• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official -Technics SL-1600/1700/1800- Owners Thread

Does the SL-1301 count? I remember seeing these referred to as a cross between the SL-1600 and the SL-1600Mk2 (possibly with elements of the SL-1300Mk2, but without the horrid cueing mechanism). There were also the SL-1401 and SL-1501, hybrids of the SL-1700/1800/Mk2. I believe they were stop-gap models of sorts, sold for a brief period of time.

sl1301.jpg

Excellent turntable. I have refurbished a few of them. It is mechanically the same as an SL 1600 original (not MK2) but with Quartz Lock. So, t has the elegant and reliable mechanical auto mechanism of the SL 1600 and quartz lock. Plus. it sells for far less than the SL 1600 original or SL 1600 MK2. This is the TT to buy of the 1300-1800 series.
 
I wanted to avoid discussing this series because so much has been written about it. The autos and semi autos are known to have nearly a 100% failure rate and the repair is difficult to impossible. There was a fellow who passed away that had figured out a way to build certain parts, but he passed away. It was, in any case, very expensive anyway >$250 back a few years ago, because I saw estimates of 5 to 6 hours of work to do the job.

I recall that fella and his repairs. terribly sad to hear he passed away.

A great thing in the future is we'll be able to reproduce this part via a 3D printer. I would imagine it'd be possible to even do now, but perhaps not cheap yet.

For the skilled and patient, I imagine this part could be cast with resin and fiber.

It could be machined as well, but I would be wary of the cost of that.

Technics had a bulletin and repair part for this, but from the techs at the time, the repair part fared no better than the original.

I've fixed a few lesser tables using metal rod and tubing, epoxy, carbon fibre, and various meshes.
 
Does the SL-1301 count? I remember seeing these referred to as a cross between the SL-1600 and the SL-1600Mk2 (possibly with elements of the SL-1300Mk2, but without the horrid cueing mechanism). There were also the SL-1401 and SL-1501, hybrids of the SL-1700/1800/Mk2. I believe they were stop-gap models of sorts, sold for a brief period of time.

sl1301.jpg

Pretty uncommon table there, Adam! Didn't know you had one of these tucked away. Next time we go to the fest bring it along if you don't mind.
 
I had SL-1600, SL-1700MK2 and SL-1800MK2. I currently have two SL-1600MK2 tables, I love this particular model the best. If only there was a way to fix LEDs on one of them!
 
Does the SL-1301 count?

Yep, it sure does! It's basically the SL-1600 mechanism with the quartz locked drive electronics.

Here's the SL-1311 that I mentioned in post #25 (it's the Euro version of the 1301). Fantastic table and very hard to find. Hard to see, too (I have a hard time taking decent pics of black or dark gray gear).

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1830.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
As of about 20 minutes ago I'm the proud owner of an SL-1700. Just scroed it for $60. Everything seems tight and right. The dust cover only has minor scuffing that will easily buff out nicely.

It came with an Ortofon cart. Not sure which as the table is still in the trunk of my car. That is where it's going to stay until certain people go to sleep. Then I will sneak it into the garage and give it a good going over and play it on my system out there.

I AM NOT A COWARD! I know that's what you're thinking. But I'm not stupid either.

It's only been 10 days since I brought home a Micro Seiki and some people just don't get it.

So, am I in the club? Is there a handshake or anything?
 
Pretty uncommon table there, Adam! Didn't know you had one of these tucked away. Next time we go to the fest bring it along if you don't mind.

Sure thing, Paul! :yes: I've had it for a long time, and wasn't sure how uncommon it was. Picked it up at a record store several years ago for a not-quite-bargain price. Have had issues in the past with the quartz lock circuitry not being able to lock in, and the suspension is a bit funky, but it generally seems to works fine. Also, its tonearm seems to play more nicely with my Shure V-15 III cartridge and JICO SAS stylus than the arm on my SL-1200Mk1 does. :headscrat:dunno:
-Adam
 
Last edited:
Updated the first post to include all those who had their names in by 10 pm EST. Of course, we were then joined by a couple more. Sorry, guys, you'll have to wait until tomorrow. This heat is killing me, and my laptop is just making it worse.

