• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Chicago Telephone Supply CTS Speakers

CTS Woofers

I believe the woofers in my Dahlquist DQ-10's are CTS, other then a reforming job they have worked well.
 
I believe the woofers in my Dahlquist DQ-10's are CTS, other then a reforming job they have worked well.

Those should be Advent woofers, I believe they would've been built by Advent in Massachusets (before the Jensen days).
 
I know this is a very old thread, new guy here, but after much searching on what i bought at flea market yesterday, i have ( maybe ) determined they are CTS speakers? The code on them is 137 738's20190713_122119.jpg The pair are mint, each has 2 horns, 2 midrange and one massive 15 in woofer....I was told they came out of a console. I brought them home, hooked them up, and with out any boxes, these get real loud and sound very clear. Anything someone could add would greatly be appreciated...looking forward to building some boxes and hearing what they should really sound like....thanks
 
Anything someone could add would greatly be appreciated...looking forward to building some boxes and hearing what they should really sound like....thanks
Not sure what kind of info you are looking for, but yes, that woofer is indeed a cts.

I have never seen a cts woofer used in a vented cabinet. They always seem to be used in an acoustic suspension system. So if you want to use that woofer as it was intended to be used, build an acoustic suspension cabinet.

For ideas, I would look at Fisher xp speaker systems. Such as xp10, 15, 16. This will help you with cabinet volume as those Fisher xp cabinets may have used that exact 15in woofer. You can also look at crossover points that Fisher used.
 
IMG_20171208_171641046_BURST001.jpg

My circa 1971 Stereoland House Brand ACOUSTIFLEX model 12 are all CTS driver's
15 inch woofers with Alnico magnets
2 10 inch Mid-range Horns and 2 Phenolic Ring Tweeters....
I put in a super-tweeter back in 1983 from RadioShack.....
IMG_20190703_150844638.jpg
 
I know this is a very old thread, new guy here, but after much searching on what i bought at flea market yesterday, i have ( maybe ) determined they are CTS speakers? The code on them is 137 738'sView attachment 1562191 The pair are mint, each has 2 horns, 2 midrange and one massive 15 in woofer....I was told they came out of a console. I brought them home, hooked them up, and with out any boxes, these get real loud and sound very clear. Anything someone could add would greatly be appreciated...looking forward to building some boxes and hearing what they should really sound like....thanks
A Front Picture would be nice to see...
if possible
 
My Rectilinear III Highboys use a CTS woofer. My speakers are a later version of the Highboy from about 1974. Rectilinear used other manufactures for their woofer in earlier versions.

I think these speakers have one of the best sounding low ends of any vintage speaker I have listened to. It's probably a combination of the quality of the CTS driver, solid construction of the Highboy cabinet, and crossover design.

Cheers,

Snade

rectilinear_III_highboy.jpg rectilinear_III_drivers.jpg rectilinear_woofer_3.jpg
 
Last edited:
A Front Picture would be nice to see...
if possible

I haven't gotten around to taking them off the board yet. The actual fronts of the speakers themselves I have even yet to see. and like every old speaker, the front of board is simply coarse grille cloth, mint, no rips, stapled on and maybe even glued on?
One is red with white stripe with black and the other black with white stripe..not sure if color faded with time or what? The guy said they came out of same console and each pair is identical with woofer mid and horns.Wish he had taken the time to remeber what console it was.... I'm also still coming up with a plan as to the size of the box I want them in. I am currently enjoying listening to them as is, really love how clear and full they sound. not to mention how loud, although I did not push them but did test the waters a bit :)~ looking forward to hearing them enclosed. When i get them apart here in next few weeks ( i am curious as well to see ) i will post a pic and then again when i get them in some boxes. Would it be safe to assume that the 738 after code 137 is year 1973 in the 8 week? There is also 906084-2 above the 137 738 on the square magnet. There is nothing stamped on back of rim. If i didn't work so much i would have them built already but bills need to be paid first :) I attached some pics of front of grilles...thanks to all for the input and info.......the newbie.





20190716_154440.jpg 20190716_154440.jpg 20190716_154444.jpg 20190716_154455.jpg 20190716_154458.jpg
 
Not sure what kind of info you are looking for, but yes, that woofer is indeed a cts.

I have never seen a cts woofer used in a vented cabinet. They always seem to be used in an acoustic suspension system. So if you want to use that woofer as it was intended to be used, build an acoustic suspension cabinet.
[snip]
.

There are a few vented speakers using the CTS, namely the Rectilinear III
 
Years/decades ago there was a speaker builder near where I live (greater Vancouver, BC area) called WEB. An acronym for Wilsdon Engineering Bros. They made a variety of enclosure types and used CTS components somewhat exclusively.

I currently have a pair of vented 3 ways with a 12" CTS (stencilled Made in Mexico) and a 2 way 8" with a 10" passive.

They made transmission lines too as well as air suspension and to the best of my knowledge, all models incorporated CTS drivers.

Their speakers were not cheap to buy, featuring exceptional cabinet construction and finish. If one went by physical size, I remember a pair of WEB 12" 3 ways being more expensive than a similar size pair of JBL's.

I do not believe CTS components would have been utilized had they not been considered of respectable quality.
 
fran1970: yes that is probably a date code. 137 is definitely CTS.

You should replace those ancient capacitors that are supposed to be acting as a crossover but are probably woefully out of spec.

Around the same time, CTS made some very heavy 15" woofers with doped accordion surrounds (that are shiny and sticky looking today). Impressive specs including an Fs down to 30 or 28 Hz. They could dig pretty deep.
 
Would it be safe to assume that the 738 after code 137 is year 1973 in the 8 week?
More likely the 38th week of 1967.

CTS built a wide variety of speakers for a wide variety of applications, and customers. They built speakers to the specs requested by the customer, and built something for probably at least 80% of all US speaker manufacturers in the golden era. They made some really good stuff.

In the late 60's their lead engineer would form the Eminence Corporation and eventually buy/assume all speaker manufacturing from CTS.
 
fran1970: yes that is probably a date code. 137 is definitely CTS.

You should replace those ancient capacitors that are supposed to be acting as a crossover but are probably woefully out of spec.

Around the same time, CTS made some very heavy 15" woofers with doped accordion surrounds (that are shiny and sticky looking today). Impressive specs including an Fs down to 30 or 28 Hz. They could dig pretty deep.
 
Back
Top Bottom