• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official -Technics SL-1600/1700/1800- Owners Thread

Here's my Technics SL-1650. Love to stack those 45s!:D

SL-1650001.jpg


For single play on a SL-1650, you need to stack some thin platter mats underneath or on top to get correct VTA.

EvansStuff007.jpg
 
For single play on a SL-1650, you need to stack some thin platter mats underneath or on top to get correct VTA.

HA! I cut a cork mat (from Jo-Ann Fabrics), plus an old LP between the cork and original rubber mat to get close to the correct VTA. Okay, that may be the only negative to the 1600.

Sure makes for a short spindle shaft!
 
Sure makes for a short spindle shaft!

You can say that again! There's just enough, and that's it.:D

I only use my SL-1650 for stacking 7" 45rpm records & playing records that aren't in such great shape (single play mode). I use my Thorens TD-160/SME 3009 (fluid Damper) for playing VG-Mint condition records.:music:
 
Count me in! I own two SL-1710s, two SL-1700s, an SL-1600 and an SL-1311 (basically the quartz European version of the SL-1600) plus a whole stable of pre-mounted and aligned cartridges for them. I have also installed muting switches on all of them so I don't have to hear the "THUMP" of the arm lifting at the end of the record. They are my absolute favorite turntables of all time and have long since replaced both of my Thorens TD-125 mkII tables and my TD-160.
 
I bought my SL1600MK2 back around 1980 and worked beautifully until a few months ago when the automatic stopped working. Took it to the service center and the technician said the broken part (I guess is the famous gear that gives up after 30 years or so) is NLA but managed to keep it working manually. Now I have a manual 1600MK2 and I am half happy. Ever since new it has an ADC ZLM cartridge which the guys that know a lot consider to be one of the best ever. And I agree with them.
 
I bought my SL1600MK2 back around 1980 and worked beautifully until a few months ago when the automatic stopped working. Took it to the service center and the technician said the broken part (I guess is the famous gear that gives up after 30 years or so) is NLA but managed to keep it working manually. Now I have a manual 1600MK2 and I am half happy.

The fix:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=452256

John
 
I love my SL-1800 with at140lc, easily one of the best sounding tables i've ever had/heard. I'm super jealous of you guys with the 1600's. My only complaint with the 1800 is lack of automatic features but I got it for a steal on CL last year. The minor extra effort is a small price to pay for the superior sound :)
 
I love my SL-1800 with at140lc, easily one of the best sounding tables i've ever had/heard. I'm super jealous of you guys with the 1600's. My only complaint with the 1800 is lack of automatic features but I got it for a steal on CL last year. The minor extra effort is a small price to pay for the superior sound :)

The 1600MkII is indeed a good TT tho' I opted to keep the Sony PS-X70 and pass the Techie onto another AK'er. The Techie is more user-friendly while the Sony is a potentially better TT tho' far more cumbersome to set up.
 
I take it you don't like the MK2 versions of these either?

I think that a little googling on the 1300-1500 MK2 will demonstrate that there is almost no controversy with respect to the 1300-1500MK2s. Everyone that has had experience with them pretty much agrees.
 
Wow! The enthusiasm has spread. I really didn't think there were as many happy owners as there seems to be! Waiting for a few others suspiciously missing.

I forgot to add my 1650 to the list. I don't currently use it but it waits close by.

I think the attraction also has something to do with "...and this one is juuuusssstt right!" This series TT seems to fit in that not too high end (high cost) and not entry level but still of very good quality -- and modable. Parts are available. Thanks to the techs here at Ak who have shared their knowledge and time edjamakatin' us to appreciate these TTs.
 
I have a SL-1700 Mk I that I bought off BT. It's been completely trouble-free and easy to set up and balance for different head shells. The semi-auto is fine with me, though full auto would be nice too. My cover is broken in the back and I'm missing a hinge, so I lift on/off, but hope to get her back someday to 100% on that.

I have a small collection of carts to use, but my main is a Shure M91ED ever since I accidentally trashed my Grado 8MZ stylus.
 
I think that a little googling on the 1300-1500 MK2 will demonstrate that there is almost no controversy with respect to the 1300-1500MK2s. Everyone that has had experience with them pretty much agrees.

Please don't mock and dismiss me. it's not always easy to figure out tone over an internet forum. I would greatly prefer we help each other here with our love of the technics tables, no matter what model. I'm not as ignorant on these tables as you incur, and hopefully can contribute continued help to you with my experience of the SP15 you have aquired.

No vintage table is immune to possible hiccups- the 1300-1500MK2 included, as well as the SP15.

Despite this, we should be able to agree that the better models of this brand are a delight to own and anyone who has one, should be proud in ownership.
 
Wow! The enthusiasm has spread. I really didn't think there were as many happy owners as there seems to be! Waiting for a few others suspiciously missing.

I forgot to add my 1650 to the list. I don't currently use it but it waits close by.

I think the attraction also has something to do with "...and this one is juuuusssstt right!" This series TT seems to fit in that not too high end (high cost) and not entry level but still of very good quality -- and modable. Parts are available. Thanks to the techs here at Ak who have shared their knowledge and time edjamakatin' us to appreciate these TTs.

Well, I didn't either until recently. But I noticed that people kept posting, and it was often different people. I'm glad to see the reactions of so many people! And, like the 1200 thread, I imagine this can quickly become a repository of knowledge for those who have these tables or need info about them.
 
Please don't mock and dismiss me. it's not always easy to figure out tone over an internet forum. I would greatly prefer we help each other here with our love of the technics tables, no matter what model. I'm not as ignorant on these tables as you incur, and hopefully can contribute continued help to you with my experience of the SP15 you have aquired.

No vintage table is immune to possible hiccups- the 1300-1500MK2 included, as well as the SP15.

Despite this, we should be able to agree that the better models of this brand are a delight to own and anyone who has one, should be proud in ownership.

I wanted to avoid discussing this series because so much has been written about it. The autos and semi autos are known to have nearly a 100% failure rate and the repair is difficult to impossible. There was a fellow who passed away that had figured out a way to build certain parts, but he passed away. It was, in any case, very expensive anyway >$250 back a few years ago, because I saw estimates of 5 to 6 hours of work to do the job.
 
I have a 1600 MK2 and I'm really satisfied. No failures. All of the automatic features work like a charm.

Has anyone tried the KAB Tonearm Fluid Damper on this model? If so, are there any particular cartridges that you have tried with the damper?
 
Does the SL-1301 count? I remember seeing these referred to as a cross between the SL-1600 and the SL-1600Mk2 (possibly with elements of the SL-1300Mk2, but without the horrid cueing mechanism). There were also the SL-1401 and SL-1501, hybrids of the SL-1700/1800/Mk2. I believe they were stop-gap models of sorts, sold for a brief period of time.

sl1301.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: LVB
Does the SL-1301 count? I remember seeing these referred to as a cross between the SL-1600 and the SL-1600Mk2 (possibly with elements of the SL-1300Mk2, but without the horrid cueing mechanism). There were also the SL-1401 and SL-1501, hybrids of the SL-1700/1800/Mk2. I believe they were stop-gap models of sorts, sold for a brief period of time.
[/IMG]

I'd say these models count as kin to the 1600/1700/1800.

Interesting decks. I was, until very recently, unaware of them, and if I caught reference before, misinterpreted it as a typo of SL-1310.
 
Back
Top Bottom