But it's good to see so many joining in the fun. And for those 1300/1400/1500's out there who were asking, I didn't forget about you. Check the first post again.

I hope you like it.

Keep rocking the free world, ladies and gents!
 
As of about 20 minutes ago I'm the proud owner of an SL-1700. Just scroed it for $60. Everything seems tight and right. The dust cover only has minor scuffing that will easily buff out nicely.

It came with an Ortofon cart. Not sure which as the table is still in the trunk of my car. That is where it's going to stay until certain people go to sleep. Then I will sneak it into the garage and give it a good going over and play it on my system out there.

I AM NOT A COWARD! I know that's what you're thinking. But I'm not stupid either.

It's only been 10 days since I brought home a Micro Seiki and some people just don't get it.

So, am I in the club? Is there a handshake or anything?

Congratulations! You'll love it!

John
 
As of about 20 minutes ago I'm the proud owner of an SL-1700. Just scored it for $60. Everything seems tight and right. The dust cover only has minor scuffing that will easily buff out nicely.

It came with an Ortofon cart. Not sure which as the table is still in the trunk of my car. That is where it's going to stay until certain people go to sleep. Then I will sneak it into the garage and give it a good going over and play it on my system out there.

I AM NOT A COWARD! I know that's what you're thinking. But I'm not stupid either.

It's only been 10 days since I brought home a Micro Seiki and some people just don't get it.

So, am I in the club? Is there a handshake or anything?

Nope, no handshake...yet...

Welcome to the club (I'll add your name tomorrow to the [growing] list)! And congrats on the new table. The Ortofon RED works well, but is a bit loud for my tastes compared to the Nagaoka, which is more detailed. Besides, I can always turn the volume knob up a titch, right?

As for sneaking it in by the dark of night, I wish you luck. I'd have a smiley-face here to salute you, but there doesn't seem to be a saluting smiley (odd, considering there are aliens, S&M, and uzi's galore in there). So, instead I will simply salute you in the way of rock'n'roller's past: :rockon:
 
So really, this should be the Official Technics SL-1600/1610/1650/1600MK2/1610MK2/1301/1311/1700/1710/1700MK2/1710MK2/1401/1411/1800/1810/1800MK2/1810MK2/1501/1511 Owners Thread?

Forgetting any? If not, that's 19 models to keep track of.
 
So really, this should be the Official Technics SL-1600/1610/1650/1600MK2/1610MK2/1301/1311/1700/1710/1700MK2/1710MK2/1401/1411/1800/1810/1800MK2/1810MK2/1501/1511 Owners Thread?

Forgetting any? If not, that's 19 models to keep track of.

Splitting hairs a bit there. If you drop out the models that are only a color variation, you end up with 10.

John
 
Ok, so like a thief in the night ( not really, I did pay for it ) I snuck my 1700 into the garage. The Cart is an Ortofon VMS 20E mkII. just looking up the reviews / specs.

anyone know anything about this cart?
 
Can I join? Just picked up this SL 1650 with a Shure M95ED cart on it.:D
 

Attachments

  • Piomeer SL 1650.jpg
    Piomeer SL 1650.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 106
Lucky dog, Bob! Really good changer!

John

Thanks, John. It was gifted to me by the same folk that let me scavenge a pair of Altec 604E's out of their attic. I must be doing something right cause I know it's not taste for clean livin'.:smoke:

How have you been, my friend? We're just about ready to bail on this burg in the O.C., California. I need a little rain in the forecast and this desert wasteland isn't looking like it'll be forthcoming with such any time soon. I had better look up Elcoholic for one of his paralax mirrors first.:D
 
Thanks, John. It was gifted to me by the same folk that let me scavenge a pair of Altec 604E's out of their attic. I must be doing something right cause I know it's not taste for clean livin'.:smoke:

How have you been, my friend? We're just about ready to bail on this burg in the O.C., California. I need a little rain in the forecast and this desert wasteland isn't looking like it'll be forthcoming with such any time soon. I had better look up Elcoholic for one of his paralax mirrors first.:D

You're definitely living right!

Me? I'm good for an old fart, I guess.

So, where do you think you'll fetch up, the PNW or NorCal?

John
 
Back
Top Bottom