• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I'm done with "fun but fake." Looking for suggestions.

On another note....

Think about some Golden Age Infinities...RS IIIb, RS IIb's even if you can find them.....:thmbsp:
 
Too funny, your Avatar. I picked up a pair of Advent/1 speakers a couple weeks ago for $5. Both had Duct Tape surrounds. I'll be ordering new foams soon as all drivers work great. I'll also be replacing caps.
 
4312A?

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/4312A ts.pdf

$3.95 ZilchPlugz will tame the bass; read up here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12036-Acoustic-(Air)-Suspension&highlight=

The boomy bass of control monitors was intentional. 4312A uses "evolved" mid and high drivers that were ultimately incorporated into some of the best JBL studio monitors mentioned above.

As to the "What shall I get next?" wankfest developing here, these threads are your best end-run reference:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121137

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65536
 
Like they say "everyone has one" Here's my opinion. Currently in my line up my favorites are ESS AMT-1 but as Arkay mentioned these are some that lack a little in the mid area, that aside they are very airy and I can about feel the breeze as the guitar swings around. However the other pair in my lineup are DCM Timeframe 700 and they nice and even through the range, they don't have earth shaking bass, but then if you need that part add a sub. For me the cover all the bases from classical to jazz, to my personal favorite classic rock. Imaging is excellent and I can't think of another pair in the price range that give a better value. I see them frequently like new in the box for 3-400 or if a scuff or two doesn't bother you, I see average condition ones going for 100 beans all the time. Saw a pair of TF400 the other day on CL for $50. Quite underrated IMHO
 
Instead of getting rid of the speakers for something else that may have problems of it's own, why don't you fix the problems with your current speakers....

And/or just buy a real good and musical active sub with variable X-O, and set the X-O to around 40-60Hz, which should leave your JBLs with less of the low frequencies to attempt to reproduce.
 
I too think I would look at plugging the ports. But it may be an upstream issue also.

You're not going to find a much better speaker short of paying a good deal more I think. Certainly not an AR anything.

4312A?
The boomy bass of control monitors was intentional. 4312A uses "evolved" mid and high drivers that were ultimately incorporated into some of the best JBL studio monitors mentioned above.
 
I've had my JBL 4312a Monitors for about 10 months or so. Initially, I liked them a whole lot; I found them to be much more forward than my AR-3s, but the boxy and boomy bass is really detracting from my overall listening experience. I don't want something that is bass heavy, but I would like something with improved extension. I have some friends who are willing to lend me some speakers to demo (Walsh 2s and Heresy), but I am open to other suggestions. New or old doesn't matter to me.

My amp is a McIntosh MC2105 and I have a budget of $1,000.

I have a pair of Large Advents that I will trade for the 4312s! :yes:
 
I have a pair of Large Advents that I will trade for the 4312s! :yes:

Are they AR-LST models or not quite that "large" :D

That is what I went to after having L-100 then L200... Quite a difference in listening between the LSTs and both JBLs
 
I even like my Maggies and MK for rock at reasonable levels.

+1 on the Magnepans. I have SMGs and MG IIbs. As far as upper end mellowness and accuracy these are right up there with my Acoustat Model 2/MHs which sound clearer and more realistic than any other loudspeaker I have ever owned. Go electrostatic if your budget can afford. IMHO, no horn speaker- Klipsch, JBL, Altec, ect. can even touch the overall smoothness and detail of a ribbon or electrostatic speaker. As a matter of fact it is very difficult for me to listen to my horn speakers now after finding the Maggies and Acoustats. They just seem like they are missing that "relaxed open air" sound and come across as artificial.
 
I've had my JBL 4312a Monitors for about 10 months or so. Initially, I liked them a whole lot; I found them to be much more forward than my AR-3s, but the boxy and boomy bass is really detracting from my overall listening experience. I don't want something that is bass heavy, but I would like something with improved extension. I have some friends who are willing to lend me some speakers to demo (Walsh 2s and Heresy), but I am open to other suggestions. New or old doesn't matter to me.

My amp is a McIntosh MC2105 and I have a budget of $1,000.

Your observations about the sound of your JBL's mirror mine almost exactly. Shrill highs and boomy bass that they were designed to have? WTF kind of person deliberately designs any speaker to have those attributes?

I've been using different versions of Acoustat electrostatics since 1983. My main pair (Spectra 22's) have been in my listening room for 10+ years. Since acquiring them I have added dual TL subs. For me, the addition of the subs solved the only complaint I've ever had about them. Running them full range or with the Acoustat SPW-1 woofer didn't have enough bass for my taste.

My stats will play fairly loud (110dB@18' in a 14'x22' room) according to the manufacturer. I'm reasonably certain they will do better than that with all the bass from 80Hz down going to my TL subs. As for how they sound, hatrack71 said it all.

I got off the speaker go round when I switched to Acoustats. All you Maggie lovers, you have no idea what you are missing! All the things you like about Maggies and more. More clarity, clearer, cleaner and more of "they are right over there playing instruments".
 
Klipsch Cornwall II's.

3D soundstage for Rock, esp. the Stadium Rock era live dlp's. Amazing for Blue Note era Jazz. Makes the Folkies seem like they are in the room with you as well.
I will NEVER sell mine. Ever.
 
4312A?

ZilchPlugz will tame the bass; read up here:

+1

Give it a try, its quick, easy and inexpensive. It does attenuate the boom; as to whether this is enough of an improvement - only you can tell. Might just hold you over until you make your desired transition, at a leisurely pace.

One should never hunt when you are hungry - as you might just eat the first thing that comes along.
 
I got off the speaker go round when I switched to Acoustats. All you Maggie lovers, you have no idea what you are missing! All the things you like about Maggies and more. More clarity, clearer, cleaner and more of "they are right over there playing instruments".

I picked up my double 9s back in 1977. I have not heard anything that has made me want to move them out of the way and I have listened to a LOT of speakers in that 33 year time period. At one point I had the double 9s and a pair of Fulton model J in the same room (for almost a year). That was the longest time any speaker has held my interest against them. Usually it is just a few minutes untill I say "oh well" but I will listen for an hour or so to get a fair comparison.
 
Your observations about the sound of your JBL's mirror mine almost exactly. Shrill highs and boomy bass that they were designed to have? WTF kind of person deliberately designs any speaker to have those attributes?
Pros.

They're called "Control Monitors."

In a more evolved state, "Studio Monitors...." :D
 
Your observations about the sound of your JBL's mirror mine almost exactly. Shrill highs and boomy bass that they were designed to have? WTF kind of person deliberately designs any speaker to have those attributes?
...

+1 on Pros.

They were designed to mimic the sound of the industry standard Altec monitors of the time. They allowed recording engineers to replace a huge box with a smaller one without having to re-learn the sound of the control room monitors. Workflow was not interrupted like it would have been with a completely flat, accurate monitor. People were used to the sound they had been using for years, and did NOT want to change overnight. Sales-wise, it was a successful strategy...

Recording sessions are a completely different situation from merely playing back a recording. Playback gives you the luxury of time, time to listen to the quality of the recording, time to appreciate the music, time to listen over and over, etc. During a session time is the most precious commodity, you don't get a second chance to hear the microphone overload or the pre-amp clipping. The exaggerated treble actually helps in hearing these sorts of distortions sooner, and keeping them out of the final product.

The boomy bass was probably just what a 604 sounds like in the size box that it was used in...
 
I've heard a 604, and it was...interesting. Need to listen to it more to get a better handle on its sound.

70salesguy, I have listened to L100's and NLA's every day for 4 years at my high school....the NLA's are better, every time.
 
Back
Top Bottom