed this same type of material used as a gasket between the speaker frame and wood on one of my KLH speakers. Would like to get some more if possible.

Attachments

• 6DF3C36F-2322-4052-A059-2ACC1ABE0687.jpeg
    6DF3C36F-2322-4052-A059-2ACC1ABE0687.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 4D80B15D-6246-4C26-9F23-43B30B3CD05C.jpeg
    4D80B15D-6246-4C26-9F23-43B30B3CD05C.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 54
You have what is called the OLD LARGE ADVENT. The same but square front edge version is called THE UTILITY CABINET. Same speaker I do believe. The round edge is called THE BULL NOSE. And is the NEW LARGE ADVENT, I think.
All very good. Of that I'm sure.

I have the rounded edge (bull nose) so you’re saying I have the new or original old one? Thanks quiet!

You have what is called the OLD LARGE ADVENT. The same but square front edge version is called THE UTILITY CABINET. Same speaker I do believe. The round edge is called THE BULL NOSE. And is the NEW LARGE ADVENT, I think.

No you have the detailed beveled edge. OLD LARGE ADVENT. First one on the scene.
The bull nose is round front edge. NEW LARGE ADVENT.

I owned and refoamed many of these all known as the large advent. I owned mine when they were new in the 70's.I splurged for the nice wood cabinet instead of the utility model as did my friend who had four (and gave them to me) from his quadrophonic fisher system. When you refoam, make sure you do them as the original inverted position to maintain the long throw of the woofer. Nice speakers. Good luck.

Utility is vinyl covered i believe. I bought the same beveled ones which cost more, but real wood.

Do you happen to know what the white material is that is in between the tweeter and cabinet? I noticed this same type of material used as a gasket between the speaker frame and wood on one of my KLH speakers. Would like to get some more if possible.
Some craft stores sell sheets of a material that is a piece of foam that you can use as a gasket. I used some to reseal my early klh model six, crossover panel.

When Advents first came out they had 3 basic styles; utility cabinet-oiled walnut(veneer)-bull nosed oil walnut(veneer). A few years later the NLA(New Large Advent) which is similar but different to the bull nose speaker. Try classicspeakerspages.net for more help.

NEW LARGE ADVENT is ----------BULL NOSE--------------
OLD LARGE ADVENT is ----------BEVELED EDGE---------

But now they tell me OLA is just THE ADVENT LOUD SPEAKER.

Last edited:
When Advents first came out they had 3 basic styles; utility cabinet-oiled walnut(veneer)-bull nosed oil walnut(veneer). A few years later the NLA(New Large Advent) which is similar but different to the bull nose speaker. Try classicspeakerspages.net for more help.

This isn't quite right and I blame that damn Advent speaker identification thread. Quiet has it right, partially, in that the early speaker Exactly like the ones the OP has are a beveled or chamfered edge on a walnut veneered speaker. But it is called the Advent Loudspeaker. Advent did not call it the old anything. When the New Advent Loudspeaker came out they needed an new name and that name was adding New to the previous name. The Advent Loudspeaker became the New Advent Loudspeaker. It is AK that has bastardized the name to add Old to the name frequently abbreviated OAL vs. NAL. But the correct wording for these should be original Advent Loudspeaker and New Advent Loudspeaker. original in small letters because it is not part of the proper name for the speaker.

Since the author of that advent speaker id thread hasn't been here in years, it would be nice if a Moderator would go in and change the incorrect information that the Advent Loudspeaker (Walnut early version, chamfered edge) is a bullnose. No one in any industry that uses a chamfered edge calls it a bullnose. The bullnose is the rounded edge frequently found on countertops and such.

Those speakers look great. A bit of work and you will have a fine pair waiting for a second pair to flip over and put on top with a parallel connection to the first speaker/back to the amp. Stacked Advents are a tremendous poor man's high end speaker system. Way more than the sum of their parts.

Last edited:
Welcome to the party, if not a bit late. :) As others have indicated, yours is part of the original series that ran from 1969-1976. In 1977, the "New" version was introduced intended to address a couple limitations from the earlier series. There were many small changes, but here are the key ones:

1. Simpler crossover using fewer components. Frequency to woofer was also increased from 1 kHz to 1.5 khz to improve tweeter power handling
2. Tweeter was ferro-fluid cooled for further high power protection. One of my audio reviewer mentors fried several using a Phase Linear 700 in his 1973 review. :)
3. Woofer basket was simplified and located closer to tweeter for better driver blending
4. Grill cloth opening increased in size to minimize diffraction.

