• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bought a Sumiko Pearl today!

Trower

Two-Headed Boy
Well it was a bit of an impulse buy. I was originally going to get another Grado to replace the one I ruined, but the Needledoctor had an open box one on there closeout page for 60 bux and I just couldn't resist:no: Its going to get here next week, so the waiting game commences!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Nice price. I've heard that the Sumiko Pearl is one of best carts in the $100 price range. When you've had a chance to listen to it please post your thoughts on how it sounds.
 
Its a VERY nice cartridge for $60. I owned one for a while, and at times I wish I still had it around. Smooth highs with enough detail to get the job done without being glaring, warm mids and a very nice, round low end.
 
I will definatly write up about how I like it once I get it. I had heard really good things about the cart, namingly that it had a really lush midrange but still had a clear, crisp top end, and was an exceptional tracker. So I decided to give it a whirl, how could I pass it up for 60 bux!

I also have heard that the Shelter 201 is a rebadged pearl, so if shelter put there name on it, it must be ok:thmbsp:
 
Speaking of ruined Grado's, I have broke two stylus in as many years on a Grado I have. I always remove stylus when mounting / unmounting to keep from damaging, but it did not work twice !
I was told there is a Grado stylus tool, is that true ? Never seen one.
 
Speaking of ruined Grado's, I have broke two stylus in as many years on a Grado I have. I always remove stylus when mounting / unmounting to keep from damaging, but it did not work twice !
I was told there is a Grado stylus tool, is that true ? Never seen one.

The tool usually comes with the purchase of a new Grado cartridge. But don't worry. The only time I've ever borked a Grado stylus is when I was using the stylus tool!
 
I also have heard that the Shelter 201 is a rebadged pearl, so if shelter put there name on it, it must be ok:thmbsp:

That would be a hoot if its true. The two cartridges do have a resemblance, but the 201 usually goes for close to $200. You can get a Pearl for typically less than $100.
 
I own a Pearl (among many other carts far pricier) and it is a fantastic cart. If I only had $100 to buy a cart, the Pearl would be tops on the list. The entire Sumiko line is the best bang for the buck IMO.

James R.
 
Hey Trower,

Thanks for the glowing endorsement. I am looking to upgrade from a Grado black on a Thorens TD147 Jubilee any time now and will give a Sumiko Pearl serious consideration, provided it's a good match with the stock arm.
 
That would be a hoot if its true. The two cartridges do have a resemblance, but the 201 usually goes for close to $200. You can get a Pearl for typically less than $100.

Ya from what I've read Shelter gets the bodies, but puts there own stylus on it, which is a 3x7 elliptical, and the pearl is a 2x7. But I believe the Shelter is a nude stylus and the Sumiko is a bonded. Haven't really found any comparison reviews of the two, just good reviews of both, so hopefully it wont disappoint:music:

Hey Trower,

Thanks for the glowing endorsement. I am looking to upgrade from a Grado black on a Thorens TD147 Jubilee any time now and will give a Sumiko Pearl serious consideration, provided it's a good match with the stock arm.

I think that is should mate pretty well with your arm on the thorens, its a middle compliance cart that works well with quite a range of arms, or so I've read:D

As far as the sound, it looks like it wont be here till thursday, so I'll have to wait till then to hear it:tears:
 
Well the Pearl came today, unfortuneatly I only got 2 records in:( So this is a very early opinion of how I like it.

Just for referance the carts I have heard myself are as follows, Audio Technicas: 120e, 95e, 440, 95sa, 12e, CN5626al ADC: qlm32, Grado: Black, Red, Master, Shure: m97xe, V15 III and I think maybe a few other "budget" carts that escape me.....

First up is the record I always use for first reference, Duke Ellington: Ellington Indigos, the six eye stereo version. As soon as the music started it was apparent to me I was going to like this cart! And after listening to the first side, I did......very much so. It was just a superb tracker, the last track on the frist side is the only track with any singing, bad idea for cheap carts.....always some sibilance, but not with the Pearl. It glided right through the last track with the same fidelity as the frist! It also had very good channel separation, you could define the position of each instrument in the studio very well. And as I was hoping, the midrange was almost Grado good! And my other hope was not let down either, the upper registers were great, liquid yet crisp, nice and airy, not rolled off at all! I found that I had liked the top end of my AT 95sa but the Pearl made it seem harsh in comparison. The low end was also good, the Upright was very life like, you could hear the finger nuances, you could hear the body vibrations, you could hear the strings, all very defined, it rivaled an 800 dollar Grado, it was that good! Though the bass was quite accurate I found it a tad bloated on the lowest frequencies. But not too much to be annoying.

Next up was one of my all time favorites The Dark Side Of The Moon, the 30th reissue. It 5again handled sibilance very well, with only a few times hearing very slight, though I must admit I've never not heard it so maybe I cant fault the cart for this:scratch2: One thing that really stuck out to me was the accurate reproduction of distortion on the guitar, just amazing, sounded just like it should. On a The Great Gig In The Sky, the female vocals with the piano was just breathtaking, and NO sibilance!!! On Money, what stood out that really had escaped me with other carts was in the intro with the bass the guitar in the back ground, it was very separate, not that I couldn't tell the difference with other carts, it just separated them and gave them there own space way better than my previous carts ever could. And again the distortion was spot on, and fantastic sounding......gave me goosebumps!. The drums also were terrific, simbels were airy and not congested, and not overbright, just a thing of beauty! Us And Them when the sax chorus and everyone is all going at it together, has always been a bit congested, with the Pearl it still is (I was ruined by an 800 dollar Grado) but much less, and again it rivaled an 800 dollar Grado in that department! With the chorus blazing the sax still sounded great too, as good as the solo's, which I think is quite a feat. The organ in the background really shined to, was again more noticeable and separate from the rest of the sound going on. Any Coulor You Like has never been heard so well before by me (have only head Us and Them with the highend Grado), the keys were exceptional, as was the guitar. The channel separation was again just great. The guitar was so life like, I just cant get over it......pick noise and everything!

All in all so far I really am liking this little gem. It preforms well outside its price at 100 bux, and is the best tracker I have encountered! I would most defiantly recommend this cart to anyone.

More to come........possibly by this time next week! Hope this is a good little blurb that makes you want to hear it for yourself, Nick
 
Nice review Trower,

I will put the Sumiko on my short list, along with the 440mla and Ortofon. BTW- can I ask which table you mounted the Sumiko on?
 
Nice review Trower,

I will put the Sumiko on my short list, along with the 440mla and Ortofon. BTW- can I ask which table you mounted the Sumiko on?

Thanks:D

The table I have it on is a DIY one:thmbsp: Here is a link to the build I did, I will post some pictures with the Pearl on it soon, Nick
imgp3347kb4.jpg
 
Thanks for the great review. :thmbsp:

Sounds like the Pearl is a real sleeper around here and am glad it turned out to be (more?) than you expected. I'm going have to try and give the Pearl a listen.

A DIY table, wow you don't see that every day! Have to get back to work now but am going to follow that link, you've got me curious.
 
Well, I used to own this cartridge and liked it. I thought I'd wander over to the Needle Doctor page and see if they had any more good Sumiko deals, and lo and behold, they had a Sumiko Pearl that had come off another turntable, w/o original packaging, with warranty, for $50.

It'll be here next week!
 
A cart needs time to break-in - usually about 50 hours, so any review of it prior to that is not fair to the cart. Although I think that a lot of break-in stories are BS for many components for carts it is true. The stylus assembly needs to be softened up by movement and the difference can be quite stunning.
 
Back
Top Bottom