Wigwam Jones
Caesar non supra grammati
I know that CTS supplied many of the speaker drivers for many loudspeaker manufacturers in the earlier days of 'hi-fi' audio. I see them all the time when I open up an old speaker. Often they still work; and often they have relatively small alnico magnets, cloth or rubberized surrounds, and stamped steel baskets. However, I also realize that doesn't necessarily make them bad!
I found out that the company is still around after all these years:
http://www.ctscorp.com/about/beginnings.htm
But my real question - is there anything particularly good or bad about these old speaker drivers? Would one necessarily replace a working CTS driver just because it was a CTS driver, or is it generally acceptable if it's in working condition? They sure do sell for low prices here and there; a sleeper or appropriately priced for what they are? Would you ever build a speaker based on vintage CTS drivers the way some people do with EV or Utah drivers? What about their full-range speaker drivers (yes, I'm familiar with the various full-range discussion forums and websites)?
Interested in any comments pro or con about CTS speaker drivers.
I found out that the company is still around after all these years:
http://www.ctscorp.com/about/beginnings.htm
But my real question - is there anything particularly good or bad about these old speaker drivers? Would one necessarily replace a working CTS driver just because it was a CTS driver, or is it generally acceptable if it's in working condition? They sure do sell for low prices here and there; a sleeper or appropriately priced for what they are? Would you ever build a speaker based on vintage CTS drivers the way some people do with EV or Utah drivers? What about their full-range speaker drivers (yes, I'm familiar with the various full-range discussion forums and websites)?
Interested in any comments pro or con about CTS speaker drivers.
