Advent Loudspeaker repair help needed

marktdj

Hope someone can help. I recently picked up a pair of The Advent Loudspeakers and a pair of Advent Maestros. In my haste to refoam them, I didn't do a good check of the speakers. After the refoam, 1 speaker on each pair has a distinct "popping" sound when I increase the volume. What can I do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Hope someone can help. I recently picked up a pair of The Advent Loudspeakers and a pair of Advent Maestros. In my haste to refoam them, I didn't do a good check of the speakers. After the refoam, 1 speaker on each pair has a distinct "popping" sound when I increase the volume. What can I do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Test it with a different receiver/amp.

How did you do the refoam? Shimmed or shimless? Is there a "possibility" that the V/C isn't centered in the gap? That can happen if it's not on center.

I'm thinking that its the amp or receiver's volume pot acting up, especially if it is the same sound from the same channel.

Swap the speakers L-R and see if the problem moves to the opposite channel. If so, it's a speaker problem. If not, it's an amp/preamp problem.

Thanks for the answers. If it's a speaker problem, what could it be? A misaligned voice coil?

Thanks again,
Mark

Thanks for the answers. If it's a speaker problem, what could it be? A misaligned voice coil?

Thanks again,
Mark

Depends on the sound that it makes.

With the speaker off, push in on the suspect cone. Can you feel any resistance before you reach the end of the travel? Any rubbing sounds?

There is very little resistance on the original Advent loudspeaker as it compares to the one that works - and some rubbing sounds. On the Advent Maestro - good, firm resistance and no rubbing sounds.
Thanks

There is very little resistance on the original Advent loudspeaker as it compares to the one that works - and some rubbing sounds. On the Advent Maestro - good, firm resistance and no rubbing sounds.
Thanks

Hmm...

Did you switch the speakers from Left to Right? Or try them with a different amplifier? I just want to eliminate all variables.

I did - it seems it corrected the problem on the Maestros but did nothing for the Advent Loudspeaker. I probably need to play with this a while. Is little resistance normal? Most of the other woofers I've refoamed have firm resistance??

Thanks.

I did - it seems it corrected the problem on the Maestros but did nothing for the Advent Loudspeaker. I probably need to play with this a while. Is little resistance normal? Most of the other woofers I've refoamed have firm resistance??

Thanks.

I think the sealant for your Advent Loudspeaker has gone bad, try replacing it. I am thinking the less resistance could be air leaks.
Another thing could be that the woofer has a longer excursion than the other speakers.

Forgive me, but how do I replace the sealant for the speaker? I don't even know what part of the speaker it is. Can you help?

Thanks,

There needs to be some type of sealant/gasket between the woofer (and tweeter) mounting flange and the baffle to keep the cabinet airtight. My preference is rope calk (Mortite). Ace brand works well. Duck brand sucks ass. Never used actual "Mortite", myself.

Another nasty sound is your voice coil bobbin hitting the magnet, or at least the cone edge hitting the magnet when the cabinet is not fully sealed. I have a pair of KLH 17's that needed the surrounds redoped- when I played them for the first time they were scary easy to bottom out, only took about 10 watts. Make sure there are no leaks. Another thing it could be is a loose wire, or possibly a torn tinsel lead from the woofer's terminals to the cone. This happened to me several times on a Sansui woofer that enjoyed lots of excursion.

Back
Top Bottom