• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Alright - Who can fire up a list of parts for RSII xover?

MaxSeven

Word Skeptic
I'm itching to replace the caps etc on my RSII crossovers. Can anyone provide some info on this, such as a parts list of things to get from Parts Express or other source?

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
The reason I ask for help on this, is due to the following:

The spec sheet calls for a cap with a value of 1600uf. What technology (type of cap) would be best suited for replacing this? The diagram does not specify voltage either, so I would have to assume that the voltage ratings are not that important (since a crossover is passive anyway)?

Parts Express, to my knowledge, does not inventory a 1600uf capacitor.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
For the Voltage, the higher the better :)

Minimum I would take 63V. And don't thrust the schematics on the net because they aren't always correct :) .

The voltage is listed on the capacitor itsself. So just open the speaker and then see what has been written on the capacitor :)
 
No wait, use at your own risk;

1600uf 100v non polar cap
125uf 100v non polar
600uf 100v non polar
150uf 100v non polar
12.5uf 100v non polar (film caps) (2)
6.8uf 100v non polar (film cap)
12uf 100v non polar (film cap)

Obviously this is each speaker.

Evan
 
No wait, use at your own risk;

1600uf 100v non polar cap
125uf 100v non polar
600uf 100v non polar
150uf 100v non polar
12.5uf 100v non polar (film caps) (2)
6.8uf 100v non polar (film cap)
12uf 100v non polar (film cap)

Obviously this is each speaker.

Evan

Great, thanks man! I'll check madisound and get a total cost to see if I can afford the rebuilds.
 
Yeah, its not "cheap" these caps are monsters LOL. All the parts are listed on madisounds site.

Evan
 
But use higher Voltages if possible. They have better specs normally.

And check for errors on the schematics from the Infinity-classics site before dismanteling the X-over. And do them one by one, so you have one to look back to.
 
No wait, use at your own risk;

1600uf 100v non polar cap
125uf 100v non polar
600uf 100v non polar
150uf 100v non polar
12.5uf 100v non polar (film caps) (2)
6.8uf 100v non polar (film cap)
12uf 100v non polar (film cap)

You found 1600 uf non polars at Madisound? I've been looking for the big non polars for some time and haven't been able to find any. I couldn't find them on Madisound's website, either. Am I looking in the wrong place or do they not sell them off their website?

David
 
David, I think I was strapping multiple Bennic caps together to make the right uf.


This is the list I made directly from my crossover, not off a schematic.

Evan
 
$30 each expensive? Not really, but I'd be very surprised if you found anyone who makes a large-can electrolytic bipolar capacitor anywhere near that size.
 
Those Bennic caps are a poor substitute for the original high-current electrolytics. If that's the best you can find, I'd leave the original electrolytics alone unless they are leaking.
 
Do you have any other suggestions? I have a couple of the larger caps that have leaks etc..

There has to be somewhere to get something similar to the old ones right?

Evan
 
Your choices for high-value non-polar electrolytic replacements are:

1. A whole bunch of poly caps in parallel, or
2. Back-to-back series'd electrolytics to simulate a non-polar cap (i.e., wired +--+).
 
Back
Top Bottom