I bought my first pair as a teen in 1972. Ran a double pair shortly afterwards. Fast forward to about fifteen years ago when I purchased four used New Advents. I've subsequently given away one pair and modified the remaining one. Updated crossover caps, added felt diffraction pads around tweeters and listen sans grill cloth for better imaging. They possess some colorations, but remain a pretty faithful reproducer of music.

garage102018.jpg

This isn't quite right and I blame that damn Advent speaker identification thread. Quiet has it right, partially, in that the early speaker Exactly like the ones the OP has are a beveled or chamfered edge on a walnut veneered speaker. But it is called the Advent Loudspeaker. Advent did not call it the old anything. When the New Advent Loudspeaker came out they needed an new name and that name was adding New to the old name. The Advent Loudspeaker became the New Advent Loudspeaker. It is AK that has bastardized the name to add Old to the name frequently abbreviated OAL vs. NAL. But the correct wording for these should be original Advent Loudspeaker and New Advent Loudspeaker. original in small letters because it is not part of the proper name for the speaker.

Since the author of that advent speaker id thread hasn't been here in years, it would be nice if a Moderator would go in and change the incorrect information that the Advent Loudspeaker (Walnut early version, chamfered edge) is a bullnose. No one in any industry that uses a chamfered edge calls it a bullnose. The bullnose is the rounded edge frequently found on countertops and such.

Those speakers look great. A bit of work and you will have a fine pair waiting for a second pair to flip over and put on top with a parallel connection to the first speaker/back to the amp. Stacked Advents are a tremendous poor man's high end speaker system. Way more than the sum of their parts.

I agree except that my new Large Advents (which are bullnose) have "The Advent Loudspeaker" printed on the back. It does not say "new." My OLA speakers (bevel front) have the same words as my NLA. Advent called both the original and the replacement by the same name. It is the public that came up with "old" and "new" to differentiate between the speakers.

Another way to differentiate between the OLA and the NLA is by the serial number. My OLA serial numbers start with a pre-printed "A" followed by the serial number. The NLA serial numbers begin with "A3" or "A4," which are pre-printed, followed by the rest of the serial number.

Edited to correct legend on back.

Last edited:
I agree except that my new Large Advents (which are bullnose) have "The Large Advent" printed on the back. It does not say "new." My OLA speakers (bevel front) have the same words as my NLA. Advent called both the original and the replacement by the same name. It is the public that came up with "old" and "new" to differentiate between the speakers.

Another way to differentiate between the OLA and the NLA is by the serial number. My OLA serial numbers start with a pre-printed "A" followed by the serial number. The NLA serial numbers begin with "A3" or "A4," which are pre-printed, followed by the rest of the serial number.
The back of the speaker, I don't have a pair here, sold em at Hi-Fi House in Knoxville, so I don't recall exactly what they have on them but look at the OM and Brochure for the NLA on Njord's site and the documents say New Advent Loudspeaker. It seems to be an easy way to talk about them and Advent did but without changing the back panel except the number afte the A. Weren't the utility cabinet serial number U3 or U4, respectively?

edit

oh the link: http://www.kallhovde.com/advent/

I agree except that my new Large Advents (which are bullnose) have "The Large Advent" printed on the back.
Mine sure don't. Would you care to post a pic of that? Here's mine:

advent.jpg

It does not say "new."
That's what you find on the brochures and advertisements. Click the link I provided in post # 12 for an eight page description.

Last edited:
I agree except that my new Large Advents (which are bullnose) have "The Large Advent" printed on the back. It does not say "new." My OLA speakers (bevel front) have the same words as my NLA. Advent called both the original and the replacement by the same name. It is the public that came up with "old" and "new" to differentiate between the speakers.

I’ll buy that for a dollar; with the advent (no pun intended, or not...) of The Smaller Advent, it would make sense that Advent changed the name to “The Large Advent”.

Mine sure don't. Would you care to post a pic of that? Here's mine:

View attachment 1367533

That's what you find on the brochures and advertisements. Click the link I provided in post # 12 for an eight page description.

I stand corrected. I edited my post above to reflect the correct words as you so kindly show in your picture. So much for me trying to rely on my short-term memory. I mis-remembered just walking between the next room where I have both sets of speakers.

Last edited:
No worries. I'm never mistaken myself. ;)

Did you follow the link I provided to Advent's description of the new series?

Yep. I recognized the manual. I downloaded a copy of it several months ago when I first got my NLA. I forgot I had it. Should I be worried about my memory?

I just wish Advent had used model numbers or better speaker names for the various models. It would have avoided so much confusion for so many.

Back
Top Bottom